• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2008] Peregrine Townhomes San Luis Pass-Whacked by Ike

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I just saw CNN's live fly-over footage of the barrier island and saw the damage done to Peregrine Townhomes timeshare resort in Texas. I've stayed there and owned 3 weeks there and know the layout. It looks horrible, all the units look severely damaged. Their one large beachfront pool surrounded by the fence is completely filled with debris. You wouldn't know it was a pool unless you had stayed there. I'm no insurance inspector, but honestly I wonder if it's going to be considered a total loss. There is so much standing water all around there, and if power doesn't get restored, they won't be able to assess damages and repair it in sufficient time to save it. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, and I did like the place. I hope Sam and Melissa and the Peregrine mgmt family are safe at least.

Btw, when I bought there, I got my timeshares cheap because of a large special assessment owners had suffered due to tropical storm damage. I hate to think what the next assessment might be post-hurricane Ike. A lot of TUGgers own weeks there because of excellent trading power. I hope it turns out ok for everyone concerned.

bschrager

Reaction score
I saw the same thing as you on CNN and it did not look good. I only own 1 week but last time we lost our trading rights for a couple of years due to the tropical storm and got the assessment, I can't imagine what will happen now.

susan1738

TUG Member
Reaction score
ARGH!!

I own 3 weeks there! This is gonna hurt!

I just paid my first ever "special assessment" at Inverness by the Sea in Galveston this past year. And I bet that was all for nothing, since there will need to be another special assessment to fix the damage Ike did there too.

FOUR weeks of special assessments is gonna kill me! :doh:

Shouldn't insurance pay for most of the damages? :confused:

susan1738

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can't find the video

I tried looking up the video you all were talking about, but couldn't find it on CNN.com. Do any of you know the link? I sure would like to see that video. Thanks for the help!:D

Dunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how this works? I'm assuming that the resort won't be up and running by next summer.
I have already deposited and traded my 2009 week with RCI.
Does the 2009 week not beng available now become RCI's problem, or will they cancel my trade.

Thanks

bschrager

Reaction score
From my experience when there was damage from the tropical storm as long as you have already deposited your weeks you are still able to use them for exchanges but going forward you will not be able to deposit any new weeks until RCI or II gives them the all clear. I think last time I could not deposit my week for about 2 years, thankfully I only own 1 week. Even when you lose the right to deposit until they place it fixed you can still use all the benefits of being an RCI or II member like the extra vacations.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I tried looking up the video you all were talking about, but couldn't find it on CNN.com. Do any of you know the link? I sure would like to see that video. Thanks for the help!:D

Susan, sorry but that was a live feed, a helicopter fly-over the day after the storm made landfall. It has not been archived on CNN.com and likely will not be on there. I can't say for sure, as it is not my dept.

cr4909

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons I dumped my Peregrine week about 3 years ago in favor of a more inland resort. Hopefully, that one made out a lot better, but it still might have been flooded. Also, the MF's were high for the amount of points I get at Peregrine and kept going up. I remember the SA for the tropical storm and decided to get out then. But it seems that anybody in a hurricane prone area (i.e., Florida, Outer Banks) is taking a risk. Hopefully insurance coverage can mitigate the SA's to a reasonable amount, as I know how painful those can be.

reddiablosv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do owners get a choice?

I also own one week at Peregrine Townhomes that I purchased to get into RCI points. I bought resale and have relatively little invested. Although I still own there, I also own at another Points resort so no matter what happens to Peregrine I will still have RCI points. Given the almost certain high cost of restoring the resort, I would like the owners to be given a voice into the future of the resort. Even if the insurance covers 80% of the loss, I am sure I would be financially better off to take the insurance money for the loss, just tear the building down and sell off the land. To me it is a marginal resort to own at best given the ratio of MF to points. Another special assesment is not worth the money.Give the owners the financial facts and let the owners decide the resorts future. :(

Last edited:

bschrager

Reaction score
I own a week in May and would have to say it has gotten me some really nice trades...and I only paid $950 for my week about 10 years ago.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also own one week at Peregrine Townhomes that I purchased to get into RCI points. I bought resale and have relatively little invested. Although I still own there, I also own at another Points resort so no matter what happens to Peregrine I will still have RCI points. Given the almost certain high cost of restoring the resort, I would like the owners to be given a voice into the future of the resort. Even if the insurance covers 80% of the loss, I am sure I would be financially better off to take the insurance money for the loss, just tear the building down and sell off the land. To me it is a marginal resort to own at best given the ratio of MF to points. Another special assesment is not worth the money.Give the owners the financial facts and let the owners decide the resorts future. :(

I am in exactly the same boat as you. I bought dirt cheap to get into RCI Points. I would like to know all the facts before leaping into a costly rebuild.

