• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2016 ] My travails with II shortstays

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to let you know about a recent experience I had with II.

I have a highest of the high season studio in Oceans Landing, and have traded it for resorts like Massanutten mountainside villas, Ocean high, and the colonies, and the Mayflower in DC using shortstays to get two stays out of my ownership at Oceans Landing.

Now II has apparently severely restricted which resort I can shortstay exchange into. They have out right taken away Ocean high and the colonies. They have left Massanutten mountainside but now restrict my ability to book a shortstay only into studios and 1bdrs.

I still am able to see the Marriott Mayflower in DC, but that is probably due to that Marriott only having hotel units.

So now I'm stuck with a Oceans Landing deposit into II that I doubt I will be able to use.

I called to see if perhaps they would allow me to book two 1bdr shortstays simultaneously for the same dates, so that I can continue to get 2bdr units. The answer came back that two shortstays cannot be booked simultaneously, the first one must be booked, and then only after a couple of business days, the second half of that shortstay may be booked. This means that there is no guarantee that I'll be able to book two 1bdr units for the same dates. And by the way, shortstay bookings are final.

I then asked about performing a regular (non-shortsay) flexexchange and using the choose two program. I was thinking I could perhaps invite another family to come with us to Williamsburg. The answer came back that the "chose two" unit would be restricted to a studio or 1bdr unit, which means we probably wont be able to invite anyone with kids, which is our preference.

I am seriously considering letting my II membership expire at this point, I hope things change, but if they dont, I may be have to cut my loses.

Had I known that II would be playing these games, I would have gladly just used my timeshare, instead of depositing with them.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I assume youre talking about Ocean Landings in Cocoa Beach. If so it may be a quality issue together with supply demand for studio. Even though high season, its a standard resort with mediocre ratings and a studio which will have lower demand than larger units. Even though you traded into certain units before, II does adjust trade power from time tio time based on supply/demand. Thats probably what happened.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
I assume youre talking about Ocean Landings in Cocoa Beach. If so it may be a quality issue together with supply demand for studio. Even though high season, its a standard resort with mediocre ratings and a studio which will have lower demand than larger units. Even though you traded into certain units before, II does adjust trade power from time tio time based on supply/demand. Thats probably what happened.

It is no doubt what happened to me and other studio owners.

What irks me is that this makes no sense.

Why lock me and other studio owners out of units that have low trading power just because those units are 2bdr?

I know my studio is not a two bedroom, but I'm almost certain that it would not go unused because of the seasons it's in, and II will benefit.

It seems plain mean on II's part.

I'm not trying to book a high demand resort, I'm deliberately trying to go in the shoulder season. Again, had I known this might happen, I would not have deposited my timeshare to begin with.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I was looking at the ShortStay FAQs and saw this "Q What unit size can I trade for? A unit with private sleeping capacity that is equal to or less than the private sleeping capacity of the unit deposited."

Given that, I thought you could only trade a studio in to a studio using ShortStay?

Perhaps II is just tightening their restriction as written?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
This seems to indicate that II is using this logic: a 2bdr in a low quality resort in the shoulder season has higher trade power than a 1bdr in an Elite resort in the high season.

That's just plain nuts

The problem isn't with the 1 br's it is mainly with the studios. I can see the logic somewhat. Timeshares are geared more toward families. Most traveling groups of 2 are just as likely to be happy with a single hotel room, which is basically what many studios are. So all families of 4 or more are usually going to pass up even an elite studio and take the mid quality 2 br. Even many couples would pass over a studio in favor of at least a 1 br. You are trying to do a double upgrade to get to a 2 br. I have a 1 br that sees almost the identical inventory as a 2 br. In the dead of winter, looking at the beach in HHI it can go up to a 3 br, it has a lot more difficulty jumping up during shoulder and won't in prime. There are a lot less 3 br's out there so it doesn't matter as much.

I've never used a short stay but I look periodically. Short stays have always (at least for me in the last 3 years) seemed like a harder venue to trade up, again with the exception of off off season.

I sold back my Marriott lock off because it split into a studio and a one bedroom. The one bedroom traded great. The studio, with a lot of hard work usually ended up with something but not enough to make it worth keeping.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The terms state that you can only short stay exchange into the same private sleeping capacity. It has always been this way in the terms. The fact that it is letting you get a 1BR with a Studio is more than the terms allow.

