• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2014] Quarter House maintenance fees remain the same 6 years in a row

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Maintenance Fees

QH broke their string and increased maintenance fees for 2015.

As examples, units that used to be $466 are now $482; $517 increased to $545; $546 increased to $576.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
QH broke their string and increased maintenance fees for 2015.

As examples, units that used to be $466 are now $482; $517 increased to $545; $546 increased to $576.

Dang, that is still not bad….

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dang, that is still not bad….

They went up an average of 4% for the total. 4% after 6 years of no increases is phenomenal.

I did notice that the larger rooms received a larger % increase. QH like some resorts have had relatively flat fees in relation to unit size so this disproportionate increase detracts from that concept but it is still very flat. Over $628 for a 1,500 sq ft lock-off vs $482 for the smallest of the 1BR's, which are very small.

One resort I own is completely flat and has the exact same maintenance fee for a 3BR as they do all the 1BR's. The concept makes sense and follows along the same line as neighborhoods but I think it's bad to do that with timeshares. For the QH it's fine because the fees are so small compared to the expensive hotels in New Orleans but other places like FL it doesn't work out well.

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does anyone know what the 2017 MF's are at QH for a 2 bedroom? thanks

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

I received bills and newsletters containing the budgets for both HOA's and there are no fee increases for 2017. They added a great feature to the list this year in the newsletters. There are now descriptions next to each unit so it further clarifies the unit including the number of bathrooms.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I received bills and newsletters containing the budgets for both HOA's and there are no fee increases for 2017. They added a great feature to the list this year in the newsletters. There are now descriptions next to each unit so it further clarifies the unit including the number of bathrooms.
Dang, I did not receive a newsletter, I paid my MF's in July I wonder if that why I did not receive one?

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Dang, I did not receive a newsletter, I paid my MF's in July I wonder if that why I did not receive one?

I had a zero balance due, and I still received the invoice showing that and the newsletter.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel

What is your unit number? I can look at the chart they sent us.
My 2 bedroom 1 bathroom is a Phase 1 and is $545.00 (Unit 301).

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
All regular 2BR units in phases 1-4 are $545. Phases 5-8 are $575. All 2BR Lock-out units are $628.

The Lock-outs are a complete steal because they are all two separate large 1BR units. So you get a 1BR unit for a $314 fee versus a regular 1BR deluxe which has a $509 fee. It's impossible not to at least break even on the years you don't want to use it.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I don't blow it, there's a file attached scanned from the Fall 2016 Newsletter that came with the maintenance fee bills.

A lot of units aren't listed.
If I don't blow it, there's a file attached scanned from the Fall 2016 Newsletter that came with the maintenance fee bills.

A lot of units aren't listed.

That's because there are two newsletters. One for QH "original" and one for QH 1. They will only send the newsletter for the unit that you own. The real budget is in the QH newsletter where it details every expense. QH bills QH1 for a management fee so that's all it shows on the QH1 budget except for a few misc things. Both sections operate as one.

It is really nice to see detailed expenses like employee salaries, health insurance, and commissions paid on rental revenue. Other timeshares that are not individually management just show a management fee line which is obviously padded for profit. Not at the QH. Nothing is getting kicked up the corporate ladder. This is one of the reasons why they are able to control maintenance fees.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
According to the recently received Newsletter from Quarter House, the damage due to Katrina was $406,000. This was in a blurb about QH's decision to self-insure for named storms and purchase insurance for $87,000 for damage due to other than named storms.

I am pretty sure it wasn't under water as it is too high in sea level. It doesn't take long to rack up insurance claim money due to repairs on misc damages. It's also a convenient time to do a few replacements and upgrades and have insurance cover the cost. It's perfectly legitimate. For example a window breaks and the 10 year old carpet gets some damage. Insurance will cover brand new carpet. There are could have been breaking and entering from looters. I don't think that happened but I'm not sure. So unless a wall crumbled the actual damage from the storm was likely minimal but the insurance claim is not surprising.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Self insuring for named storms when you are in a Hurricane zone is a big decision. Are they putting money away in a fund to cover potential Hurricane damage?

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am pretty sure it wasn't under water as it is too high in sea level. It doesn't take long to rack up insurance claim money due to repairs on misc damages. It's also a convenient time to do a few replacements and upgrades and have insurance cover the cost. It's perfectly legitimate. For example a window breaks and the 10 year old carpet gets some damage. Insurance will cover brand new carpet. There are could have been breaking and entering from looters. I don't think that happened but I'm not sure. So unless a wall crumbled the actual damage from the storm was likely minimal but the insurance claim is not surprising.

To be accurate, the entire city of New Orleans is below sea level. Nevertheless, flooding wasn't the problem in the French Quarter. It was wind and rain.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Self insuring for named storms when you are in a Hurricane zone is a big decision. Are they putting money away in a fund to cover potential Hurricane damage?

Can't tell from the latest newsletter -- it has a budget but not a balance sheet.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Okay, thanks for that. My source was a pre-Katrina article in an early 1980s issue of the New Yorker magazine, Atchafalaya, by John McPhee. It's a great read even if it is not totally accurate geographically.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can't tell from the latest newsletter -- it has a budget but not a balance sheet.

I wonder why they excluded the balance sheet this year. Unless I am missing something you can't see the balance or how much was used for cap ex. In my mind the only reason to exclude it is because the balance is too low even by timeshare standards. Hopefully that is not the case but I am going to inquire.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok, I'm going to have to call, thanks for letting me know.
Just wanted to let everyone know I got my newsletter after I called in, I love how it tells more info about each unit...thanks

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is a nice change. The only things missing is the size of beds and sq ft.
That would be awesome, but I have been developing my own database of unit #'s and square feet...I'm going to add the data I received in my newsletter...Plus I think my QH trades better in II then my SDO unit. I had a search for a summer week in MI for 2017 that I started in 2016 and because this is such a difficult trade, I had both my SDO and QH set up for the exact same search and the QH matched. This baby brings home the value to me every day...

Saints, you are one of the folks that helped me the most when I was looking for my unit and I can not thank you enough...