• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2009] VRI-Resort & MROP Owners! Look Here Quick!

Ddee555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn; San Clemente Cove, Coronado Beach Resort; Gaslamp Plaza Suites; Royal Aloha Vacation Club (RAVC)
This wasn't here yesterday!!! The website is up for the VRI*ety internal exchange and it looks exciting!

http://www.vrietyexchange.com/Default.aspx

VRI is closed at the moment, otherwise, I would be creating an online account with a reservation agent now!

I'm going to deposit my MROP 2010 week tomorrow and start looking online right away!

Take care, everyone! :D

rkconnor

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's not VRI's website.

I went on the VRI site the other nite and reserved a room that I had been looking for and it applied a week that I had deposited with TPI. I then went to TPI website and noticed room had been confirmed. After further exploration I found that some how the TPI website is opening on the VRI site and they are in no way related. I called both VRI and TPI and neither exchange knows why it is happening other than it is actually the TPI website that is opening on VRI and VRI still has no plans for their own site. :confused:

Ddee555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn; San Clemente Cove, Coronado Beach Resort; Gaslamp Plaza Suites; Royal Aloha Vacation Club (RAVC)
MROP vs. VRI

Hi rkconnor,

I think you might have called the MROP owner number and not the VRI owner number. I have been told that MROP has no immediate plans for their own exchange website, but the internal exchange mechanism that was handled by ORE (who managed MROP before VRI), was sold to VRI.

Then, for the past year and a half, VRI has been promoting this new internal exchange VRI*ety, which debuted last week. It is being handled by TPI, but it is definitely for VRI-resort owners, including MROP owners.

I hope that makes sense? If you have questions, just ask.

Take care. :)

skisnow&water

TUG Member
Reaction score
Membership Activated for VRI's Exchange Site

I called VRI today and was given a user name and password for their new exchange site. I just logged in, it shows my deposited week and many weeks available for exchange. Looks pretty nice!:banana:

Ddee555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Great, skisnow&water

Great, skisnow&water! :)

Hopefully, you will find a week suitable for you and your family to exchange for. I think the new exchange is off to a great start with its inventory.

Take care. :cheer:

rkconnor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi again. I can find no difference between the TPI website and the VRI*ety site, they are identical. So the fact that your VRI weeks are on it is great since, in my opinion, TPI is a much better service to work with. Thanks Ron Connor

Arb

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Exchange Fee?

I've been exploring the site, but I can't find how much the exchange fee is!

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

skisnow&water

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pending request nuance with VRI

I did think VRI was worth a try and have succesfully traded a 2010 Jackson Hole week 11 for Christmas week this year at The Villages at Loon. Loon was one of my two preferred trade locations so we are very happy with the trade and the $81 exchange fee although I understand that it has gone up to $109 So here's the nuance:
When I put my request in back in February I asked for a 12/26 check in date which is a Saturday this year. Christmas is on Friday. As of 7/10, nothing had come through so I decided to do an on-line search on VRI to see if there was someplace else we would use my deposited week for since I thought the trade was becoming less likely to execute. The Loon week (2 BR which is what I was asking for) was there on-line but with 12/25 check-in ..not 12/26 Apparently VRIety's software does NOT do the +/- 3 day check in date like Interval's so it never "matched" in the system.
I was just lucky that I happened to search on my own and find it to confirm the week.
Everything worked out but I don't know that I would deposit with them again for two or three reasons.
1. Limited resort availability compared with depositing with II or RCI
2. The exact date match issue I noted above
3. The exchange fee that I originally thought was $0 for exchanging within VRIety is now $109 so it's very close to II's fee
I don't see any real benefit to using VRIety and it's an exchange system that is much less mature in terms of functionality compared to the others and has many fewer resorts to pick from.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
I did think VRI was worth a try and have succesfully traded a 2010 Jackson Hole week 11 for Christmas week this year at The Villages at Loon. Loon was one of my two preferred trade locations so we are very happy with the trade and the $81 exchange fee although I understand that it has gone up to $109 So here's the nuance:
When I put my request in back in February I asked for a 12/26 check in date which is a Saturday this year. Christmas is on Friday. As of 7/10, nothing had come through so I decided to do an on-line search on VRI to see if there was someplace else we would use my deposited week for since I thought the trade was becoming less likely to execute. The Loon week (2 BR which is what I was asking for) was there on-line but with 12/25 check-in ..not 12/26 Apparently VRIety's software does NOT do the +/- 3 day check in date like Interval's so it never "matched" in the system.
I was just lucky that I happened to search on my own and find it to confirm the week.
Everything worked out but I don't know that I would deposit with them again for two or three reasons.
1. Limited resort availability compared with depositing with II or RCI
2. The exact date match issue I noted above
3. The exchange fee that I originally thought was $0 for exchanging within VRIety is now $109 so it's very close to II's fee
I don't see any real benefit to using VRIety and it's an exchange system that is much less mature in terms of functionality compared to the others and has many fewer resorts to pick from.

Thanks for making that through report. I was thinking about giving them a try also, and it is good to hear someone else's experience.

ran-ran

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
VRI*ety EXCHANGE OPTIONS

Hi All,

I have been an owner of a VRI managed resort for a year now and I did not think much of using VRI*ety to do any exchanges until I just noticed that they have units at the Mayan Group Resorts. I did not know that VRI handles their management. Does anyone know how they are related?

