• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2016] AM Radio at Grande Vista

Rush

TUG Member
Reaction score
K so I just checked in, and saw that they had "upgraded" the clock radios, meaning that the new ones no longer have AM...

GRRRRRRRRR

Soooooo, I called, and they kindly delivered "one of the old ones", which ostensibly gets AM, however, reception is atrocious - to the point where you can't meaningfully make out anything on either AM or FM...

Which leads me to ask - is the "old one" which they delivered [which looks brand spankin' new] defective, or has AM reception gone the way of the dodo bird at Grande Vista, for whatever reason...

Oh and, I should mention, I used to get stellar AM reception on the old clock radios here - as recently as last January...

:annoyed:

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Is the radio they delivered the same as the radio you last used in January? It could be a defective radio or a bad antenna. Or even a bad speaker. Most AM radios have a black wire antenna that hangs out the back. Does this radio have one of those, it may be bundled up. Try stretching it out or look to see if it perhaps has been cut off.

Looking at this website, there appears to be some high powered AM radio stations in Orlando. Try seeing if you can get any reception in your car while at the resort. If they work in the car, perhaps just try asking for another old clock radio.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I listen to the radio (both AM and FM) all the time for music, talk shows, play by play of sporting events, etc. In addition I still use a clam shell cell phone with text messaging and voice mail blocked. I also watch cable TV and don't stream video. I'm not against all the new stuff. Rather I'm too lazy to learn how to use them.

George

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Radio is alive and well. It's the receivers available today that suck. Little tinny speakers and imprecise analog and vernier tuners in clock radios meant more for alarms are prime offenders. I had to shop for one of those recently, and found phone chargers, aux inputs, wave sound generators, digital clocks big and small in rainbow colors, and all sorts of crap. But lousy radio tuners and sound were everywhere.

It won't help your timeshare stay, because the HOA or mgmt. Is price driven and couldn't care less how the radio works.

So try this: listen to radio on the internet. I use 'tune-in dot com', but there are lots of services playing tens of thousands of stations worldwide. That means if you have a favorite station or program at home, you can listen to it from anywhere and likely any time.

Jim

Rush

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the radio they delivered the same as the radio you last used in January? It could be a defective radio or a bad antenna. Or even a bad speaker. Most AM radios have a black wire antenna that hangs out the back. Does this radio have one of those, it may be bundled up. Try stretching it out or look to see if it perhaps has been cut off.

Looking at this website, there appears to be some high powered AM radio stations in Orlando. Try seeing if you can get any reception in your car while at the resort. If they work in the car, perhaps just try asking for another old clock radio.

Good suggestions, thanks...

It looks like the same clock radios they used to have, so I'll ask them for a replacement of the replacement...

I like to listen to talk radio when I go to bed at night, and really miss not being able to do so...

Thanks again!!

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Radio is alive and well. It's the receivers available today that suck.

Finally, after 2 false starts I finally found a radio that works for me. It is a Sangean AM-FM with digital tuning. If I put batteries in, it will be portable but I am happy just plugging it into an electric outlet.

George

Rush

TUG Member
Reaction score
Success!

Took some doing, but they found a different clock radio from the ones they had most recently been using, and the AM reception works fine...

So, as Dioxide had correctly posited, the replacement they had brought yesterday was a dud...

Will probably have to bring an AM radio from now on, in order to avoid this song n dance...

Anyway, all is right in the world... :)

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score

Searching for something else at Grande Vista and found this. The black wire is an FM antenna. Radio will either have one of these or use the power cord as an antenna. The AM antenna will be inside the radio and is a ferrite bar wrapped in very thin wire. Hey, I'm a radio guy, sorry.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Searching for something else at Grande Vista and found this. The black wire is an FM antenna. Radio will either have one of these or use the power cord as an antenna. The AM antenna will be inside the radio and is a ferrite bar wrapped in very thin wire. Hey, I'm a radio guy, sorry.
And I am still here eight years later to learn from the correction!