• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2016-2017 Marriott Rewards Year-End Changeover, Status and Rollover Nights

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Status Tiers in the Marriott Rewards program are earned in a number of different ways. Whatever status level you've earned as of 12/31/16 will remain in effect until 2/28/18 unless you attain a higher level in the interim.

- Based on the number of Elite Nights earned annually:
Silver = 10 Nights
Gold = 50 Nights
Platinum = 75 Nights

* There's also a Platinum Premier status tier which consists of a certain percentage of the highest-earning Platinum members. The requirements change year-to-year and any benefits are unpublished. Marriott directly notifies all eligible members of this status.

- Beginning 2/15/17, (Marriott timeshare) DC Members with Chairman's Club or Presidential Owner status will be Platinum Elite MR status, and, DC Members with Executive or Select Owner status will not be less than Gold Elite MR status. As well, Starwood Preferred Guest Member status is matched when you link your SPG and MR accounts. See this TUG thread and various links within: Marriott Rewards Elite Status now based on DC membership / effective 2/15/17

- MR status may also be granted by Marriott using the cumulative history of your account or other factors, and sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to it. For example, a Silver with 45 Nights might be granted Gold or a Platinum who hasn't reached 75 Nights might have that Platinum extended. If you're one of the "lucky" ones remember that it could be a double-edge sword because your Rollover Nights will be counted based on the status that's extended and not what's actually earned (e.g. If you've accumulated 45 Nights then your status should officially be Silver with 35 Rollover Nights, but if Marriott grants you Gold then no Nights will roll over because 45 is less than the 50 Gold requirement.)

- If you have not earned enough Nights to hold your last year's Status level and don't have enough activity for the scenario directly above, Marriott typically will drop you only one tier. For example, a Platinum who has earned only 35 Nights will not be dropped all the way to Silver but will instead be granted Gold.

Lifetime MR status is based on cumulative Nights and Points:

Lifetime Silver = 250 Nights and 1.2 million Points
Lifetime Gold = 500 Nights and 1.6 million Points
Lifetime Platinum = 750 Nights and 2 million Points

Rollover Nights are all those accumulated in the current year above the amount required for your attained status tier. The equation to figure out how many Rollover Nights should be posted to your account when the year-end changeover is done, based on info in the "Nights Detail" box in your account, is:

"2016 Total" Nights Earned this Year
<less> "2015 rollover" Nights (from 2015 to 2016)
<less> Number of Nights required for Status held as of 12/31/16 (10 Silver, 50 Gold, 75 Plat)
<equals> Rollover Nights for 2016 into 2017

(Navigate to the "Nights Detail" box by signing in to your marriott.com account --> click on "My Account" at the top right --> click on "Account Overview" --> click on "Nights" to the right of your "Hello ____" greeting.)

*See these pages on marriott.com:
Member Benefits At A Glance
Elite Rollover Nights
Lifetime Status
Expiration Guidelines *Note that effective 2/1/16 the expiration terms&conditions are being enforced.

*Year-end changeover and Rollover Nights accounting will take place during January but each may not take place on the same day - watch your accounts and feel free to give the rest of us a heads-up here if/when you're seeing changes. During the past few years there have been incorrect Status and/or Rollover Nights notifications generated by preliminary changeovers, so it's a good idea to take a screen shot or printout of your "Account Activity" and "Nights Detail" account information on Dec 31st, just in case.

Last edited:

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
Correct me if I'm wrong -- or if I'm missing something, however, it seems to me that MR Lifetime status for MVC presidential and Chairman's Club members is sort of a non issue now that Plat elite will be bestowed on them. To me that means as long as you maintain your MVC status you will be plat. elite regardless of your annual night stays. This assumes that Plat. elite is Plat. elite regardless of how you obtained that status.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong -- or if I'm missing something, however, it seems to me that MR Lifetime status for MVC presidential and Chairman's Club members is sort of a non issue now that Plat elite will be bestowed on them. To me that means as long as you maintain your MVC status you will be plat. elite regardless of your annual night stays. This assumes that Plat. elite is Plat. elite regardless of how you obtained that status.
If you and your partner are joint MVC Owners though and one of you is Lifetime Platinum and the other not Platinum you can switch the MR account linked to the ownership to ensure both of you will be Platinum in future.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nothing here yet.

