• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] So thankful I found this site in time!

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, thank you! The Quality Assurance people called me back this morning, which I didn't picked up as your advise. It is my ignorance about timeshare. It was my first timeshare presentation and people there appeared to be frank and sincere. Obviously, I am very naive.

I saw the paragraph of cancellation on two pages: 1) PropertyTax - Disclosure Summary and 2) Orange Lake Country Club Villas III, A condominium receipts for timeshare documents.

"To the purchaser, you may cancel your purchase agreement without any penalty or obligation within 10 calendar days after the date you sign your purchase agreement or the date on which you receive the last of all documents required to be given to you pursuant to section 721.07(6), Florida Statutes, whichever is later.

If you decide to cancel your purchase agreement, you must notify the devoloper in writing of your intent to cancel. Your notice of cancellation shale be effective upon the date sent and shall be sent to Orange Lake Country club, inc. 8505 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway, Kissimmee, Florida 34747."

I also signed a mortgage form, an authorized automatic billing/payment for the mortgage and Holiday Inn membership. I don't see the instruction to cancel them. Will they need separate "letter of intent to cancel".

I am searching online how to write "the letter of intent to cancel", please advise any thing that I should include to have thorough letter.

Thank you

As others have said, be sure to send it via CERTIFIED MAIL with RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED.

Additionally, I would send another (separate) letter using a CERTIFICATE OF MAILING.

Using both of these services should eliminate any question of your intent.

Call it going overboard, however thousands of dollars are at stake!

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
You don't really need to send it in any way that requires a signature on the other end.

Delivery confirmation will get you a receipt of when you mailed it and an on line update of when it's delivered. All the other stuff won't hurt but it's not necessary.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I would also call your credit card company and tell them not to permit any additional charges, and then follow up with a letter to them, and include a copy of your cancellation letter.

banhbao

Reaction score
Thank you so much.

In the disclosure summary, it says that "... you must notify the seller in writing of your intent to cancel.." and in the footnote, it says " The term "Notify," as used above, means that a written notice of cancellation is delivered by any means which may include certified mail, return receipt requested."

All USPS are closed today (Sunday) and tomorrow (Presidents' Day). Should I wait or send the letter with UPS, FEDEX? Please advise.

Thanks

lcml11

Reaction score
Thank you so much.

In the disclosure summary, it says that "... you must notify the seller in writing of your intent to cancel.." and in the footnote, it says " The term "Notify," as used above, means that a written notice of cancellation is delivered by any means which may include certified mail, return receipt requested."

All USPS are closed today (Sunday) and tomorrow (Presidents' Day). Should I wait or send the letter with UPS, FEDEX? Please advise.

Thanks

As others have advised, do what the written instructions say if you want to recend it.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
if the details do say "by any means including certified mail"...id think a ups/fedex shipment with tracking number would be acceptable.

if it ONLY says certified mail...use the USPS.

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much.

Thanks
Don't panic. If you signed the contract on the 16th, how many days are you allowed to cancel? If it's 10 days, you have until the 26th to get a letter postmarked. Just wait till Tuesday and you are fine. If it was only 5 days, you have till Thursday. You're on top of this already; so relax.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Send it as many ways as you want, but USPS needs to be one of those ways. By statute, your notice is effective the date of the "postmark." Only USPS can affix a postmark.

In Florida, some lawsuits can be served via certified mail, so some offices won't allow a mere receptionist or secretary to sign for mail. To avoid any any monkey-business about it, use "proof of delivery - no signaure required," as well.

banhbao

Reaction score
Thank you all for your suggestions and advice.

- I called my credit card company to stop any future charge from Orange Lake Timeshare.

- I wrote the letter of intent to cancel in the format that Passepartout suggested. I sent it through FedEx today and will send it as certified mail and through CERTIFICATE OF MAILING with USPS (with proof of delivery - no signature required) on Tuesday, after Presidents' Day.

- I didn't answer the 2 latest phone calls from "Quality Assurance" people.

- Most importantly, I will learn about timeshare from TUG through this forum. Looking at the positive side, I learned a lot through this experience with Orange Like Timeshare. I am very happy to know this TUG and get help from you. I hope I will become a vivid timeshare user soon.

Thank you

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

I hope I will become a vivid timeshare user soon.

Thank you

You're welcome. We don't need you to be vivid, only informed. TUG is a great place to do that. And remember: Buy resale, $ave thousand$.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
And remember: Buy resale, $ave thousand$.

Now that you (banhbao) have time to sit back and explore your options, may I suggest one option to explore is that of renting instead of buying.

If you take the time to explore many resale and rental sites, you might just find a number of units for rent at OLCC that owners are offering for less than the MFs.

Here on TUG, we have a Last Minute Rental section:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45

where owners are offering rentals for $700/week or less which, when I last checked, is less than the MFs at OLCC. You just have to wait until no more than 45 days before check-in. You can also post an ad there that you want to rent within 45 days of check-in.

If you don't have your heart set on vacationing there at the same time every year, renting might be a viable option.

