• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] Did we make a mistake buying at Ron Jon's?

justmeinflorida

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My fiance and I went on a timeshare tour of Ron Jon's Cape Caribe on July 3rd and we loved the resort. In fact so much so, we purchased but now I'm thinking we made a mistake. It says in our contract that we have 10 days to cancel and I'm seriously considering it. I've seen the same kind of unit we purchased going for $2500.00 and we're paying $15,400 :doh: I really want to own at this resort but I'm very uncertain/concerned about buying a timeshare from an owner and getting ripped off.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Easy answer. RESCIND NOW while you can! Yes, you can buy the same exact usage / ownership for $2500 (actually, much less) that you are being asked to pay $15,000 or more for. NO timeshare is worth retail. This is no exception.

If you really liked it then by all means buy one - but go resale so you can afford to pay cash (NEVER finance a timeshare - it just adds more lost money to bad decision to buy retail). The fees, usage, trade / rental value - everything is exactly the same with a retail ownership. You just pay 90%+ less.

Rescind your purchase now, you will not regret it.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes - it is a mistake - you should rescind immediately.

You can buy this timeshare on eBay for $1 - literally.

More info. about rescinding: (I wrote this for another TS - but the fundamentals apply to all resorts.) - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74493

justmeinflorida

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for both of your help...I was so torn about rescinding and not being able to find a re-sale but I have patients and can wait for one to come along.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
http://www.myresortnetwork.com/Condo-Rentals/Cape-Canaveral/Florida/Ron-Jon-Cape-Caribe-Resort/

http://www.myresortnetwork.com/Time...Canaveral/Florida/Ron-Jon-Cape-Caribe-Resort/

Seriously - take your time Patience you will find what you want

My suggestion would be to rent and stay there first before committing to a resale ownership. If you don't want to deal with an owner I am sure you can find a real estate broker who will add 1,000 to $ 1,500 on top of what you could buy directly from an owner that paid what you are about to rescind

Last edited:

Rob&Carol Q

Reaction score
not even a question...rescind. And DO NOT miss that postmark deadline.

that $2500 that you said you saw the unit "going for"...Was that off ebay? Seems high to me but I haven't looked into it.

Regardless, slow down and wander this site abit...after you've mailed your letter of course. Nobody here expects a quick rise in TS prices any time in the near future so you have plenty of time to buy if that's what you truly want to do.

Larry

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes you did make a mistake but you can fix it.

One more vote to rescind Immediately!!!!

Please do not waste any more time and do it today and follow rescind instructions exactly as stated in your contract. Also notify your cc company today that you intend to cancel as per your legal rights to do so within ten days so that if you have a problem with any deposit you can dispute the charge and provide all of your documentation.

I am positive that you can buy the same thing on ebay for way less than $2,500 and probably closer to $1.

justmeinflorida

TUG Member
Reaction score
not even a question...rescind. And DO NOT miss that postmark deadline.

that $2500 that you said you saw the unit "going for"...Was that off ebay? Seems high to me but I haven't looked into it.

Regardless, slow down and wander this site abit...after you've mailed your letter of course. Nobody here expects a quick rise in TS prices any time in the near future so you have plenty of time to buy if that's what you truly want to do.

Actually the only one I could find on ebay for sale was for $1 but she still owed about $11,000 for it :eek:

On TUG there's two listings one for $8,000 wk 1-52 & another for $1,200 wk 52

The one I found for $2,500 was on another timeshare site, that I found doing a google search, can't remember the name of it though.

justmeinflorida

TUG Member
Reaction score
http://www.myresortnetwork.com/Condo-Rentals/Cape-Canaveral/Florida/Ron-Jon-Cape-Caribe-Resort/

http://www.myresortnetwork.com/Time...Canaveral/Florida/Ron-Jon-Cape-Caribe-Resort/

Seriously - take your time Patience you will find what you want

My suggestion would be to rent and stay there first before committing to a resale ownership. If you don't want to deal with an owner I am sure you can find a real estate broker who will add 1,000 to $ 1,500 on top of what you could buy directly from an owner that paid what you are about to rescind

Thanks for the link...that's t he site I was on and found some units for sale.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Being in Tampa you might consider something within a day's drive, you can't check in till 4:00 PM usually anyway

I personally think the Destin/Panama City or Southern Gulf Resorts cities are nicer than the Space Coast for Beaches

Renting allows you to try out multiple areas before commuting to a maintenance fee contract

justmeinflorida

TUG Member
Reaction score
Being in Tampa you might consider something within a day's drive, you can't check in till 4:00 PM usually anyway

I personally think the Destin/Panama City or Southern Gulf Resorts cities are nicer than the Space Coast for Beaches

