• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] So thankful I found this site in time!

pa2mekai

Reaction score
We just spent a wonderful week at Orange Lake Resort. It was a family vacation which we rented through friends who own a timeshare. They have had nothing but great things to say about timesharing and orange lake. So, based on many discussions with them, we decided that we would partake in the sales presentation with the intention of purchasing. We listened and purchased a week 37, EOY, 2 bedroom east village villa for $7500. Two nights later, I couldn't sleep and felt that perhaps we hadn't made the best financial or adequately informed decision. At 3 o'clock in the morning, I jumped on the computer and did some google searches and came across this website. My doubts were quickly validated and I realized that we needed to cancel our contract. I then spent the next two days trying to convince my husband, that cancelling was the right thing to do. I'm happy to say that on our way to the airport yesterday, I stopped at the postoffice and mailed my cancellation letter.:cheer: Based on what I've read here, I understand that the next step may involve calls from them to convince me to keep the TS but now, I'm armed for that too!

We are a young family and we both believe that timesharing is the right choice for us at this time. With your help, I'm confident that we will purchase (resale of course ;) ) the perfect timeshare for the perfect price and enjoy many vacations in the future.

Thanks to everyone for all the informative posts!
Melanie

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your decision to rescind. You have just saved your family alot of money and you will never regret it.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Congratulations on your decisions to rescind. I think you are very wise to realize without any help that the choice was not in your best interests. That trip to the computer in the middle of the night was well worth your while.

You should continue to use TUG. Ask questions and do a lot of reading. There are a wide variety of opinions as to what the perfect timeshare for using and trading is, but you can count on us to share the whys and hows.

Welcome to TUG. :D

Renny30

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great for you! The nagging in the pit of your stomach is always a sign that something isn't right. I'm glad you listened. You'll learn a ton here.

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
orange lake county club, Holiday Inn club

hi melanie,
welcome to tug first off.. :)
Having stayed at OLCC as it was known, now it think it Holiday Inn club at orange lake, the place is real nice indeed..

We have stay in North Village and West village. My kids especially love the lazy river water complex at River Island location.

In looking on tug market place you can find several other deal at OLCC for a lot less upfront money.

http://tinyurl.com/9pkfutp follow this link to tugs bargain deals.. I saw one listed for .01 (free) at OLCC..

also check in the forums under buying, sell exchange has a bargin bin as well to find other fre deals.

timeshare is a great way to vacation allowing you to stay in such nice places as OLCC and other in the area and around the world..

Spend some time reading in teh forums and learn about this indrustry as it is filled with half truth and scams that only want your money..

have a good day and welcome to the family.:hi:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Make your husband get a sitter and take you out to dinner! :D

Reaction score
I think most people know that OLCC is a gorgeous resort. I mean, where else can you have a timeshare with a few pools AND at least one private golf course near Orlando? $7500 for an Every Other Year at one week is a waste of $$$, when you can buy for less than $100. I will say this, though: River Island's Maintenance Fees for a 2 bedroom yearly is MORE expensive than a 2 bedroom at North/West/East Villages.

Plus, trading to another OL resort is a hassle, where you most likely will get less at another resort. But, since OLCC is a "Red Week" (high demand) in RCI, you can exchange to a different resort - not sure what OL charges to exchange - with the same or better quality.

TS

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG! Keep reading and learning. You may end up buying a timeshare yet - but take your time, ask lots of questions, and you'll be able to make an informed decision, and you'll be able to sleep at night! (But I'll warn you, once you figure it out - you may end up with more than one timeshare!!! ;) )

ray_priddy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would just like to echo the sentiment of the OP and say that TUG and all its members are awesome! :clap:

banhbao

Reaction score
I made a bad/uninformed decision

I went on my first timeshare presentation yesterday and signed the contract of purchasing a timeshare at Orange Lake, Florida - 2 Bedroom, deeded. The more I read about timeshare on the way back to my home state, the more I realized that I didn't make a good/informed decision. I called the person in "Quality Assurance" and asked whether I could cancel the contract. I was told that she had to ask someone else and would call me back. Here is my situation, I really hope someone can help me. Please!
- The timeshare was for a 2 Bedroom villa in East Village at Orange Lake., I will get 50000 RCI points every year.
- The cost is ~ $18000, the maintenance fee + tax + Holiday Vacation Club fee + RCI membership fee + Priority Club fee totals to ~ $1000/year
- My credit card was charged $2000 from my credit card as the down payment.
- I called the Quality Assurance the next day to cancel (today).