That said I am pretty sure I have never been able to short stay exchange into a 2BR with a studio. This is using a top resort high trading power studio. In fact when they first started the program you couldn't even get a 1BR with a studio. It was programmed strictly like for like in size. They added one step above in size some time later (Studio->1BR & 1BR->2BR).

What would happen if everyone could get 12 nights in a 2BR with a studio wherever they wanted to go? It's an impossibility.

Last edited:

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just an update on this.

I contacted Mark DelCampo, and through him I was able to cancel my deposit and get my timeshare back.

I'm as happy as can be :whoopie:

However, this means that II is becoming less useful to me, and RCI points more so.

This is the third exchange attempt that has miserably failed with II. Meanwhile, I have 5 different exchanges (1 in poconos, 2 in ocean city, 2 in myrtle beach) with RCI that I am really looking forward to.

I really hope II doesnt let RCI monopolize all my exchange transactions.

nancyyy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
worldmark
I just wanted to let you know about a recent experience I had with II.

I have a highest of the high season studio in Oceans Landing, and have traded it for resorts like Massanutten mountainside villas, Ocean high, and the colonies, and the Mayflower in DC using shortstays to get two stays out of my ownership at Oceans Landing.

Now II has apparently severely restricted which resort I can shortstay exchange into. They have out right taken away Ocean high and the colonies. They have left Massanutten mountainside but now restrict my ability to book a shortstay only into studios and 1bdrs.

I still am able to see the Marriott Mayflower in DC, but that is probably due to that Marriott only having hotel units.

So now I'm stuck with a Oceans Landing deposit into II that I doubt I will be able to use.

I called to see if perhaps they would allow me to book two 1bdr shortstays simultaneously for the same dates, so that I can continue to get 2bdr units. The answer came back that two shortstays cannot be booked simultaneously, the first one must be booked, and then only after a couple of business days, the second half of that shortstay may be booked. This means that there is no guarantee that I'll be able to book two 1bdr units for the same dates. And by the way, shortstay bookings are final.

I then asked about performing a regular (non-shortsay) flexexchange and using the choose two program. I was thinking I could perhaps invite another family to come with us to Williamsburg. The answer came back that the "chose two" unit would be restricted to a studio or 1bdr unit, which means we probably wont be able to invite anyone with kids, which is our preference.

I am seriously considering letting my II membership expire at this point, I hope things change, but if they dont, I may be have to cut my loses.

Had I known that II would be playing these games, I would have gladly just used my timeshare, instead of depositing with them.
This is an old post but just wanted to see if how its going with your Oceans Landing studio timeshare as far as trading. I was looking at purchasing either a studio or 1 bedroom for trading on II.

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
Difficult to tell whether OL has been subject to the reduction in Trading power that some systems in II have experienced this year, as they ahve smaller volumes of people providing input.
Whatever you buy, remember that trading in II and any trading power is a discretionary benefit so can be changed at any time.
OL has been a resort that has traded very well in II for those that know how to use it well, but its worth remembering that the below is from the very first FAQ on the II website. Some resorts may continue to trade above their intrinsic value and those who understand and are able to use the system well, will continue to do better than those who don't.

1718140397458.png

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It is also difficult to know if it was just limited inventory is made available with short stays. He was comparing what he could get with short stay vs what he could get in the past with short stays. There was never a comparison between a good (fairly prime) 2BR deposit and a studio deposit. Without that comparison, it could just be that at that time- which is most of the time, IMO, although like with certs some good stuff is made available in short stays, the inventory is just the leftovers that no one wants.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It is also difficult to know if it was just limited inventory is made available with short stays. He was comparing what he could get with short stay vs what he could get in the past with short stays. There was never a comparison between a good (fairly prime) 2BR deposit and a studio deposit. Without that comparison, it could just be that at that time- which is most of the time, IMO, although like with certs some good stuff is made available in short stays, the inventory is just the leftovers that no one wants.
I watched a Facebook video on the other day where they talked about these six night ShortStay exchanges being great. Yes you can get 12 nights out of a 7 night deposit, but you aren't getting prime or even above average stuff. I looked at what was available earlier and noticed it was the usual suspects like Orlando, Palm Desert and a few other domestic locations with a lot of international. I am sure many of the Mexico is mandatory all inclusive.

