• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2008] Westgate Resorts- Financial status

Tranger

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are owners at the Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort in Gatlinburg TN. In general we have been happy with our timeshare.

With the economy as it is, we were wondering if the Westgate system is financially stable? Where can we find information on the financial solvency of this timeshare system? Thanks.

lv_maui

Reaction score
With the economy as it is, we were wondering if the Westgate system is financially stable? Where can we find information on the financial solvency of this timeshare system? Thanks.

you will not be able to find this information since it is private. But the owner has been quoted in newspapers talking about how bad the financing market is impacting his business. Then, last week, I heard that WEstgate is in trouble since their lender may be giving Westgate trouble.

So. the rumors are there, but nothing factual.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We can hope its bad news for this group

The King was also crying to Florida taxpayers asking for a bailout last week. Sounds like trouble in the Kingdom! Couldn't happen to a better bunch. We can only hope this is finally able to topple the King and turn ownership/operation over to owners as it was supposed to have been 10 years ago. This is as unethical and obnoxious a company as can exist. It would be one small blessing if the credit crunch brings them to their knees (Maybe they can sell a few of the multimillion dollar homes to raise a few bucks?)

lv_maui

Reaction score
The King was also crying to Florida taxpayers asking for a bailout last week. Sounds like trouble in the Kingdom! Couldn't happen to a better bunch. We can only hope this is finally able to topple the King and turn ownership/operation over to owners as it was supposed to have been 10 years ago. This is as unethical and obnoxious a company as can exist. It would be one small blessing if the credit crunch brings them to their knees (Maybe they can sell a few of the multimillion dollar homes to raise a few bucks?)

Yes, Mr. Siegel sure does give off a negative vibe. John is well known to dislike this company, but you are definitely not alone. Many do!!

I hear that he has some very serious problems with lack of financing. He actually had a meeting with some Middle Eastern investors looking for money, ie Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates.

Moodyblues

TUG Member
Reaction score

X1000.

We are just a couple of many who have been crooked by wastegate!

frenchieinme

TUG Member
Reaction score
The economy causes many things...

you will not be able to find this information since it is private. But the owner has been quoted in newspapers talking about how bad the financing market is impacting his business. Then, last week, I heard that WEstgate is in trouble since their lender may be giving Westgate trouble.

So. the rumors are there, but nothing factual.

With the way the economy is and continues to be, people will certainly look into diverse ways of financing one's property. Hence it does not surprise me he would look into alternaste financing sources in this case presumably the Saudis. Why not? If the conditions are good and support the financial entity & owners, I believe its a good move.

In the demanding financial times, this is when RESERVES take on the important meaning one should always consider before buying a property owned by many, be it a condo, timeshare, or whatever. With the varying opinions being voiced on TUG and oither boards concerning Westgate, I seriously wonder if things could be better financially than they presently are. I know if the Westgate Resorts were to become owners' associations, there would be an immediate input from owners (a refreshing item) but could the owners' association create a better financial RESERVES balance sheet than exists now? :shrug:

It appears the present monopolistic developer association is running things straight from the book. Changes have been made which changed the status quo. How this affected others depnded on which side of the bathroom door you were standing when asked to define how long a minute is.

If one looks at the timeshare agreement/contract one signed when one bought (who in actuality really does read that at the time of purchase anyways :shrug: ), then one will see the developer has actually done what is allowed for the developer to do based on what is in the agreement/contract. There have been decisions which when made adveresely affected some and benefited others. That is true even in our local government entities when changes are made (examples would be zoning changes, code changes, etc...).

Foir example, at Westgate Lakes there are over 10,000 owners, renters or exchangers there at any one given time. It is quite difficult to maintain a set of guidelines all can agree to. It would seem one would need to makes decisions from the center and have the left and right leaning sections discontented at any decisions arrived at regardless opf wheher they were from developer or owner associations. Heck, there is quite a bit of dissatisfaction and owner discontent at timeshare resorts I have been in the past 10 years or so. People often can and do disagree with whatever decision is arraived at regardless it seems of hoiw well intended the people making the decisions were.

frenchieinme :hi:

Moodyblues

TUG Member
Reaction score
With the way the economy is and continues to be, people will certainly look into diverse ways of financing one's property. Hence it does not surprise me he would look into alternaste financing sources in this case presumably the Saudis. Why not? If the conditions are good and support the financial entity & owners, I believe its a good move.

