• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2008 ] Title/Deed Transfer in the USVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Looking for Title Company for WSJ Deed Transfer

I am looking for a Title Company (or attorney) that can handle a deed transfer for WSJ (USVI) - any suggestions/recommendations?

Previously, I would have used John Faeth, but with his untimely passing I do not have a contact that specializes in the USVI.

For those inquiring Tuggers... No, we are not selling our villa. We have the opportunity to buy the adjacent week to ours from the original sellers that sold us our week. We have always wanted 2 weeks in STJ/WSJ - so this opportunity is out best chance because of the fixed week nature (and Fri-Fri usage) of WSJ VG.

As I know the sellers and have been in contact with them over the years (upstanding folks) - this would be a simple deed transfer (no title search or insurance needed) - except the nuances of this transfer occuring in the USVI. I am assuming the back taxes, and paying the USVI transfer tax. I could probably figure out how to do this myself, but too busy at the moment.

And... Yes - I realize that we said no more Timeshares, but as stated - this is an opportunity that we should take, or give up our week as 1 week in STJ is too short coming all the way from CA.

Any help here would be appreciated - any Tuggers that have transfered a resale WSJ with a positive Title Company experience would be appreciated.

TIA

Last edited:

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
No help here, we used John also, and had his wife finish up the paper work after John's passing.

Just wanted to say congrats! I know you have posted many times of wanting that adjacent week at WSJ. Patience is has paid off for you.

Tom

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
No help here, we used John also, and had his wife finish up the paper work after John's passing.

Just wanted to say congrats! I know you have posted many times of wanting that adjacent week at WSJ. Patience is has paid off for you.

Tom

Thanks - it is one of those " be careful what you wish for..." circumstances.

Since I trust the sellers - it may be worthwhile checking on how this can be done simply without a Title company. Too bad John isn't with us still - I know he would have given me free advice on how to do this myself.

I know how to get a normal deed transferred - it the USVI complication that needs to be dealt with. I guess I should ask in the Main TUG forum that deals with this.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
We have an opportunity to purchase a resale week (week 23) at Westin St John (USVI) from the owners who sold us our original week (week 24). This way we will have two adjacent weeks (fixed) for the same unit (fixed unit).

I know and trust the sellers so I am looking for someone who can facilatate the Title/Deed transfer between us. I don't need a title search or an escrow acount, but will go that way if needed.

Any recommendations on someone (Closing Company, Attorney) who could facilitate this for us that is familiar with Title/Deed transfers in the USVI?

Since I am not worried about the Title being clean and do not need an escrow account - any good sources for doing this ourselves?

I know that this is not ideal. This would have been perfect for John Faeth.
{btw, I am surprised and saddened that his affairs have still not been cleaned up. We were lucky in that our business with him was completed prior to his untimely passing.}

Any suggestions/recommendations are welcomed.

TIA

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
The jumbies are being kind to you David . 2 weeks on ST John every year is a beautiful thing.:D

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The jumbies are being kind to you David . 2 weeks on ST John every year is a beautiful thing.:D

Thanks - we weren't planing on going in 2009 (why we were looking for a WKORV OF exchange), but now it looks as if we need to re-evalute our plans for this reason and the potential impending buy-out of our beloved company which may no longer support sabbaticals every 6 years.

Hasn't anyone used a closing company or attorney familiar with Title/Deed transfers in the USVI?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
so... no one has a recommendation for USVI closings?
or is it that they are all bad?

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
I won't be much help but CONGRATULATIONS!! :banana: :banana:

Katherine

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
so... no one has a recommendation for USVI closings?
or is it that they are all bad?
How about googling an on-island realtor that handles TS sales as will as other real estate and ask who they would recommend if you purchased a unit thru them.

I just HAPPEN to have a real estate brochure here.....re/max www.remax-islandparadiserealty.com has a little box on their page saying 'enjoy all amenities of the westin resort..call for complete listing.'

www.holidayhomesVI.com - specifically mentions TSs

WWW.ISLANDIAREALESTATE.COM
www.towncountryusvi.com
www.tropicalpropertiesvi.com

oN stt BUT FEATURE rITZ-cARTON FRACTIONAL IN THEIR AD.
www.usvi-realestate.com
Has R-C and Marriott in their ads
re/max www.virealestate.com
www.stoutrealty.com

Last edited:

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Closing agent for Westin St Johns

Sorry- I haven't been paying attention to TUG lately..

