• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2017 ] Timeshare Presentation w/o spouse

RyeZingSon

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
so i have a vacation and presentation at Holiday Inn Vacation Club in July. My spouse cannot make it. If I bring a power of attorney notarized stating I can make the decision will that be accepted? Thanks.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Timeshare presentations are hard-sell, high pressure, and long. There is no reason to go to one, much less to go to all this trouble.

RyeZingSon

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
Thank you for your opinion. However, respectfully that was not my question.

I would like to know if I can go alone with a POA in hand in order to get my perks.

Thanks.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

I would like to know if I can go alone with a POA in hand in order to get my perks.

Thanks.
Not likely.
I'm not sure what the POA does other than to theoretically bind her. You can buy a timeshare without your spouse. You do not need her permission to buy one, either expressly or through a POA. If you walked in alone and said you wanted to buy, they would happily sell you one.

I presume they told you you both need be present to get freebies, as most do (and the fact that you want to bring a POA as her stand-in.) They want the spouse there, because otherwise people use the excuse "I can't commit to this without my wife agreeing, etc." They also have emotional sales tools where they pit spouses against each other, make one feel guilty for "not caring about the family and children," etc.

For these reasons, and others, if they told you you need your spouse, most likely they will not give you the freebies if she's not there.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I went to a sales presentation at Orange Lake with my sister. We never got past the lobby, we were told that if we had spouses( which we both do) then they had to be there too. They didn't even care that we said we were going to buy a timeshare together. They also enforce the one in three rule.
My husband and I bought a resale week at Orange Lake many years later.
Think of this as a way out of the presentation. There are many HIVC resorts you can buy resale.
Good Luck!
Silentg

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

Just call Holiday Inn Vacation Club and ask them your question. I am sure that they will answer. I suspect that you will be given what @davidvel has stated.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
so i have a vacation and presentation at Holiday Inn Vacation Club in July. My spouse cannot make it. If I bring a power of attorney notarized stating I can make the decision will that be accepted? Thanks.

And the real answer is: there is no answer. Individual properties have different rules, which they may or may not follow. I have attended multiple presentations within three systems. In all three systems, I have attended and then received incentives both by myself, and with my spouse. At one, they even said if married, a spouse must attend, noted my wedding ring and put me down as 'single'. Other times, I was told I could attend an 'update", but no incentive without a spouse attending.

In some cases it stems from state laws wherein if married, a spouse must sign when property is involved. (Or so I'm told)

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
They will not let you attend and if you try to they will charge you the full rack rate of the stay.

This is the terms and conditions of one of the HICV promotional packages: (the blue emphasis is mine)

Eligibility. No one is excluded from visiting our property or purchasing a timeshare. You must meet certain financial qualifications and attend a two-hour sales presentation (tour) in order to participate in this promotion. If you do not attend the full presentation or are disqualified at the time of the tour, the difference between the special package price and the retail rate for the applicable property at that time, or $300 (whichever is greater) plus premium cost and taxes, will be charged to your credit card.Minimum qualifications: at least 23 (twenty-three) years of age, household income of $50,000 USD (the combined income of unmarried couples living together can be used to determine “household” income), gainfully employed (not to exclude retirees or the disabled with household income as described above) and creditworthy. You may not be in bankruptcy at the time of the tour. You must present a personal major credit card (prepaid cards not accepted) and identification such as a valid U.S. driver’s license, valid U.S. state identification card or valid passport at time of sales presentation. If married or cohabitating, couples must attend sales presentation together and must present the aforementioned identifications (cohabitant’s identifications must contain matching addresses).

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
What if you just say that you are single? Are they really going to check anywhere to confirm it? And even if they did find evidence of a spouse somewhere, like on a credit report, couldn't you say that your spouse died last month?

Proving that someone is married or single is not as simple as it sounds.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think the OP booked it as a married couple and now the spouse can't go. I think it would have worked if originally booked as single adult. HICV can be quite strict when it comes to those promotional visits. At the resort itself they may or may not invite you to a gifted update if spouse is not present but a promotional visit during the summer has virtually no chance to pass without the spouse present.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
What if you just say that you are single? Are they really going to check anywhere to confirm it?

Exactly. Do you really think they can confirm income? Employment? Age is about the only thing they can confirm.

The marketing/sign up people just want to meet their quota and fill every spot in every 'tour'. There is hell to raise if a sales person is left with no 'mark' at presentation time. Now, if they have more 'marks' than they have sales people, they will get a lot more picky.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the OP booked it as a married couple and now the spouse can't go. I think it would have worked if originally booked as single adult.

so i have a vacation and presentation at Holiday Inn Vacation Club in July.

Not sure if the OP really has a promotion stay or just a vacation. If he has booked a 'promotional' stay, he may be REQUIRED to have the spouse or will have to pay FULL PRICE for the the stay.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not sure if the OP really has a promotion stay or just a vacation. If he has booked a 'promotional' stay, he may be REQUIRED to have the spouse or will have to pay FULL PRICE for the the stay.
Maybe I read it wrong but I couldn't imagine that the OP so worried about a regular vacation with a pre arranged presentation that they would bring the POA just so they could attend.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I agree with tschwa2 - if it was a paid vacation, he could just cancel the presentation.

Sn0wbird

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry that I'm bringing this old thread back, but my situation is a bit different. I am married but my spouse name is not on the deed of the Massanutten timeshare, just me. However, his name is on the RCI account (from another timeshare). When I made a reservation at Massanutten through RCI, both of our names are listed. I only put my name on the Massanutten timeshare hoping to be able to go to the presentation without my spouse. Is it possible to go by myself because I'm the only one on the deed?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Generally both spouses need to be present. You may be able to go but not receive gifting. Perhaps they won’t know you have a spouse since only one name on the deed. If so you could lie and say you don’t have a spouse. But that may not be good karma.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I only put my name on the Massanutten timeshare hoping to be able to go to the presentation without my spouse. Is it possible to go by myself because I'm the only one on the deed?
I would check what the contract says. Most of the time, the agreement for you to attend the presentation and receive the gift is that, if you're married (or in a long-term committed relationship), both spouses/partners have to be present. They might have you sign a statement first saying that, if you are married, both spouses/partners must attend.

Again, check what the agreement says.