In the demanding financial times, this is when RESERVES take on the important meaning one should always consider before buying a property owned by many, be it a condo, timeshare, or whatever. With the varying opinions being voiced on TUG and oither boards concerning Westgate, I seriously wonder if things could be better financially than they presently are. I know if the Westgate Resorts were to become owners' associations, there would be an immediate input from owners (a refreshing item) but could the owners' association create a better financial RESERVES balance sheet than exists now? :shrug:

It appears the present monopolistic developer association is running things straight from the book. Changes have been made which changed the status quo. How this affected others depnded on which side of the bathroom door you were standing when asked to define how long a minute is.

If one looks at the timeshare agreement/contract one signed when one bought (who in actuality really does read that at the time of purchase anyways :shrug: ), then one will see the developer has actually done what is allowed for the developer to do based on what is in the agreement/contract. There have been decisions which when made adveresely affected some and benefited others. That is true even in our local government entities when changes are made (examples would be zoning changes, code changes, etc...).

Foir example, at Westgate Lakes there are over 10,000 owners, renters or exchangers there at any one given time. It is quite difficult to maintain a set of guidelines all can agree to. It would seem one would need to makes decisions from the center and have the left and right leaning sections discontented at any decisions arrived at regardless opf wheher they were from developer or owner associations. Heck, there is quite a bit of dissatisfaction and owner discontent at timeshare resorts I have been in the past 10 years or so. People often can and do disagree with whatever decision is arraived at regardless it seems of hoiw well intended the people making the decisions were.

The problem is when those "decisions" are underhanded and downright crooked. I will freely admit I made a huge mistake by not sitting down and reading that entire contract before I signed. My wife and I just wanted a place we could go on vacation every year and not have to deal with the hotels. We told the sales rep that we wanted to travel, use our unit anytime during the year since he explained the "floating week" concept. We made a mistake by trusting someone that we were buying what they said we were getting. I am a business owner and my customer base expects me to be upfront or I will lose my business, obviously the time share business doesn't work that way.

frenchieinme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yup...

I am a business owner and my customer base expects me to be upfront or I will lose my business, obviously the time share business doesn't work that way.

I agree. Too often people put their faith in the hands of people (in the timeshare business these are the salespeople) who tend to say what is needed to get others to sign on the dotted line.

STEVENCHADG

Reaction score
westgate smoky mt !? the hounest truth someone !

i purchsed the 1/2 time share interest value season -float week/float unit which i got the 1 bedroom deluxe cabin. my price was 8,300.98 ok i was ask why so i high he said that i got enroll in the interval gold and ice rewards program for 2 yrs at the end of my date of my contract i can renewel it or denine it .ok someone tell me did i get screw over or what?

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
i purchsed the 1/2 time share interest value season -float week/float unit which i got the 1 bedroom deluxe cabin. my price was 8,300.98 ok i was ask why so i high he said that i got enroll in the interval gold and ice rewards program for 2 yrs at the end of my date of my contract i can renewel it or denine it .ok someone tell me did i get screw over or what?

As on your original thread - you are getting ripped off. Rescind NOW! Do not go through with the deal & don't let them talk you out of canceling. Really. It is a BAD deal.

wcfr1

TUG Member
Reaction score

You bought a one bedroom unit every other year during low season and paid over $8000. Like so many of us have done at least once, you paid full retail.

Since you used the term cabin I assume you are in Gatlinburg. That same $8000 on the resale market could have probably gotten you a two bedroom unit every year during high season. Maybe not even that much.

If you tried to resell your unit on the secondary market you wouldn't get much. Check ebay completed sales and see what they have actually sold for.

wcfr1

TUG Member
Reaction score
The King was also crying to Florida taxpayers asking for a bailout last week.

I live in Florida, own Westgate properties, do believe the company has money problems and read the papers, but... I have not heard or read of any such bailout request other than on this board. Got any details or links to any articles that we can read about this first hand?

Wouldn't be surpirsed if he like other big companies in the state are out looking for tax brakes, it's just I haven't heard anything about him out crying to Florida taxpayers for a bailout.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
ake money and don't be shy to ask for more. Wastegate at work

I live in Florida, own Westgate properties, do believe the company has money problems and read the papers, but... I have not heard or read of any such bailout request other than on this board. Got any details or links to any articles that we can read about this first hand?

Wouldn't be surpirsed if he like other big companies in the state are out looking for tax brakes, it's just I haven't heard anything about him out crying to Florida taxpayers for a bailout.