I wouldn't expect to see any changes for a couple weeks. But now is the time to print out or take a screen shot of your account activity because when they do the changeover they'll be using the numbers as of 12/31/16. From the first post above: "*Year-end changeover and Rollover Nights accounting will take place during January but each may not take place on the same day - watch your accounts and feel free to give the rest of us a heads-up here if/when you're seeing changes. During the past few years there have been incorrect Status and/or Rollover Nights notifications generated by preliminary changeovers, so it's a good idea to take a screen shot or printout of your "Account Activity" and "Nights Detail" account information on Dec 31st, just in case."

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I registered for SPG on 12/29. I got an email congratulating me on earning Platinum and it said the status would be valid until 2/28/18. I only had 52 nights in 2016. Is the message a glitch? Rollover didn't even occur yet.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tonight my counter was back to zero and my status was platinum. It was platinum and while last year I had 15-20 rollover nights, this year only a few over the required 75. I guess there was no accounting needed. I just went back to zero and keep the same status.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mine too but I don't think it happens that fast. I could be wrong but I think there is a "limbo" period. In other words status changes and rollover nights probably have not have occurred yet.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
My wife's account and mine still look as they did at the end of 2016, no changes yet. Seems rather early for any changes, they usually take about a week to 20 days.

curbysplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Streamside-Birch, Marriott Custom House
Our Rewards account still shows 2016 totals. We checked out of a Renaissance Hotel on 12/30. That stay just now shows as posted - points & nights - on my Marriott account. They say it can take up to 10 days to post stays. I assume it's for reasons like that they don't want to switch records to the new year until the easy postings are made.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well like Greentea my counter went to zero immediately on 1/1. I thought it was normal but I don't remember what happened before.

EDIT: After closer look my counter is not at zero. It shows zero in the mobile app but on the website it shows 60 nights.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My online account isn't showing anything yet. Looks like the mobile app automatically reset with the new year but not online, so I'd expect that accounting to be similar to what's happening in the past.

Tonight my counter was back to zero and my status was platinum. It was platinum and while last year I had 15-20 rollover nights, this year only a few over the required 75. I guess there was no accounting needed. I just went back to zero and keep the same status.

If you're not eligible for Platinum through DC Membership or MR Lifetime, your <2016 total Nights less the 2015-2016 Rollover Nights> doesn't equal or exceed 75, and/or they don't grant you status based on some other factor, then you should expect to be dropped to Gold after 2/28/16. There's always the possibility that I'm reading your post incorrectly so if you want to post your exact details that will help us figure out where your account should stand at the changeover.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's really screwy in the interim. Yesterday I got a rewards email showing that I have 53 nights even though online it showed 60. Today I get an email that shows I have 15 nights, presumably the 15 free nights from the CC, but online it still shows 60 nights.

The mobile app on the other hand shows the 15 nights, the same as the email.

In this day and age, is it really that hard? It really seems they have hundreds of people manually going into each different system and account and updating it.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's really screwy in the interim. Yesterday I got a rewards email showing that I have 53 nights even though online it showed 60. Today I get an email that shows I have 15 nights, presumably the 15 free nights from the CC, but online it still shows 60 nights.

The mobile app on the other hand shows the 15 nights, the same as the email.