And as was discussed in this thread:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187236

renting might be a good alternative when you want to find an "exchange" because you won't have to deal with the exchange companies.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. There is a resort I would love to own, but I just checked one rental site, and I can get the week I want for less than the m/f, and far less than what exchange costs would add.

banhbao

Reaction score
Thanks. I have been reading advice articles and threads in TUG. I could pick up ideas here and there, which open up a whole new way to travel. I still have to educate myself to select well-priced rental/week and various options of buying points/deeded, to avoid scams, and to deal with issues coming up while using timeshare.

Now, my mind is still occupied by the "letter of intent to cancel". It was unbelievable that people at a well-known company could use such unethical tricks to make us buy their timeshare. I hope the letter of intent will do its job of getting me out of the contract.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's not a "letter of intent"; it's a legal notification!

<snip> Now, my mind is still occupied by the "letter of intent to cancel". It was unbelievable that people at a well-known company could use such unethical tricks to make us buy their timeshare. I hope the letter of intent will do its job of getting me out of the contract.

You don't need to "hope" and you are not merely expressing "intent". This is a straightforward matter of exercising a legal right, one which is very clearly provided to you under applicable state law.

You are not "asking permission" to cancel or merely mentioning a future plan. You are instead formally notifying these weasels that you are exercising an unquestionable right provided to you by state law. In Florida, you actually have 10 days to cancel, but it's better to take care of the contract rescission immediately, as you are already apparently doing (...and staying off the phone throughout the process).

Good job. Exhale and relax --- then spend a few months getting an education here before plunging into buying anything, anywhere. If you later decide to purchase, do so only in the resale market. In doing so, you might even be helping to starve those lying sales weasels into seeking more legitimate employment. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

- I called my credit card company to stop any future charge from Orange Lake Timeshare.

Did they tell you to follow that call up in writing? You should.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I wouldn't use the term "intent" in the letter.
That suggests it's not something you've done, but rather a plan for sometime in the future.

I'd call it a "notice of exercize of right to cancel" or more simply, "cancellation of contract."

banhbao

Reaction score
Updates

I received a phone call today from Orange Lake Quality Assurance. They said that they have received my cancellation letter on the 21st ( I signed my contract on the 15th and sent my cancellation letters on the 17th, 19th, and 22nd ... overkill). They will refund my deposit and cancel the automatic payment for the membership and mortgage. The process will take as soon as 7 days to 20 days. They said they will not do any shady things to take my money. Well, I am relieved...

The more I learn about timeshare, the more I realize what the burden I would have got myself into if I didn't cancel the contract in time. Thank you TUG!

To DeniseM: I was told by the credit card company that they would wait for 30 days and get back to me about the dispute. I may get the refund back by then.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Another wonderful success story avoiding a bad decision to way overpay on a developer priced timeshare. Congratulations and enjoy your wise use of your limited time right to cancel a hasty and ill-advised decision.

IF you ever decide that timesharing may be right for you remember that there are great values to be had from happy owners now unable to enjoy their time as they once did. They need a new buyer to take over the annual fees and the buyer can get in at a low cost and enjoy years of great vacations usually in a large condo for around the costs of a single hotel room. It's a great way to travel or have your own "vacation home" in an area you could never afford (or want to) own year round.

Again congratulations & hang around if you want to learn from the best - Tuggers!

Jean7175

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also glad I found this site!

I own two Wyndham resales that I have been very happy with. Unfortunately, that did not prevent me from letting the guy bearing gifts in at the La Cascada! He was very sweet telling me the money I was wasting by paying maintenance fees for nothing (like VIP, Rewards, etc.). Well, of course I fell for it and purchased more points. I felt terrible afterwards so goggled and found your site. The next day I rescinded and turned off my phone. The rescind letter arrive at the Las Vegas office yesterday with the name of the accepting person. I see some people are calling Wyndham Finance to check on status. Do you think it's really necessary to do that or should I sit back and wait for their letter? Thanks:zzz:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sit back and wait. The law is on your side.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Don't call - a phone call has no legal bearing, and do you really want to subject yourself to another sales pitch?

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
Orange Lake County Club, Holiday Inn Vacation Club Orlando

congrats on your following through and getting that big monkey off your back.

I can assure you in several years that "monkey" would have gotten bigger and bigger to the point you want to get rid of it only to find out the monkey is only worth a couple thousand dollars and the maintenance fee just keeps going up and up and the monthly payments seem like they will never end and you are sick and tired of all this drama...... WAKE UP,, WAKE UP.. it's all a dream... :)

You did not go down that rabbit hole so LIFE is good. Learn the places to buy and the places not to buy, (cough DIAMOND cough) and (cough Westgate cough) and for a couple for SURE.

Find a place you would go to every year or every other year and find out about the HOA. There are a lot of good places to buy that are nice resorts with good HOA's and good locations..

it took me 2 years of reading, and asking questions along the way to find a couple great places to buy.

I wish you luck and good hunting.. :D