• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2011] Favorite Hawaii Island

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kauai - It is exactly what I pictured as a little girl who dreamed of a trip to Hawaii when she got older. It has never disappointed me. Lush, laid back, tropical, sun and rain forest. Because of Kauai I took up hiking and got in better shape so I could enjoy it even more. After ,I believe 8 or 9 trips, and 2 timeshare purchases there, it is like coming home.

But I also like Maui, the Big Island and Oahu. We enjoyed our week on Molokai but it was too laid back for us. Just one more to visit Lanai then I can make a firm decision. . . I think. Maybe I should do more research there. :)

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I appreciate reading your replies, but I have to go with Steve on this one -- there can't be an absolute favorite because they each have their own magic and appeal. I like them all.

I went to high school on Oahu, and I've always enjoyed going back and visiting the old neighborhoods and favorite islander-only hangouts. I like the energy of Waikiki, but also the peace and quiet of the windward side beaches. Getting away from the crowds is half the fun.

Kauai is great for laid-back vacationing, where time truly slows down, and I can "unplug" for awhile. I never get tired of the feeling of being there. I especially enjoy the sunrise from the lanai of my t/s there.

Maui ramps everything up a notch, in a way Honolulu and Waikiki can't. Lots of great fun to be found there.

The Big Island is always a special treat, because there is something historically Hawaiian around every corner. It always feels like a blending of honest Islander traditions and Hawaiian history, with the overpowering excitement and raw power of the volcanoes.

No matter what I want to do, I always feel I can find it somewhere in Hawaii, and I'll make the most of any time I can spend there. I've been there plenty, and never, ever get tired of it. I can't say that about anywhere else I've ever vacationed.

Dave

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
If you're wondering why so many chose Kauai as number one, this travel writer did a good job explaining some of the things to do:

Robin Esrock

The video is fun to watch too.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
How can you choose?

I think that Kauai is most like the Hawaii you think of when you think of island paradise. It is beautiful and green! But we haven't found consistently good snorkeling there so that drops it down a notch for me. I do like its smaller size and I think that it offers the best hikes of all of the islands. We liked the Pihea trail and Powerline the best.

I have a selfish reason to like Maui - direct flights from our home airport to Maui. This translates into 2-3 extra vacation hours both ways! I also love the shore snorkeling here. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Sliding Sands trail up at Haleakala which may be one of my favorite hikes of all time. The scenery is simply stunning - seeing the chain of cinder cones in shades of red and green against the blue sky - it's breathtaking.

The big island also has great snorkeling and lots of historical sites. It also has my favorite hike of all time, found in an old edition of "the blue book", but because it crossed private property it is now gated and locked. (It seemed wrong that you had to go through a cow pasture to get to the trail head. Turns out it *was* wrong, as in trespassing wrong). We also like the Kiluea iki trail and the trail near Pololu. My unce lives here so this island has the family connection as well.

My dad is greatly disappointed that I don't like Oahu more as he was born and raised there, but it seems just like California to me, especially with the freeways. We've spent vacations there twice, including a week on the north shore. I doubt we'll go back. If you are there however, I recommend the Chocolate Haupia pie from Teds Bakery. That's almost worth a trip come to think of it.

The best thing about Hawaii is that there is something for everyone, and the weather usually cooperates! I love it there!

Last edited:

Darlene

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been to all the islands, and my choices would be -
1-Big Island - for all the reasons stated above plus horseback riding, Place of Refuge, Mauna Kea & Hapuna Beach, Cook Monument, kayaking in the bays with dolphins, the rainforest, the botanical garden in Hilo, Turtle Bay surfing, lava tubes, love the deep snorkeling places, Jason's restaurant and the eels
2 - Kauai - waterfall, hiking, Poipu and Marriott Kauai
3 - Maui - Lahana and Kapalua Bay, but so far from airport & touristy
4 - Oahu - too crowded, and touristy.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
1. Maui for the diverse activities, city, and great beaches
2. Big Island
3 Kauai
4. Oahu

icul8rg8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
1. KAUAI ... love the lush, green, beauty; waterfalls; the intense colors of Waimea Canyon; serenity; easy to get around.
2. MAUI .... the Hana side for the same reason as #1 (lush, green, beautiful).
3. OAHU ... that is, once you're outside of Honolulu. Hate the traffic.
4. BIG ISLAND - it takes a little getting used to, but it's growing on me.

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
From the time that I was a teenager up until our most recent trip, Kauai had always been my favorite island. And now it isn't. I am shocked that Maui has become my favorite, but it has.

What changed? Mainly what I like to do. As a teenager, I liked to body surf and swim. I liked how lush Kauai was/is.

Now that I am older, the shore break in Kauai is really hard on me. Getting in and out of the surf was really difficult, sometimes to the point that it seemed dangerous.

The access to snorkeling was much easier on Maui.

I am certain that part of it was where we were staying on each trip. too. Princeville has lovely views but the beach access stinks! Ka'anapali was a piece of cake. Within a hundred yards from our room we were on a reef looking at fish. So much easier.

I think that if I was staying in an ocean-front TS in Lihue, I would still like Kauai best.

elaine

taffy19

Reaction score
Each island has been our favorite when we are there except for Lanai but we were only there half a day so may have changed our mind if we had stayed longer. On the other hand, we loved Molokai for a whole week but you have to entertain yourself. If you like hiking or driving off the beaten path with a jeep through the forest and other dirt roads, this may be a vacation too that you will never forget. Molokai has the longest beach on the Islands but walking on the sand was very hard to do and there was nobody there. We saw several monk seals that week right on the beach (little cove) in front of the condo.