In this day and age, is it really that hard? It really seems they have hundreds of people manually going into each different system and account and updating it.
The inconsistency is crazy.
Today, the website shows my account with 95 nights whilst the app shows it with 0 nights.
The emails I receive always tend to lag days or even weeks behind the real position.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got my renewal packet yesterday. It said they renewed my platinum even though I didn't have enough nights. I had 78 nights, so have they upped the requirement without telling anyone, including their marketing department.....the card enclosed said Platinum with 75 nights!?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I got my renewal packet yesterday. It said they renewed my platinum even though I didn't have enough nights. I had 78 nights, so have they upped the requirement without telling anyone, including their marketing department.....the card enclosed said Platinum with 75 nights!?
Your post #9 above tells the tale. You said you had 15-20 roll over nights from the prior year, and only exceeded 75 by a few this year.....so if you take your 78 nights and reduce it by the 15-20 roll over from prior period, you would be below the 75. They gave you a soft landing and kept you at Platinum, which is nice of them and how they usually treat things in that first year you underachieve.

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received the same in 2015 when my 75th night was on December 29. I think they just send this out early, but I do agree it's annoying that they act like they're doing you a favor when you in fact did requalify in your own merit.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I think you're running into the usual confusion that happens because 1) their email/snail-mail updates are weeks behind real-time and online updates, 2) for whatever reasons that we haven't figured out they seem to generate quite a few status-related email/snail-mail messages in error at year-end, and 3) they don't process the Status/Nights changeover until later in January (like curbysplace says in post #12 above, probably to allow time for all 2016 activity to be counted.) Yes, it's ridiculous that they haven't figured things out to avoid the confusion but they haven't and so we deal with it. If you can believe it, it's actually gotten worse instead of better since the mobile app was introduced.

It could be that your Plat status is going to be extended but I think the letter you got was generated weeks ago when you reached the 75-Nights for 2016. It's too early for letters related to 2016-2017 changeover. In the interim while all of us wait for the changeover/updates processes in our online accounts, I suggest that you take a screenshot/printout of your 2016 activity page in order to safeguard the info for the changeover. With all the variables I think it's equally possible that their errors can hurt or help us.

Last edited:

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your post #9 above tells the tale. You said you had 15-20 roll over nights from the prior year, and only exceeded 75 by a few this year.....so if you take your 78 nights and reduce it by the 15-20 roll over from prior period, you would be below the 75. They gave you a soft landing and kept you at Platinum, which is nice of them and how they usually treat things in that first year you underachieve.
That doesn't seem right......if the rollover doesn't actually count as "real" days, then there is no point to the rollover. I would assume including my rollover, I ended the year with 78 nights. I do not get 3 rollover because the rollover exceeded 3 coming into the year. I don't think of this as a soft landing at all; I think i earned platinum with 78 nights. I think of the soft landing in this way.....if I had 20 rollover and had 15 nights for the year for a total of 35 and they said we will make you gold.

Oddly, the last night that counted in the year was from mid November, so I don't even think it was a case of nights not catching up with the mailing of the letters.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm getting confused but I agree with GreenTea. He hit 78 nights in 2016 and therefore will remain Platinum through 2/1/18.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
That doesn't seem right......if the rollover doesn't actually count as "real" days, then there is no point to the rollover. I would assume including my rollover, I ended the year with 78 nights. I do not get 3 rollover because the rollover exceeded 3 coming into the year. I don't think of this as a soft landing at all; I think i earned platinum with 78 nights. I think of the soft landing in this way.....if I had 20 rollover and had 15 nights for the year for a total of 35 and they said we will make you gold.

Oddly, the last night that counted in the year was from mid November, so I don't even think it was a case of nights not catching up with the mailing of the letters.
I'm getting confused but I agree with GreenTea. He hit 78 nights in 2016 and therefore will remain Platinum through 2/1/18.
Sorry....my bad!! You guys are correct....I was jumping forward a year and thinking about your roll over days into 2017 and confusing myself in the process. It appears the dumb stick has hit me a bit early this year. ;-(

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry....my bad!! You guys are correct....I was jumping forward a year and thinking about your roll over days into 2017 and confusing myself in the process. It appears the dumb stick has hit me a bit early this year. ;-(

999/1000 isn't that bad ;)

dualrated2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina, Waiohai, Grand Chateau, Desert Springs Villas, Willow Ridge
They are getting close to updating for 2017. Both of our accounts now show 0 stays for the year but no rollover nights have posted as of yet. The change to 0 stays occurred within the past couple of hours.