As many of you know, RCI, in conjunction with the Mayan Group Resorts have a 1 in 5 rule to exclude RCI ex-changers from visiting the Mayan Group Resorts within 5 years. I looked on the VRI*ety site to see if they have such an exclusion but could not find one. Does anyone know from experience or knowledge if you have used RCI to trade into the Mayan Group Resort within the last 5 yeas if you would be excluded from trading into the Mayan Group Resorts using the VRI*ety system during that 5 year period?

Also, has anyone had any luck in exchanging a studio lock off for a 1 bedroom without upgrade fees or do they consider them the same?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
As many of you know, RCI, in conjunction with the Mayan Group Resorts have a 1 in 5 rule to exclude RCI ex-changers from visiting the Mayan Group Resorts within 5 years. I looked on the VRI*ety site to see if they have such an exclusion but could not find one. Does anyone know from experience or knowledge if you have used RCI to trade into the Mayan Group Resort within the last 5 yeas if you would be excluded from trading into the Mayan Group Resorts using the VRI*ety system during that 5 year period?
I'm pretty sure that the 1-in-5 rule is specific to RCI exchanges. While I haven't used VRI to exchange into Grupo Mayan properties, I (as well as many other TUGgers) have exchanged into the Mayan resorts through SFX without being subject to the 1-in-5 rule. We have stayed at Grupo Mayan resorts in the Puerto Vallarta area three times in the last five years without problem via SFX.

gravityrules

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MROP
Give VRI*ety a try!

VRI*ety exchange is run for VRI by Trading Places International so it seems VRI*ety gets some inventory through that relationship. I have exchanged into Stormy Point Village in Branson through VRI*ety and that is not a VRI managed or associated property. I also see Worldmarks and Wyndhams in their drop-down lists.

VRI*ety generally operates on the 'like for like' principal so you may have a size upgrade fee. The exchange fee is quite a bit lower than RCI so even adding an upgrade fee doesn't put you much past RCI's exchange fee alone. I don't think the 1 in 5 RCI rule applies to VRI*ety (or any other exchange company outside of RCI).

I like VRI*ety and hope it continues to grow. Hope you can get that Mayan!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
VRI*ety exchange is run for VRI by Trading Places International so it seems VRI*ety gets some inventory through that relationship. I have exchanged into Stormy Point Village in Branson through VRI*ety and that is not a VRI managed or associated property. I also see Worldmarks and Wyndhams in their drop-down lists.

Though I haven't made specific tests to verify this, my impression is that everything that is in the TPI spacebank shows up in the VRI*ety spacebank. But there is VRI*ety spacebank inventory that does not appear in the TPI system.

I have done three trades so far through VRI*ety - just did my third yesterday. Lower cost, and I love being able to split my week. I have found that VRI*ety is great for creating weekend getaways or filling in a few days on the front or back of another trip to be able to match up to lower air fares.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Though I haven't made specific tests to verify this, my impression is that everything that is in the TPI spacebank shows up in the VRI*ety spacebank. But there is VRI*ety spacebank inventory that does not appear in the TPI system.
That is my impression, too: Everything that Trading Places has is also available in VRI*ety. However, VRI*ety has additional inventory that is not available via Trading Places. This additional inventory is generally at VRI-managed resorts, and some of it is quite desirable.

As for the Grupo Mayan question, I don't think there is any relationship between the VRI management company and Grupo Mayan. Trading Places gets a fair amount of Grupo Mayan inventory, and that inventory is available to VRI*ety members. I don't think any 1-in-4 type rule applies to any resorts booked with VRi*ety or Trading Places.

I have done three trades so far through VRI*ety - just did my third yesterday. Lower cost, and I love being able to split my week. I have found that VRI*ety is great for creating weekend getaways or filling in a few days on the front or back of another trip to be able to match up to lower air fares.
I've done a batch of VRI*ety trades, but I haven't tried their split-week option. Back in the days before VRI bought out ORE, there was a split-week option for ORE owners, but it always seemed too complicated to me, with several fees involved. Steve, when you split your week with VRI*ety, do you just pay a second exchange fee, or are other fees involved? (I know that you can only get one weekend for each deposited week; the second exchange has to be for four weeknights.)

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That is my impression, too: Everything that Trading Places has is also available in VRI*ety. However, VRI*ety has additional inventory that is not available via Trading Places. This additional inventory is generally at VRI-managed resorts, and some of it is quite desirable.

As for the Grupo Mayan question, I don't think there is any relationship between the VRI management company and Grupo Mayan. Trading Places gets a fair amount of Grupo Mayan inventory, and that inventory is available to VRI*ety members. I don't think any 1-in-4 type rule applies to any resorts booked with VRi*ety or Trading Places.

I've done a batch of VRI*ety trades, but I haven't tried their split-week option. Back in the days before VRI bought out ORE, there was a split-week option for ORE owners, but it always seemed too complicated to me, with several fees involved. Steve, when you split your week with VRI*ety, do you just pay a second exchange fee, or are other fees involved? (I know that you can only get one weekend for each deposited week; the second exchange has to be for four weeknights.)
IIRC - when you make the first reservation you pay the exchange fee plus a splitting fee. You don't pay anything extra for the second exchange fee because it's not a new new exchange; you're just using the unused portion of that previous exchange.