Although I don't have another RCI Points resort, my guess is that if Peregrine is not rebuilt, RCI would leave my Points account open. If so, I would just do an extra "Points for Deposit" transaction to build my Points balance.

GEORGE

reddiablosv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marginal in terms of point values.

Wow, a marginal resort??? My week is my best trader...
Bay Club in Hawaii, Manhattan Club in New York...

In terms of the ratio of MFs to points there are other points resorts that yield more points for the dollar. As a trader, I have not used it in the weeks system. But, just to let you know, My South African white week with a MF of $265 pulled a school holiday Manhatten Club week. So, what will pull what is always a crap shoot. I just don't want to be hit with a large hurricane special assessment, when I could be cashed out with a few grand in insurance money. To me it would just be a business decision. Ben

TSTex02

TUG Member
Reaction score
Peregrine Townhomes Live!!!

I just found a couple links to satellite image and aerial photograph after Hurricane Ike. These are the best images I've seen so far.

If you have Google Earth installed you can see "before and after" satellite images by toggling "NOAA Imagery" on the left hand side of the screen with this link. Click on the link and Google Earth starts with the NOAA overlay.

http://mw2.google.com/mw-earth-vectordb/disaster/ike/HurricaneIke_nl.kmz

Here is an aerial fly-by look from the Gulf:

http://coastal.er.usgs.gov/hurricanes/ike/post-storm-photos/20080915/20080915_150826d.jpg

Looks like the structures are all there but the pool is filled in with debris. I don't think anyone has been allowed back in that area to see what the insides look like.

While you are in Google Earth take a look at Bolivar Point east of Galveston. Unbelievable damage. Whole neighborhoods gone.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Thanks for that google link. Wow it is easy to see the damages when you get the before and the after sat images.....

bschrager

Reaction score
Thanks for the link to the photos, it looks like Peregrine didn't make out too badly. I wonder what the plans are for the future.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
From the looks of the photos it looks like there is substantial beach erosion. This may cause some problems becauseof the laws regarding the public right of way. The end building looks like the surf comes right up to it . Texas has laws on the minimum distance allowed based on the high tide.

seatrout

Reaction score
I took the drive toward my beach house today and saw the Peregrine on the way. The biggest challenges down there would be getting access and power. Bluewater highway sustaind significant damages on its last 5 miles. There is now a makeshift road via beach. The county estimate it would cost 50M to repair. Since our power and Peregrine power come on this road, we would not likely have power until the road can be rebuild (6-12 months)

As far as damages- Most of anything on the 1st floor and not on stilt was damages. Don't know about the TS but for us- the first floor and pier was not insurable.::mad:

Happytravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
Peregrine

Found this on their website. Not much information but some. Will we be checking regularly to see the updates.

September 20, 2008

Peregrine took a direct hit from Hurricane Ike on September 13, 2008. The roads to and from Peregrine are washed out with sections missing, making them non-passable. Damage assessment of Peregrine has started today, September 20, 2008, when authorities allowed access to the island. We will be updating the web page as information becomes available.

Board of Directors, Peregrine Town Home Association

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
dunk: We had same thing when Iniki wiped out Kauai -- we had already traded our week and we got to proceed normally. RCI was the one that took the 'hit'.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Found this on their website. Not much information but some. Will we be checking regularly to see the updates.

September 20, 2008

Peregrine took a direct hit from Hurricane Ike on September 13, 2008. The roads to and from Peregrine are washed out with sections missing, making them non-passable. Damage assessment of Peregrine has started today, September 20, 2008, when authorities allowed access to the island. We will be updating the web page as information becomes available.

Board of Directors, Peregrine Town Home Association

Marilyn,

Thanks for posting...I sure hope Peregrine makes out ok. And btw, how did *you* make out, my friend? Are things getting back to normal for you and your family? Hope everyone is ok!

Carol

Happytravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
Hello Carol,
My family did ok. Little leak, lost the fence. We feel very fortunate. We also only lost power for 24-36 hours. We were out of town so not sure about how long.
We live in the fourth largest city in the country, having said that ALMOST ALL THE TRAFFIC LIGHTS WERE OUT OR MALFUNCTIONING....

Lots of businesses and schools where closed for about a week. Made for less traffic on the roads..

still lots of debri that needs cleaned up...

Happytravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
Peregrine/Inverness by the Sea

I called RCI yesterday. They said Inverness by the Sea will be closed until April 2009. Peregrine will reopen some time in Dec. :whoopie: