• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2008] Does Long Term Care insurance make sense?

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I had term insurance through my employer. As I got older, the premiums increased slightly but the benefit decreased significantly. A simple choice for me was to switch paying for the term insurance and start applying it to LTC.

Basically, I never missed the money and had better protection in case of the frailties of old age.

I do have the objective of dying of a heart attack while skiing as an avalanche is about to overtake me. Won't get to use the LTC but wild dreams seldom come true anyway.;)

Cheers

Merilyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a policy with Genworth and I am so glad I got it. It never increases in cost but has an inflation rider so the benefit goes up each year. I saw my family care for several members who needed constant care for months so I won't leave that expense to my family should I need help. My father had ALS and needed around the clock care for a very long time. They had to pay out of pocket for this because he didn't have long term care and wasn't on medicare. If you want to get it, don't wait until you have a medical problem. It cost a lot more then!

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
LTC and CLASS

So we're still pondering the insurance. Hubby thinks we should wait. He said:
Oct 1, 2012 is when the government LTC program (Community Living Assistance Services and Supports (CLASS)). will start. Since turning 52 is not a massive premium hike, should we wait a year to get more info (and save $3k)?

Does anyone know anything about this?

Black Diamond

TUG Member
Reaction score
45 and 47 y.o couple just enrolled with 10%

My wife and I bought policies to cover each other at the age of 45 and 47 respectively. It is through Prudential Insurance offered group policy as part of State employment without a physical. It offerred a 10 % discount for couple.

I have seen the full benefits with my father that had Alzheimer, best way to protect one's estate from daily rates of assisted living and nursing facilities.

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been working in healthcare for 35 years and would not own a policy unless it was supplied by my employer. I have chosen to do a VUL, which is much less expensive than LTC and can help cover those costs if ever needed. I am also at liberty to use these funds to cover different needs than are covered by a LTC policy. Will it cover all my expenses? Absolutely not! That is why I have savings.

Many long term care policy benefits do not start until you have had 100 days of skilled care, which is a medicare (partly) covered benefit. After the first 20 days of medicare covered skilled care, out of pocket expenses are approx $120 per day. Some LTC policies do not start for 90 days to 180 days after the need has been certified and you have paid for out of pocket care. Make sure you know when your policy would start before you purchase it. I wish I knew more about the government proposal, but like any other plan, I am sure it will not fit everyone's needs.

Only 5% of the population is in LTC at any given time. A lot of people pay huge sums of money into LTC insurance but only 36- 50% of those who pay in ever receive any part of that benefit. If you need it, and have paid into it, then great, but otherwise it is not useful. Look at your family history, your personal health history before you take a policy. Not one of my family members nor my husband's family has ever needed LTC. Many LTC policies ONLY cover nursing homes, not skilled facilities, assisted living or home care. Know what your policy offers and how infirm you need to be before you can access coverage.

These policies are huge money makers for those who sell them to you. It is in their interest for you to purchase this. My sister in law sold these policies for years for a major corporation and DID NOT buy one for her or her husband, because she knew what a bad investment it is. Rates for private insurance through the big companies may rise as much as 40% this year.

When searching the web for information, most of the sites that recommend these policies are sponsored by either the insurance or healthcare industry, and therefore have a huge bias. This link is to a Consumer Reports article. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ance/overview/long-term-care-insucance-ov.htm Money Magazine also did a similar article.

Make the decision that is right for you and for your spouse and extended family. Me, I am with with x3 skiier who wants to go with the avalanche. My father was always hoping to be shot by a jealous husband. Both my husband and I have discussed this with each other and with our children and we have come up with a plan that is agreeable to all, will not over burden each other or our children and will allow us to live (and to die) with dignity.

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does Long Term Care Make Sense

For most people (Warren Buffet being the exception) the answer is a resounding YES! A debilitating illness will financially ruin any person or family. It is that simple. The odds are very high as you age that you will suffer from such an illness. The only issue is what policy to buy.

Of course, they are only useful if you use them. (Duh). Of course, insurance companies try to make money from them and therefore sell them! (another bigger DUH!)

Last edited:

Black Diamond

TUG Member
Reaction score
Variable Universal Life insurance??

I have been working in healthcare for 35 years and would not own a policy unless it was supplied by my employer. I have chosen to do a VUL, which is much less expensive than LTC and can help cover those costs if ever needed. I am also at liberty to use these funds to cover different needs than are covered by a LTC policy. Will it cover all my expenses? Absolutely not! That is why I have savings.

Life insurance, anything other than Level Term Insurance - 10 or 20 year term, is just as much a Profit-Maker for Insurance Salespersons as any. "BUY TERM LIFE AND INVEST THE REST" says my Financial Advisor, who has advised me to "Start early and do pay-roll investments plus individual Roth IRA's, children's 529 and UTMA's, along with get a LTC policy prior to 50 and health issues cause un-insurability or premiums sky rocket. He is not salesman of any of the policies or products that I have investments or insurance in. He is simply an ADVISOR to sound decision making that my wife and I have heeded over the years. We have a written will and are currently working in development of a Revocable Living Trust for all of our assets as additional protection from losses of our inheritance to the costs of elder care and estate tax issues down the road. Can I suggest that you have an "ADVISOR" that works for YOU to advise you and then talk to the 'SALESMEN AND WOMEN " that ares sellers of the above products, KEEP THESE TO PERSON APART FROM ONE ANOTHER- never mix the two types of persons and their jobs and duties to YOU!!

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Life insurance, anything other than Level Term Insurance - 10 or 20 year term, is just as much a Profit-Maker for Insurance Salespersons as any. "BUY TERM LIFE AND INVEST THE REST" says my Financial Advisor, who has advised me to "Start early and do pay-roll investments plus individual Roth IRA's, children's 529 and UTMA's, along with get a LTC policy prior to 50 and health issues cause un-insurability or premiums sky rocket. He is not salesman of any of the policies or products that I have investments or insurance in. He is simply an ADVISOR to sound decision making that my wife and I have heeded over the years. We have a written will and are currently working in development of a Revocable Living Trust for all of our assets as additional protection from losses of our inheritance to the costs of elder care and estate tax issues down the road. Can I suggest that you have an "ADVISOR" that works for YOU to advise you and then talk to the 'SALESMEN AND WOMEN " that ares sellers of the above products, KEEP THESE TO PERSON APART FROM ONE ANOTHER- never mix the two types of persons and their jobs and duties to YOU!!

So how do we find an advisor?

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can I suggest that you have an "ADVISOR" that works for YOU to advise you and then talk to the 'SALESMEN AND WOMEN " that ares sellers of the above products, KEEP THESE TO PERSON APART FROM ONE ANOTHER- never mix the two types of persons and their jobs and duties to YOU!! [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

This was my advisor who suggested the VUL, which made sense to me because of my long term needs. He is also the one who advised LTC insurance, which I have elected not to get for the reasons stated in my other post. Advisors jobs are to advise and as consumers our jobs to decide what works and does not work for us. There is no "one size fits all", and what I also said in my post (as did you) is make sure you are getting your information from as unbiased a source as you can, not just the insurance field or those who provide the service.