• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2011] medical equipment & insurance - rent vs buy

JeffW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not really the correct title. My wife was prescribed an oxygen machine at the house for times when her O2 level is low. She used it a decent amount during the Summer (right after it was obtained), not so much recently. However it's a chronic problem, so eventually her need for it will probably come back.

Currentlly our insurance pays 100% of the cost. Come Jan 1 that drops to 80%. I'd trying to figure out if based on expected length of use (indefinite based on what the doctor said), if there's a way to get the machine purchased now (when my portion is 0%). The alternative is we start paying 20% of the rental in January, or if my wife things she really no longer needs it, returning it at the end of the year.

Owning it would probably eliminate (free) repair and replacement if it was still being rented.

I'm not looking to do anything illegal, just find out what my options are while I still have 2 months coverage under our current insurance plan.

Thanks.

Jeff

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
If your purchase price now is $0, I would buy it now. If it breaks and you need to pay for repairs, depending on the repair costs, you could then rent a new one at the 80% coverage if needed.

Ingrid

JeffW

TUG Member
Reaction score
The machine was brought to our house 6 months ago. We've had no interaction with either the medical company or insurance about it since then. [It's only by be looking online - I don't get paper EOB's - that I see the monthly fee insurance is paying for it.] My guess is this could have gone on indefinitely, unless either insurance or provider is watching it, and they say, "Oh, we paid in rental more than the purchase price, now it's owned."

My thinking, if I do nothing, is at some point next year the medical equipment provider will realize our insurance changed (they'll only be getting 80% of the allowable fee), and then start billing us for the rest. So I'm trying to find out now what my options (if any) are.

Jeff

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Your insurance may actually be renting it indefinitely. That happens sometimes. You should call them and see. Can you tell from the EOB you see online how much has been paid so far? You can find the price of the concentrator by searching for it online by name and model number.

Most concentrators are about the same, so my suggestion to you is to watch your local newspaper and Craigslist. You should be able to purchase one that way for < $100. All you would need would be connecting hoses, and they aren't that expensive (ask your current provider to send you out some now, and later buy from eBay or a medical supply). They truly don't need any maintenence and work for years without breaking down.

Fern

happybaby

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husbands insurance pays the majority of his concentrator which he uses at night only and runs thru his cpap machine

The cpap you pay a monthly copay for so long then you own it. But with the o2 concentrator you never own it. It is basically a rental fee we pay each month at approx. 27.00

that is about 325 per year. I dont think you can find a concentrator that cheap. And as far as repairs, his starting making a beeping noise after 3 years and the medical supply company just replaced it. Not cost to us

Now I have to start with o2 at night. I passed my 6 minute walk test with rate not to qualify me for oxygen 24/7. 91 to 97 (copd)
Since I will start medicare and get rid of my awful high deductible insurance i will now get the concentrator for sleep sats went from 82 to 97 during the night

My question is should i take a POC for air travel? Last year when flying home both me and DH sats were in the 80's to low 90 while crusising at 35000.we both just got over an respiratory infection so dont know if they contributed to the drop or not

I have one on order to take. Our fam dr wrote up the order and said would not be a bad idea. He has heart problems (afib at times) and I just got over viral pericarditis and we both have copd (me worse then him)

But i get around better because I make me go. He is overweight and does nothing. I keep moving whereas he does not much and has to take a break.

Our DD said I am over reacting She is a nurse. Said the planes are pressurized at 8000 feet but I feel I would rather be safe then sorry
The girl at the medical supply company also said she never heard of anybody wanting one, just in case. It is usually people who need it.

Since we dont qualify for 24/7 oxygen, we pay out of pocket and rent the POC for about 70.00 per week..

Later on I am also thinking of having my fam dr write a script for me to have a HAST (high altitude simulation test) This way I would know if my sats actually drop during flight
Anybody have this test done or familiar with it

Also has anybody taken a POC for air travel.

Am I over reacting or playing it safe. I sometimes think I bring on situation my self......panic attack.....

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Please note that this thread is a year old - please respond to the new post - #5.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It's fine, but many people don't look at the date of the original post, and they tend to answer the first post, instead of looking at the most recent post.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why not ask in a medical or copd forum instead of a timeshare forum?