The Big Island has the lava flows and fantastic star gazing plus the lush rain forest too and the beautiful northern part of the Island plus fantastic snorkeling. I feel that it has the most to offer of all the islands but we love Maui and Kauai too so have no favorite island. We like them all. :cool:

dude-luv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kauai

Have been to all the major four islands several times. I have also spent a good week in Molikai. I consider Kauai the best island of the bunch but also love the other islands. This year I am staying in Oahu and Kauai on separate trips. Maui is fantastic, especially if you make the drive around the bottom after passing through Hana. I also like the north coast past Kaanapali. The Big Island is so big that you need to concentrate on a given area during a vacation. I have been there many times and am still discovering new places and new things to do. Oahu has the 'big city' mentality with the restaurants and shopping of Honolulu. But Oahu has a lot of beauty outside the big city. Moliki has the best virtually unused beach in all the islands. To lay low and appreciate R & R, visit Molikai.

For drop dead beauty and color wander around Kauai. Princeville and Hanelei are magic. Poipu is fantastic. The lookout and the canyon are unmatched. I don't understand people who have been to Hawaii several times but have never been to Kauai. I had one friend who finally made the visit and he called me half way through the trip and said, "Now I understand what you were talking about." Enough said.

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
Maui far and away for us. We've been to Kauai and Oahu. We still have young kids so we like that Maui has alot of energy, but at the same time all the beauty Hawaii has to offer.

We love the Road to Hana, the Black Sand Beach along the way and Homoa Beach right past Hana village.

We love Front St. in downtown Lahaina with Chicao Pizza and Moose McGilicuddys.

We love the beach walkway on Kaanapali Beach that leads to our favorite restaurant the Hula Grill and many other nice spots to eat and shop.

We love our Maui Marriott OF unit, the super pool and happy hour at Longboards.

^ Yup, us too. B.I. second, Kaua'i third (TOO laid back) & last Oahu.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread kind of died, but a comment another thread reminded me of it.

I just tallied the responses, and here are the winners:

Kauai - 14 votes
Maui and Big Island - tied with 6 votes
Love Them All - 5 votes
Oahu - 3 votes

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have been to Kauai once, Maui three times, Oahu once, never been to Big Island. I say Kauai, Oahu, then Maui. But I love them all too...

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For us

Kauai
maui
Big Island
Oahu
Lanai

Next trip will be Molokai. This year was our first trip to Maui and we think we want to go back at least once more. Went to the big Island on our first trip and think we want to go back for at least one more trip. We have been to kauai 5 times and Oahu 3 times. We don't have any desire to go back to Oahu but are glad we went thise times we did.

Cannot imagine going to Hawaii and NOT going to Kauai.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Cannot imagine going to Hawaii and NOT going to Kauai.

We must be the only people around who are not absolutely enthralled with Kauai. I've been there several times. It's never been my "must do" island. The last few times I've been there seems to have been some kind of insect issue that made it very unpleasant. :shrug:

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since this thread has been dusted off and brought back, and we're in Hawaii, I'll weigh in with an agreement with those who have posted that each island offers something unique, and therefore can't say there's a favorite. Having spent quite a bit of time on the four major islands, I can't pick a favorite. I still want to spend a week on Molokai and experience its uniqueness. Just to be here for me is enough.

Aloha,

Marty

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
And if someone with a user name of Kona Lovers can't pick a favorite, that's saying a lot!

While I did pick a favorite, I absolutely love all of the islands. They're each unique and fun.

Kind of like the saying about a bad day fishing being better than a good day at work, a day on any of the Hawaiian islands beats a day back home!

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
And if someone with a user name of Kona Lovers can't pick a favorite, that's saying a lot!

While I did pick a favorite, I absolutely love all of the islands. They're each unique and fun.

Kind of like the saying about a bad day fishing being better than a good day at work, a day on any of the Hawaiian islands beats a day back home!

LOL, isn't that the truth? That speaks to the appeal each island has in its own unique way. If forced to choose, I'd probably have to invoke my 5th amendment rights! (I wouldn't want to offend anyone choosing!) :)

pipet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai, Marriott Shadow Ridge

Completely agree. For me, it's like trying to pick your favorite food when your favorite food changes with your mood and you like nearly everything.

I am especially partial to Kauai b/c it is a hiker's paradise. I will never, ever forget hiking the entirety of the Kalalau Trail. Another favorite, and much more easily accessible is the Awa'awapuhi/Nualolo loop. There's a section where you hike out of the forested area to a wide grassy plain overlooking the cliffs that just takes your breath away. Alaka'i Swamp Trail is about as lush as anything you could imagine, and you get the added benefit of being covered in mud when you return to your TS!

Hawaii is wonderful to me because I love the volcano. I also am partial to the lushness of the eastern side of the island. I love that it has really unique places like the green beach. It's so large that I feel I've barely cracked the surface on interesting places to explore.

Oahu is lovely but I prefer less crowds. However, I do really enjoy dining on Oahu b/c there are so many choices!

Maui is beautiful, but like one of my friends pointed out, it's almost like San Diego but with an extra dose of the tropics - still pretty wonderful, but it feels more touristy than Kauai.

Molokai is very special to me because of memories from a trip many years ago. The cliffs are beautiful here, and I did a hike where I was able to pick a papaya right off a tree to snack on while walking. I also slathered on awapuhi on a suggestion from a local to help with mosquitoes. It did not repel mosquitoes but I smelled great.

Lanai - still on the to-do list

I tend to do different things on different islands, but no matter where I am, I have a blast and never want to leave.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maui is beautiful, but like one of my friends pointed out, it's almost like San Diego but with an extra dose of the tropics - still pretty wonderful, but it feels more touristy than Kauai.
LOL - just about ANYTHING would feel more touristy than Kauai. I would have to agree, though, that Maui (or perhaps Oahu -- at least the Waikiki area) feels the most touristy of all the Hawaiian islands.