Renting allows you to try out multiple areas before commuting to a maintenance fee contract

We chose the resort because it was only 2hrs away and had everything we could want in a timeshare but now I'm wondering if we could get a good deal on another property and then just use RCI to stay at RJCC. I'm still very new to timeshare ownership and how the points? work, I was assured at RJCC a minimum of 28 points for our timeshare, they made it sound like those were really good points to trade with. Again I have no idea if they are or not. :shrug:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want Beachfront in a High Season , buy Beachfront in Season, those weeks don't get deposited in any exchange company except at the last minute due to scheduling conflicts

That being said, the market is so inefficient you will save Thoussands by renting or buying resale . . . . have patience

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Rescinda-Sinda-Sinda.

Did we make a mistake buying at Ron Jon's?
It's a nice timeshare in a fun Florida location.

If you bought a resale unit there for not much, that's no mistake.

But if you paid full freight, buying it straight from the timeshare company as "new" (even though there's no such thing as a new timeshare), then -- yes -- you did make a mistake. Get out of it while you can. (If you can.)

Nothing that the timeshare companies sell at full freight is worth the money. That goes for Ron Jon Cape Caribe Resort right along with all the rest.

Buy timeshares resale -- or get'm el freebo from the TUG Bargain Giveaways section. Save thousands of dollars on exactly the same thing, or the equivalent, or something even better.

Note: Click here for an explanation of why there is no such thing as a new timeshare.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

justmeinflorida

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply AwayWeGo that makes total sense. I'm just glad I have time to get out of this deal. I'm going in the morning to get a copy of my contract at Staples since the whole page won't fit in my printer and then I'm heading to the post office to send it certified mail w/ return receipt and I'm sending them two copies just to make sure they get it.

Boy do we have a lot to learn about owning timeshare, we almost made one of the biggest mistakes of our lives. So glad we found TUG and the wonderful, helpful people here. From the bottom of my heart THANK YOU EVERYONE!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Easy answer. RESCIND NOW while you can! Yes, you can buy the same exact usage / ownership for $2500 (actually, much less) that you are being asked to pay $15,000 or more for. NO timeshare is worth retail. This is no exception.

Rescind your purchase now, you will not regret it.

Rescind now and you can pocket $12,250. 00 Dollars.

This is a very nice timeshare that you could rent to any family during a Disney Cruise (Food for Through). Pre or Post Cruise.

Great location to the Disney port.

Last edited:

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
You mention buying cheaper and trading into Ron Jon. You need to be aware that RCI has a 1 in 3 years OR 1 or 4 rule for some resorts, including Ron Jon which means you can only trade into it every few years. So if you want Ron Jon then buy Ron Jon, preferably resale.

justmeinflorida

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have nothing to worrk about now, right?

Went to the post office today to send my rescind letter to RJCC. I made two copies of the letter and the first page of the contract. I sent them both certified mail with return receipt...I should have nothing to worry about now right? They can't hold us to the contract because we're within our window to rescind, right? Sorry I'm kinda of in a panic now! How long does it usually take for them to get back to you?

Can someone explain to me what this means? Do they get to keep some/all of my deposit because they booked me in a crappy hotel (not RJCC) for 3 days? I paid upfront $30 to go on the tour. Can they keep it because they let us use they're resort for a day? How will I know exactly when they received my cancellation letter/s, so I can send them they're owner materials?

Cancellation: In the event the Purchaser cancels this Contract during the 10-day cancellation period, the Seller will refund to the Purchaser the total amount of all payments made by the Purchaser under this Contract, reduced by the portion of any Contract benefits, including any overnight stays at the Project to be reimbursed at a rate of $250.00 per night, the Purchaser has actually received under this Contract prior tot he effective date of cancellation. The purchaser is responsible for returning all materials received upon execution of this Contract. If the Seller does not receive the Purchaser's owner materials within (10) calender days of the Seller's receipt of the written notice of cancellation, $50.00 will be deducted for Purchaser's refund.

TIA...you guys have been so helpful.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Cancellation: In the event the Purchaser cancels this Contract during the 10-day cancellation period, the Seller will refund to the Purchaser the total amount of all payments made by the Purchaser under this Contract, reduced by the portion of any Contract benefits, including any overnight stays at the Project to be reimbursed at a rate of $250.00 per night, the Purchaser has actually received under this Contract prior tot he effective date of cancellation. The purchaser is responsible for returning all materials received upon execution of this Contract. If the Seller does not receive the Purchaser's owner materials within (10) calender days of the Seller's receipt of the written notice of cancellation, $50.00 will be deducted for Purchaser's refund.TIA...you guys have been so helpful.

