• Please check out the review contest thread here vote for the best review and cast your vote for the best review to start 2020! winner gets a $50 gift card!
  • The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 26 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG is starting a new contest that will award $50 to the best review submitted within the next two weeks!!

Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $14,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $14 Million dollars
  • We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2016 ] What is the Best Marriott or Westin resort in Palm Springs/Desert???

crf450x

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are so many choices of resorts available between the Marriott and Westin properties. Not familiar with any of them and would like to know a ranking of best to least based on best pools, activities and resort feel. Have kids so a pool area with lazy rivers and water park like features is a plus.

Last edited:

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are so many choices of resorts available between the Marriott and Westin properties. Not familiar with any of them and would like to know a ranking of best to least based on best pools, activities and resort feel. Have kids so a pool area with lazy rivers and water park like features is a plus.
Check out trip advisor. I'm biased since I own Westin Desert Willow Villas in Palm Desert. I think Westins are nicer and more upscale the Marriotts.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Welk
Marriott Desert Springs

Marriott Desert Springs is a fantastic, beautifully-maintained resort with lots of restaurants, recreation activities, and beautiful surroundings.

Westin Mission Hills is also tasteful and lovely. Just remember that both Mission Hills and Desert Willow are voluntary resorts, meaning that your resale value is negatively impacted by the fact that you cannot trade in to other Starwood resorts, nor can your potential buyer if you choose to sell it.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Check out the TUG Resorts and Reviews for this region, where you will see them ranked.

VacationForever

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My ranking based on room size, furnishings, restaurants and amenities:
1. Marriott's Desert Springs 1
2. Westin Mission Hills
3. Marriott's Desert Springs 2
4. Westin Desert Willow

I have stayed with the above countless times and they are all great resorts. Both Desert Springs and Mission Hills are superior to Desert Willow due to the affiliation with the hotel side. I have not stayed at Marriott's Shadow Ridge.

crf450x

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great info. Any of the resorts have lazy rivers or decent slides?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Great info. Any of the resorts have lazy rivers or decent slides?
Shadow Ridge has a slide, and I'd recommend it over Desert Springs for kids. Search the forums, there are many threads comparing these resorts.

Ken555

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Both Desert Springs and Mission Hills are superior to Desert Willow due to the affiliation with the hotel side.
All depends on perspective. I prefer Desert Willow since it doesn't have a hotel nearby.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Plat,RCI pts,Shell,WorldMark,OKW,SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP; Blue Ridge Village.
I personally loved Mission Hills, but I am inclined to love a resort with lots of television channels for our evenings in the unit, and I loved the water slide, too. I rarely go into the pools, but we were in the pool and the very private hot tub quite a bit on our trip in early December.

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
We really enjoyed Shadow Ridge (they have a slide and a nice pool but nothing extraordinary) a couple of years ago. The kids keep asking to go back as it was a very relaxing stay.

Ryes

Reaction score
I thought I’d post here to update it instead of starting a new thread. Stayed at the Marriott Desert Springs I and II last year and am now at the Westin Desert Willow.

The Westin has 4 pool areas, 2 with water slides. One of those 4 pool areas is a quiet pool and it is still a good size and someone comes around to take your order. The Desert springs has more pool areas but many are very small and no one takes your orders at the smaller ones. The pool loungers have nice cushioning on them at the Westin but not at the Marriott.

There is room service at the Westin but not at the Marriott. This is a big deal to me as the Marriott has no a food options once the pool food area closes, besides the little marketplace store, other than traipsing all the way to the Marriott hotel... this might not be as big a deal for you. In fairness to the Marriott, that marketplace store has more selection of food/groceries than the Westin marketplace.

The 1 bedroom is big at the Marriott compared to the Westin.

At the big pools at the desert springs where they do take your order there is louder music. There is no music at the smaller pools. At the quiet pool at the Westin it is more of a background relaxing sound for the music and other music at the other pools.
Desert springs has a nearby hotel facilities you can hang out at (for a fee or free depending on which day of the week and which desert springs villa - 1 or 2).

The Westin has more early bird specials on 4 different menus (well that’s counting the marketplace’s smoothies, so 3 with food options).

Marriott has a recliner on the patio. Westin doesn’t (just chairs and table)

The studio in Marriott’s villas 1 didn’t even have a water source from which u could fill up in the room, other than the bathroom sink.

All in, the resorts seem pretty equal but the room (1 bedroom and up) seems better at the Marriott due to its large size, while the Westin resort itself feels slightly more upscale other than the actual room size

Last edited:

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were just at Marriott Desert Springs Villas 1. They look like they've just been remodeled. The studio units have an almost normal size fridge and a bar sink.