• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2008] Grand Regina Villa Cabo San Lucas [Not Starwood]

nanaboat

Reaction score
Villas are still not completed, but there is a meeting in Sept. and owners should receive info. soon. Connie McDonogh

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Last edited:

nanaboat

Reaction score
These are starwood timeshares and I'm sad because they have had my money since 2004!!!!!

BradC

Reaction score
The Grand Regina Villas are being renamed the Westin Los Cabos Ocean Villas (WLCOR?). Details are in this thread.

Hopefully the announcement is about the end of the construction delays!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thanks Brad - I moved it back to the Starwood Board.

Last edited:

mindy35

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just checking.....this is the Grand Regina resort and not the Club Regina?

Club Regina had been converted from Westin to Raintree. Did SVO take it over too?

BradC

Reaction score
Yes, the Grand Regina is different from Club Regina.

If you picture the hotel property as you enter from the highway, the hotel is in the center, Club Regina on the left, and the Grand Regina is on the right.

As I recall, Club Regina has been owned and operated by Raintree all along. The Grand Regina was being built by Raintree, but Starwood purchased the rights to the remainder of the unbuilt project.

To my knowledge, Starwood has never had a connection with Club Regina, other than sharing some of their properties with Westin-branded hotels.

nanaboat

Reaction score
This property still has not started construction and after a conversation I had with starwood the other day, they don't plan on starting construction until late 2009! They keep saying there are third party issues.

stevens397

TUG Member
Reaction score
All I can say is that my business partner purchased this three years ago and is inconsolable. He purchased a single holiday week (Spring Break) and has gotten nothing but promises, while they have all of his money. The completion date has been moved back time and again and while he assumes it may someday work out, he's beyond fed up.

Then again, he didn't purchase from Starwood, but they did send a PR letter to him twice when they purchased it and led him to believe that since they are the new owners, everything was back on track. You also have to understand that while the previous poster said that there is no construction taking place, we're talking about project where the steel girders are all up and construction has already begun. It's not like they are building from scratch, so the "third party issues" seem suspect to me.

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
Have either of you asked for your money back?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yeah... don't you have any legal recourse if the developer doesn't complete the project and permit you to use the resort? Or is this "all different" in Mexico, or a standard waiver in all pre-construction purchases? Perhaps we're seeing the real implications of buying pre-construction and one of the reasons prices are lower.

stevens397

TUG Member
Reaction score
Worse than that. When he purchased, there was a note (no interest, I think, as the resort wasn't even built yet) with a balloon. When the balloon came due, it was now owned by Starwood and he told them he would not pay it but would continue paying it out as he was already doing.

No dice, they said. It tooks tons of escalation to finally get them to concede. I think the problem is he bought from one corp and he's now dealing with another - altho he probably wouldn't get his money back anyway. Really hard to believe.

jkrischt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't believe them for 1 second but...I just got back from an owner's update at SVR last Thursday. They would not stop talking about Los Cabos and how it is opening soon (they said Sept of next year). They were pitching it to all new potential owners. So it sounds like it might be back on track...but of course I know better then to believe them!

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
I don't believe them for 1 second but...I just got back from an owner's update at SVR last Thursday. They would not stop talking about Los Cabos and how it is opening soon (they said Sept of next year). They were pitching it to all new potential owners. So it sounds like it might be back on track...but of course I know better then to believe them!

Any pricing? Any size information? Any layouts, other than what's on the website you posted? All I know about Cabo is that it was a stop on the Love Boat! (wait, that makes me old enough to have watched the Love Boat...nevermind):ignore:

jkrischt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any pricing? Any size information? Any layouts, other than what's on the website you posted? All I know about Cabo is that it was a stop on the Love Boat! (wait, that makes me old enough to have watched the Love Boat...nevermind):ignore:

I know nothing...and neither did the people at SVR except that it was "opening soon". Soon to them may mean 5 years though...

Par

Reaction score
Grand Regina Villas

We bought this fractional ownership in 2005. We were at the GRV last Feb. The building pads are there only. Starwood is not going to build because of the credit crisis. We are really upset about this whole thing as we bought 2 weeks at the GRV. The PRC's (Private Residence Club) were built but not the villas.

Last edited:

tlpnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you get official notification from SVO? The information on their website updated last month doesn't indicate that it's been postponed. In addition, my contacts at Starwood haven't yet been told it was put on hold/cancelled.

-tim

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Did you get official notification from SVO? The information on their website updated last month doesn't indicate that it's been postponed. In addition, my contacts at Starwood haven't yet been told it was put on hold/cancelled.-tim

If you expand the "Construction" tab:

"Starwood Vacation Ownership is committed to pursuing the development of The Westin Los Cabos Ocean Villas and it remains one of our top priorities. We have overcome many of the obstacles facing us before resort construction can begin, but some obstacles remain. We are working with several third-party companies on critical issues and agreements that must be satisfactorily resolved before we can move forward with the development. While we are actively engaged with these companies and working toward resolution, we cannot control the amount of time this process may take or the final outcome. We will provide an updated development report as soon as we have a better understanding of the resolution of these issues."

stevens397

TUG Member
Reaction score
In looking over this thread, I see that I did leave some information out in a previous post.

Yes, my business partner paid in full and this project is going nowhere. But they do let him have a 2 BR at Club Regina until Grand Regina is complete. For the first few years, they would let him rent as many as he wanted in CR. We passed up our Kierland one year to spend a week at CR and had a great time for the $640 maintenance fee. That's when we toured GR and we too were blown away by it.

In terms of price, he paid about $60,000 for his 2 BR ocean view about 3 years ago (maybe 4). So I have to expect Starwood will make it even more expensive - which certainly explains why they are delaying in this market.

nanaboat

Reaction score
Grand Regina Villas - Cabo

Just received notice Villa are not going to be built. All Villa owners who paid, in advance, good luck. Connie McDonogh

I bought 2004 and upgraded from Club Regina to Grand Regina. I can't wait to see what the offer is.

Last edited:

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW! Who did this notice come from?

Also, I didn't see this project on the recent presentation to Merryl Lynch by Starwood, making me think the same thing -- they are going to pull the plug on the resort (like Aruba).

I am wondering for those who bought there, did you buy through Starwood?? Or some other company who said Starwood would take over? I guess I am just not understanding how they could take all your money and then not give you a refund if the project doesn't go. What sort of promise was made on PAPER? I know we can completely ignore sales people so I am just curious what do these contracts actually say on paper???

Katherine

nanaboat

Reaction score
Has nothing to do with starwood. Club regina/raintree. Proposal being put together to buy us out after having our money for four years!!!!