Please let me know how to cancel this timeshare.

Thank you very much.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
cancellation instructions will be included in your paperwork....do this asap and follow the directions to the letter.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I called the Quality Assurance the next day to cancel (today).
Please let me know how to cancel this timeshare.

You cannot cancel by phone.
The seller's QA or Sales-Perp is not going to help you.
They will only try to delay things, until it's too late.

There is a "right to cancel" clause in your contract. Read it.

Florida Statutes (721.10) governs cancellation of TS contracts in Florida. You must notify the seller in writing of your intent to cancel within 10 days of signing the contract. Notice is considered to be made when postmarked (by the post office). The notice must identify the seller, the buyer, and the contract (date made, TS unit)

You must deliver the letter exactly as specified in the right-to-cancel clause in your contract itself. Typically, that means U.S. Mail - not fax, not FedX, not UPS, and not a phone call. Stop calling, and don't accept calls.

If you follow the law, the developer must refund your payments in full (less any contractual benefits you received) within 20 days after receipt of the notice of cancellation or within five days a check clears, whichever is later. If this does not happen, dispute any CC charge with the CC issuer.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
You posted the exact same thing in the "Buying, Selling, Renting" forum.
Please read the responses there.

Like I said...
Read the "right to cancel" clause in your contract. Follow it to the letter.
Stop calling them and do not accept calls from them. They will not help.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
You posted the exact same thing in the "Buying, Selling, Renting" forum.
Please read the responses there.

Like I said...
Read the "right to cancel" clause in your contract. Follow it to the letter.
Stop calling them and do not accept calls from them. They will not help.

Please follow this advice. You came here for help and you have been given the info to set you free from this purchase.

By calling or accepting calls you will be promised everything until your rescission period passed and then you will be stuck.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
They blew smoke and used mirrors to make it all look like the sky was floating hundred dollar bills all over you. Right?

The real picture is YOUR MONEY was descending down into their grubby hands and the MORE they spoke, the less money YOU HAD as it was ALL GOING TO THEM.

DO as the Talent312 has told you to do --- look for and READ the cancelling the contract clause in ALL that paperwork they gave YOU and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER of the contract --- to stop that sucking sound of your money being ZAP out of your bank account.

DO NOT CALL THEM. DO NOT TAKE THEIR PHONE CALLS. SEND THE CERTIFIED RETURN RECEIPT LETTER to the address provided.

And be happy that all get out, that you are doing this ASAP ... many new owners don't figure out as much or as quickly as you did. And they still own a timeshare which they paid way too much money for.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not to be harsh, but...

<snip> Please let me know how to cancel this timeshare.

Clear, specific, written instructions on cancellation procedures were placed right into your hands along with the purchase contract you signed.

It's time to read and follow those instructions, which most assuredly do not include making phone calls or going onto the computer...

Centurion

Reaction score
cancellation instructions will be included in your paperwork....do this asap and follow the directions to the letter.

Also, make sure that all correspondence sent to the resort for cancellation is sent with a tracking number to verify delivery.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
They probably sent you home with a stack of paper and books 6 inches thick...No wonder you are somewhat confused...Lok for the contract also called the "purchase and sale agreement" This is something you had to sigm and so did a representative of the timeshare company.

Look for this Purchase and Sale Agreement. When you find it, look directly above the signature block and you should find your rights of rescission and instructions. This paragraph should be in bold print.