Everything needs to be referred to in context when talking about ShortStay and even Getaways and ACs. This isn't cream of the crop kinda stuff.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
Dominidude has not been seen since Aug. 2023.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I watched a Facebook video on the other day where they talked about these six night ShortStay exchanges being great. Yes you can get 12 nights out of a 7 night deposit, but you aren't getting prime or even above average stuff. I looked at what was available earlier and noticed it was the usual suspects like Orlando, Palm Desert and a few other domestic locations with a lot of international. I am sure many of the Mexico is mandatory all inclusive.

Everything needs to be referred to in context when talking about ShortStay and even Getaways and ACs. This isn't cream of the crop kinda stuff.
I would have absolutely agreed with you before I made our most recent short stay exchange. We traded into Hyatt Northstar (Hyatt High Sierra and Marriott Timber Lodge were also available). It is definitely an off season week in early Nov, but for us it is perfect. I think that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In our case we received a bonus week AC (I will find something in the next 12 months - our last exchange was at Casa Dorada i.e. Hilton Los Cabos), and I will also have 2 years to do two 6 day short stays. Our all in cost will be $85/night. That said, it will take a lot of searching. It isn't for everyone.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I would have absolutely agreed with you before I made our most recent short stay exchange. We traded into Hyatt Northstar (Hyatt High Sierra and Marriott Timber Lodge were also available). It is definitely an off season week in early Nov, but for us it is perfect. I think that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In our case we received a bonus week AC (I will find something in the next 12 months - our last exchange was at Casa Dorada i.e. Hilton Los Cabos), and I will also have 2 years to do two 6 day short stays. Our all in cost will be $85/night. That said, it will take a lot of searching. It isn't for everyone.
But that's just it, it's off season. While the resort may be great, it isn't cream of the crop in terms of dates. My point is that when people talk about ShortStay, they need to include certain context. There will always be exceptions to the rule but sometimes it is touted as a much better option than it really is.

For us as Marriott owners, it takes away the enrolled week Marriott $0 exchange fee. I would need to pay $189x2 in order to get 12 nights instead of 7. Trading for one ShortStay also forces you to use the other part of the week as ShortStay. Trading up in unit size with ShortStay Exchange also seems to be much more difficult.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One of the semi regular bargains in short stay is Aruba, outside of prime and that includes the Marriott's even 2 BR. And by not prime, I have seen January and summer. I am not sure about a double size upgrade but a cheap studio for 12 nights in a 1 BR at Aruba is pretty good.
Generally, they don't go very far into the future, but even when you have a flexchange restricted deposit, if you use it in shortstay, you can see out as far as it is available even if that goes beyond 60 days.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
But that's just it, it's off season. While the resort may be great, it isn't cream of the crop in terms of dates. My point is that when people talk about ShortStay, they need to include certain context. There will always be exceptions to the rule but sometimes it is touted as a much better option than it really is.

For us as Marriott owners, it takes away the enrolled week Marriott $0 exchange fee. I would need to pay $189x2 in order to get 12 nights instead of 7. Trading for one ShortStay also forces you to use the other part of the week as ShortStay. Trading up in unit size with ShortStay Exchange also seems to be much more difficult.
On Tug I haven't seen a lot of real life data about ShortStays so I was surprised to see the quality of resorts for the Tahoe area in the fall, and I was doubly surprised to be seeing them ~5 months in advance.

In my experience, any peak time exchanges in II are tough to come by. Any II transactions should be tempered with a good dose of reality, i.e. don't get your hopes up, and I agree that anyone using ShortStays should be aware of the caveats. I used my two bedroom Quarter House for the underlying exchange, so that may be why I see so many 2 bedroom units. And I can see why someone with an enrolled Marriott week wouldn't be interested because the zero exchange fee is an amazing benefit. For someone who doesn't have that option, ShortStay exchanges seem to be a viable option especially when the underlying unit is a 2 bedroom. I am not sure that I would feel the same using a studio unit since II seems to be very explicit on a like-for-like exchange in terms of unit size.