It appears that they can charge you $250 x 3 plus $50, so $800.

Consider it an expensive lesson - but a LOT better than the deal you are rescinding!

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
A few thoughts...

<snip> I should have nothing to worry about now right? They can't hold us to the contract because we're within our window to rescind, right? Sorry I'm kinda of in a panic now! How long does it usually take for them to get back to you? <snip>

Don't get stressed out if they don't actually "get back to you". While they are certainly obligated by applicable state law to process your rescission (cancellation), assuming that you followed the instructions precisely and met the state time deadline for postmark of your rescission letter, they are under no other legal obligation to "get back to you" at any time or for any reason.

That being said, however, if the sales weasels do try to "reach out" to you by phone, it will only be to try to salvage the sale (and their precious commission) by attempting to "sweeten the deal". You are under no obligation to take their call or to speak to them at all. In fact, it may well be better if you don't, thereby eliminating any possibility of any supposed "misunderstandings" of any phone conversation content.

Good luck, well done. You've dodged an expensive bullet, despite the "out of pocket" cost of the lesson.

Last edited:

justmeinflorida

TUG Member
Reaction score
It appears that they can charge you $250 x 3 plus $50, so $800.

Consider it an expensive lesson - but a LOT better than the deal you are rescinding!

Good luck, well done. You've dodged an expensive bullet, despite the "out of pocket" cost of the lesson.

According to the wording...they can only take the money from the deposit at closing? Or can they come after me for more money...ie the crappy 3 night stay at International Palms roach resort/motel?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
According to the wording...they can only take the money from the deposit at closing? Or can they come after me for more money...ie the crappy 3 night stay at International Palms roach resort/motel?

It appears that they are going to withhold $800 from your deposit: $250 per night for hotel stay, and $50 for the owner materials. If you want the $50 back, pack up the owner materials and mail them back too - return receipt of course.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score

If they do contact the consumer affairs reporter at all of the Tampa Stations as well as the newspaper

I would take this to mean for any nights you actually booked and stayed at the resort within the 10 Day rescission period

including any overnight stays at the Project to be reimbursed at a rate of $250.00 per night

In the six years hanging in here, with the exception of being charged for Breakfast by Westgate, I have never heard of anyone being charged for the accommodations or gift (ie Discounted attractions by Off Property Barkers) unless they did not complete their obligation and did not show up for the presentation, those terms are gemerally spelled out in writing

Last edited by a moderator:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
NOt what you want to hear, but...

I'd certainly be quite pleased to be wrong, but my initial read of the wording which you have provided (presumably quoted verbatim from your contract) in post #17 above would seem to indicate that you have already agreed, under your signature right at the time of contract execution, to assume responsibility (in the event of contract cancellation) for $750 in lodging provided to (and presumably already used by) you, plus an additional $50 if you fail to return the owner materials provided, upon contract rescission. It would seem to me that in the best case scenario (one in which you return the materials, at your own expense, and get $50 credit for doing so) this is ultimately going to be a $750, plus postage, "net loss" lesson.

To be honest, I would actually expect a developer who provides either transportation and / or lodging to sales prospects to build such "reimbursement" language right into their contracts, so as to avert (or at least discourage) the prospect of "professional temporary buyers" (i.e., those who actually plan in advance to promptly cancel their purchase after contract execution, in essence creating their own free "mini vacations" at the expense of the selling developer). I would surely construct and employ exactly such language myself, if in their shoes. Ultimately, it's virtually always the case that "there is no free lunch", one way or another.

I'd be delighted to be wrong here --- but would readily place a small wager that I'm not...:shrug:

Last edited:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bet you a cup of Coffee that they won't be charged for the off site motel accomodations,

of all of the recision reccomendations - everyone who lands here during the recision period - no one has ever posted about having to pay for the the stay for the presentation.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do we "Cyber handshake"?

Bet you a cup of Coffee that they won't be charged for the accomodations,

of all of the recision reccomendations - everyone who lands here during the recision period - no one has ever posted about having to pay for the the stay for the presentation.

You're on. XL, Dunkin' Donuts (...no yuppie Starbucks for me...) iced coffee, please. Black, no sugar. :D

The noteworthy difference that I see here (i.e., that which is distinctly different from most other freebie / trinket presentation situations brought up on TUG) is that the matter seems to have been quite overtly addressed (and mutually agreed to in writing, in advance, under signature(s) of the soon-to-be-former buyer). It is rare, in my experience, that developer sales weasels are this prepared, actually anticipating the situation (most abandoned the model of paying for prospects' airfare and / or accomodations years ago).

I'm going to go find my big insulated coffee mug now, but if I lose the "bet" I'll gladly fill yours instead. ;)

Last edited: