• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2008] How low do you set your thermostat when you're gone?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

JoeWilly

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just got some winter tips from our insurance company and it said don't set the thermostat below 55.

ljane

TUG Member
Reaction score
We live in Pennsylvania. We leave our house temp. set at 55. We also have the water company come and shut our water off, when we are ready to leave the house. Most home's have a shut off valve away from the main water line. Our's is buried in the ground in our front lawn, next to the main city water line. Once they shut the water off, we drain all our water lines inside the house. For the water company this is a simple proceedure. It takes about 10 minutes total. They have a special tool to locate the shut off valve, and dig about 3 inch round hole to get down to the valve to shut is off. They also put the plug of grass and dirt they dig out back into the ground. It doesn't leave a hole and your yard it not damaged.
Then we leave worry free about pipes freezing. Before we return home, we call and tell them when we will be home, and schedule a turn on time.

I dont know if all water company's do this but, it really helps us.

ljane

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
We live in Pennsylvania. We leave our house temp. set at 55. We also have the water company come and shut our water off, when we are ready to leave the house. Most home's have a shut off valve away from the main water line. Our's is buried in the ground in our front lawn, next to the main city water line. Once they shut the water off, we drain all our water lines inside the house. For the water company this is a simple proceedure. It takes about 10 minutes total. They have a special tool to locate the shut off valve, and dig about 3 inch round hole to get down to the valve to shut is off. They also put the plug of grass and dirt they dig out back into the ground. It doesn't leave a hole and your yard it not damaged.
Then we leave worry free about pipes freezing. Before we return home, we call and tell them when we will be home, and schedule a turn on time.

I dont know if all water company's do this but, it really helps us.

ljane

How much do they charge you? You can also buy a "valve/water key" at a hardware store and turn it off yourself.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
55 and shut off the incoming water supply valve. Nothing more. We've had the basement flooded twice, once from a water heater leak and once from downstream sewer blockage. Ewww yuck!

Jim Ricks

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a boiler with 5 heating zones that distribute heat by circulating hot water to the baseboards. Would it be a good idea to shut off the well pump and drain the well tank in case the power goes out and the pipes freeze. This way I won't have a broken pipe being fed water when the power comes back on. Will the boiler still function without pressure from the supply side?

Mike

Mike, WELCOME.

You ask, "Will the boiler still function without pressure from the supply side?"
I would think so so long as there's no pressure drop.

I ask, Will your boiler work with the power off? Will that system freeze without heat?

I would think you need a backup system to assure you are covered. Having friends helping to fire up the backup can be handy.

As I posted last year, "When we lived in Cadillac, MI, I treated the house as though everything would freeze while we were gone... Seems as though while you're away, electric goes out or that's when lines break... always something!

So, I suggest you treat for everything freezing, just to have peace of mind. Plants go to someone else. Drain all water including the water tank(s) and treat traps and commodes. Set heat to minimum. That way, if you lose heat you're covered. To me it's worth the effort, just to know we aren't flooded or froze up while we're off somewhere enjoying life."

ljane

TUG Member
Reaction score
Phil,
We do have a "valve/water key" but the city considers this their water line. Being it is their line, we are not allowed to shut it off ourselves. I believe they charge us $10.00 to shut off and $10.00 to turn back on.
Ljane

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Phil,
We do have a "valve/water key" but the city considers this their water line. Being it is their line, we are not allowed to shut it off ourselves. I believe they charge us $10.00 to shut off and $10.00 to turn back on.
Ljane

I have never heard of that one before. We have a valve on our main water line to the house that is in a cement box in our lawn about 4 feet from the sidewalk. We can turn it on and and off whenever we want to. That has been the same in every house we have owned.