• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2011 ] Welks Resort Timeshare Help PLEASE!!

Blueboyz79

Reaction score
Sounds good.

We really liked Ko Olina so bought and EOY ocean view unit. We won't be able to enroll it in their DC point program, but we figured we would go there EOY, so it doesn't matter. It is a beautiful resort.

HGVC is very friendly to resale buyers. We have never stayed in HHV in Waikiki, but it is definitely a different feel being in the city. My understanding is you will have access to the entire HGVC system as a resale owner, which is a benefit if you want to try other HGVC resorts without going through an external exchange company.

There is definitely a lot of information about both systems here on TUG, so happy researching.

With regard to Welk, what did they say were the differences between buying points resale and directly from them?

Thanks.

Mike

What is the Marriot's DC Point Program?

I'm looking to buy a Ko Olina on eBay but the reseller does not take credit card. They only take check or money order. Do you think this is a good idea to give someone a money order? I'm afraid I might get screwed.

If I buy this timeshare on eBay do I need Title Insurance?

The timeshare says Week 27 Float. What does that mean?

If I rent it out I could only rent out week 27?

Last edited:

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
What is the Marriot's DC Point Program?

I'm looking to buy a Ko Olina on eBay but the reseller does not take credit card. They only take check or money order. Do you think this is a good idea to give someone a money order? I'm afraid I might get screwed.

If I buy this timeshare on eBay do I need Title Insurance?

The timeshare says Week 27 Float. What does that mean?

If I rent it out I could only rent out week 27?

The DC points program was started in 2009 or 2010. They stopped selling weeks and started selling points, except at a couple of resorts (Aruba?). Any unit bought resale after June 10, 2010 it is not eligible to be enrolled in the DC program and converted to points. However, if you buy your resale Ko Olina, you will be able to use it at Ko Olina or trade it via Interval International (II).

Depending on the seller, it is OK to buy on eBay. We bought our Ko Olina unit that way. Search for the seller's name here on TUG. If you can't find them, start a separate thread with the name in the subject line. There are some you should stay away from. Check or money order is the normal way. Use a closing company too.

We have not used title insurance due to the smaller amount. From what I have heard most people don't. You should ask for a financial estoppel letter from the developer to confirm there is no outstanding loan or late maintenance fees, etc.

Float means you can reserve a unit at any time of year, except I believe Christmas week. That was sold as a fixed week for a lot more money. So, you can reserve and use or rent out any other week.

I would recommend searching for Ko Olina or start a new thread in the Marriott section of TUG about buying Marriott. Ko Olina resale. There are a lot of Marriott owners and you will get a lot of great info.

Thanks for your earlier post about Welk. I didn't know some of that. We had purchased one of the big 2BR units resale and then paid to convert it to the points program. So, we are considered to be direct purchasers.

Mike

Blueboyz79

Reaction score
The DC points program was started in 2009 or 2010. They stopped selling weeks and started selling points, except at a couple of resorts (Aruba?). Any unit bought resale after June 10, 2010 it is not eligible to be enrolled in the DC program and converted to points. However, if you buy your resale Ko Olina, you will be able to use it at Ko Olina or trade it via Interval International (II).

Depending on the seller, it is OK to buy on eBay. We bought our Ko Olina unit that way. Search for the seller's name here on TUG. If you can't find them, start a separate thread with the name in the subject line. There are some you should stay away from. Check or money order is the normal way. Use a closing company too.

We have not used title insurance due to the smaller amount. From what I have heard most people don't. You should ask for a financial estoppel letter from the developer to confirm there is no outstanding loan or late maintenance fees, etc.

Float means you can reserve a unit at any time of year, except I believe Christmas week. That was sold as a fixed week for a lot more money. So, you can reserve and use or rent out any other week.

I would recommend searching for Ko Olina or start a new thread in the Marriott section of TUG about buying Marriott. Ko Olina resale. There are a lot of Marriott owners and you will get a lot of great info.

Thanks for your earlier post about Welk. I didn't know some of that. We had purchased one of the big 2BR units resale and then paid to convert it to the points program. So, we are considered to be direct purchasers.

Mike

The ebay listing says Week 49 Float.

Does that mean I could rent it out for the week of July through Marriot's rental department?

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Week 49 only relates to the week that is deeded to you. You can reserve and use or rent out any week except Christmas. I think that is the only week that isn't available. At most it is two weeks around Christmas.