It was early this year as I recall. I'll try a search to see if any of the reports are still on line. Remember when the King and some of his jesters were found guilty of sexual harassment the news stories were yanked within a week. Very strange and again shows the weight the big buffoon throws around in central FL. He found out he was a minnow when he tried playing in Vegas and it may yet cost him the whole ill-gotten empire.

wcfr1

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was early this year as I recall. I'll try a search to see if any of the reports are still on line. Remember when the King and some of his jesters were found guilty of sexual harassment the news stories were yanked within a week. Very strange and again shows the weight the big buffoon throws around in central FL. He found out he was a minnow when he tried playing in Vegas and it may yet cost him the whole ill-gotten empire.

Conspiracy theorist I am not.

As for his sexual harrasmant news stories being yanked within a week... I just googled "david siegel sexual harrasment" and got over 5000 hits. So much for the news being yanked.

Please do see if you can find any info on the taxpayer bailout. I couldn't find any. He may very well want something but I would like to see what was asked for. I thought you said he asked for it last week. Now you say it was earlier in the year?

Yes the Vegas project couldn't have come at a worse time. I truly believe that is the main thing dragging the company down financially. Followed by tightened rules for getting loans of course.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Too much never enough for Wastegate

The story appeared in the Orlando Sentinel either in January or March this year as I read it in the actual paper while in Orlando. I searched every known news source for a bunch of key words and get nothing now.

It basically said that the King felt timeshare - and most importantly HIS timeshares - had created a lot of jobs in Central Florida and now they should get a bailout for the tough times. Obviously the idea went no where as it shouldn't have. I'll keep an eye open in case it shows up someplace again.

Moodyblues

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had some friends in Orlando telling me people are filing quck claim deeds of their properties back to the resorts.

Anybody else know about this?

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't count on it, if they are really in financial trouble the last thing they'd want to do is take back properties that have MF attached, when they have plenty inventory to sell atm.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Quitclaim Is Not An Automatic Quick & Easy Out.

I had some friends in Orlando telling me people are filing quck claim deeds of their properties back to the resorts.

Anybody else know about this?
Filing a quitclaim deed does nothing unless the recipient is willing to accept the ownership transfer.

Some timeshare resorts will accept deedbacks & others won't. There are sound grounds both ways.

It's important to find out the particular timeshare's deedback acceptance policies & practices before filing a quitclaim deed willy-nilly & assuming that takes you off the hook for the timeshare.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

bathroomuser

TUG Member
Reaction score
The story appeared in the Orlando Sentinel either in January or March this year as I read it in the actual paper while in Orlando. I searched every known news source for a bunch of key words and get nothing now.

It basically said that the King felt timeshare - and most importantly HIS timeshares - had created a lot of jobs in Central Florida and now they should get a bailout for the tough times. Obviously the idea went no where as it shouldn't have. I'll keep an eye open in case it shows up someplace again.

Hi! I've just stumbled upon these threads and would like an opinion please.
We both lost our jobs last May and we now owe Wastegate a lot of money because we haven't been able tokeep up the repayments. Yes, I know we went about buying TS all the wrong way, we just got sucked in like a whole lot of others and no-one feels more STUPID than we do, but my question is this...if they go "belly up" where does that leave folks like us?:shrug: :bawl:

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hi! I've just stumbled upon these threads and would like an opinion please.
We both lost our jobs last May and we now owe Wastegate a lot of money because we haven't been able tokeep up the repayments. Yes, I know we went about buying TS all the wrong way, we just got sucked in like a whole lot of others and no-one feels more STUPID than we do, but my question is this...if they go "belly up" where does that leave folks like us?:shrug: :bawl:

Unfortunately the company going "belly up" doesn't change anything regarding your obligations to pay back any loan you have or the annual fees. Who you owe it to may change but that's it. In fact collection efforts might become even tougher as they look for cash to support / bailout the company. It is no answer to whatever you may owe them.

bathroomuser

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the company going "belly up" doesn't change anything regarding your obligations to pay back any loan you have or the annual fees. Who you owe it to may change but that's it. In fact collection efforts might become even tougher as they look for cash to support / bailout the company. It is no answer to whatever you may owe them.

Thanks for your input.You may have mis-understood the reason for my question.The who I owe it to part was relevant,however,I was not looking for some magical way out of my obligations.But thanks anyway!