For that resort- I show the majority of past closings sent to Tom Bolt and Associates, PC www.vilaw.com and to Timeshare Title, Inc www.Timeshare-Title.com

St Thomas Title & Abstract LLC will perform the title search and issue a policy- but you'll still need an attorney for the deeding.

Starwood is normally very helpful with closing agent recommendations as well, so you may want to contact them for a list of their recommended firms.

Congrats!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
thanks - I have tried to google - and did find Tom Bolt.

dtminnesota

Reaction score
John Faeth Estate- unable to get purchase closed

Tom

I noticed you had a closing completed after John's death. We purchased from John a year ago and havent been able to get the deed to the week nor have been able to make any contact with John's wife? Would you have any contact or advice?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I noticed you had a closing completed after John's death. We purchased from John a year ago and havent been able to get the deed to the week nor have been able to make any contact with John's wife? Would you have any contact or advice?

Lucky for us - John completed our paper work (for WKV purchase and adding Robin's name to the WSJ Title) prior to his untimely passing. At this point in time - I do not have any advice. There is a thread on the "Buying/Selling" forum dealing with John's unfinished business. Unfortunately, there seems to be others in your situation.

henryjohn.k

Reaction score
Westin St. John

I own a week 24 villa at the westin st john.
I want to make a quick sale. Anybody know what price would sell fast?
Should I go through a realtor?
Thanks

Henry

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
Villa

:confused:1,2 or 3 BR?
Bay Vista or Hillside?
Unit Number?
2013 Maintenance Paid?

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Henry

In 2011 I sold my 2 bd. WSJ Villa for $4k as I wanted a quick sale and got it.
I bought it for $12k and sold it as I had scored 2 Marriott Custom House Plat units at auction. Also, as much as I loved the WSJ, I could not justify the high MFs for my own purposes.

Please note that there are WSJ units that are now being given away just for the closing/transfer fee prices. Not many, but they're out there.

I used TUG's Marketplace and Redweek. Did not use a realtor. Got a lot of hits through our Tug site, but sold to a Redweek buyer.

These fine folks handled the transaction: http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160158&highlight=jayne+kellogg

Jayne A. C. Kellogg
Birch, de Jongh & Hindels, PLLC
Attorneys at Law
Poinsettia House at Bluebeard's Castle
1330 Estate Taarnebjerg
St. Thomas , Virgin Islands 00802
Telephone: 340/774-1100 Ext. 6
Facsimile: 340/776-0342
Email (direct to Sender) jackellogg@bdhlawvi.com

Last edited:

dogwood7

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sent you a PM regarding your week. (sorry clarification below)

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks

Henry

Weird to see this thread from me started a few years ago pop-up... I wonder if people who were dealing with John ever got resolve?

Henry - more info is needed for any type of reasonable response.

However, not likely much - Week24 is a great time to visit StJ (IMO - for many reasons - we own wks23-24), but unfortunately it is not as valued as highly as Plat+, but at least better than Sept-Oct.

As the weeks (including check-in day) are fixed, as well as the villa - it really means finding a buyer who is looking for a fixed/fixed situation that fits their vacation needs.

The MFs have appeared to stabilize and hopefully will continue - increases in MFs are harmful to everyone as it creates a viscious cycle of the HOA having to deal with MF deliquencies and foreclosures - which means increases in MFs. Now... if we can only get the lawsuit behind us and more forward and put the obstructionists behind us.

Last edited:

dogwood7

TUG Member
Reaction score
henryjohn.k
I sent you a PM regarding your St. John week.

ekinggill

TUG Member
Reaction score
We used Bolt Nagi. Full service law firm and title company.

Not anywhere close to the cheapest, but we were very satisfied.

www.vilaw.com

henryjohn.k

Reaction score
[Advertising is not permitted in the discussion forums]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.