Florida gives you a 10 day rescission period to get your cancel letter written and postmarked....dont wait until the bitter end. find your rescission rights today, write your letter and be at the post office tomorrow morning...Most here would recommend certified mail, but whats important is to follow the procedure specified in your agreement....

Reaction score
someone should start a "timeshare cancellation help" service business and charge $100 or more to do the work for people that need help getting out of a contract

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
God (and the law) helps those who help themselves...

someone should start a "timeshare cancellation help" service business and charge $100 or more to do the work for people that need help getting out of a contract

The laws in every single state of this country already require that clear and specific cancellation instructions be provided, in writing, to the timeshare purchaser right at the time of purchase. Only the rescission time periods differ among the states (...from as few as three days to as many as fifteeen days).

I will never understand how or why people can somehow commit to spending spend tens of thousands of dollars of their presumably hard-earned money and then not even bother to also read the contract cancellation instructions placed right in their hands at the time of purchase. :confused::shrug::confused:

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
We DH and I were doing timeshare "mystery shopping" for a large service here in the US, once of the key components of the experience we were to report on was how the timeshare sales dept handled the information regarding rescinding . . . and then how the actual rescinding was handled administratively.

We shopped several, most of biggees (with the exception of Wyndham - go figure they would NEVER contract with such a service). Many were good about it procedurally and within the framework of that state's law. One or two come to mind, who were horrible!

Yes, you need to read every word and follow the instructions to the letter. If you do, and you're within the window of time allowed by law, you'll be fine.

banhbao

Reaction score
Thank you, thank you! The Quality Assurance people called me back this morning, which I didn't picked up as your advise. It is my ignorance about timeshare. It was my first timeshare presentation and people there appeared to be frank and sincere. Obviously, I am very naive.

I saw the paragraph of cancellation on two pages: 1) PropertyTax - Disclosure Summary and 2) Orange Lake Country Club Villas III, A condominium receipts for timeshare documents.

"To the purchaser, you may cancel your purchase agreement without any penalty or obligation within 10 calendar days after the date you sign your purchase agreement or the date on which you receive the last of all documents required to be given to you pursuant to section 721.07(6), Florida Statutes, whichever is later.

If you decide to cancel your purchase agreement, you must notify the devoloper in writing of your intent to cancel. Your notice of cancellation shale be effective upon the date sent and shall be sent to Orange Lake Country club, inc. 8505 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway, Kissimmee, Florida 34747."

I also signed a mortgage form, an authorized automatic billing/payment for the mortgage and Holiday Inn membership. I don't see the instruction to cancel them. Will they need separate "letter of intent to cancel".

I am searching online how to write "the letter of intent to cancel", please advise any thing that I should include to have thorough letter.

Thank you

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
The mortgage and membership cancel with your rescission of the purchase

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
"To the purchaser, you may cancel your purchase agreement without any penalty or obligation within 10 calendar days after the date you sign your purchase agreement or the date on which you receive the last of all documents required to be given to you pursuant to section 721.07(6), Florida Statutes, whichever is later.

If you decide to cancel your purchase agreement, you must notify the devoloper in writing of your intent to cancel. Your notice of cancellation shale be effective upon the date sent and shall be sent to Orange Lake Country club, inc. 8505 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway, Kissimmee, Florida 34747."

I also signed a mortgage form, an authorized automatic billing/payment for the mortgage and Holiday Inn membership. I don't see the instruction to cancel them. Will they need separate "letter of intent to cancel".

I am searching online how to write "the letter of intent to cancel", please advise any thing that I should include to have thorough letter.

Thank you

It needn't be anything complex. Just something that contains the necessities:

I/We wish to exercise our right of rescission under Florida Statute 721.07 (06) of contract #_________ Dated Feb___,2013. We wish all deposits be returned to us.
Signed_____________ and ___________ (all who signed the original)

And send it certified with receipt returned to you.

That should be all it takes. Congratulations!

Welcome to TUG.