• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2008] Can anyone share a successful "resale" story?

smb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone that can tell me about a successful sale of a timeshare? Did you go with a company or list it yourself? I'm undecided as to whether to persue selling my timeshare or trying to use it myself.

Thanks!

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have sold a few. 1 on redweek and another to friend. I did not make a profit, I just sold it for the resale price I purchased it for.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Timeshare Vacationing Is More Fun Than Selling Timeshares.

Is there anyone that can tell me about a successful sale of a timeshare? Did you go with a company or list it yourself?
We bought an outstanding resale timeshare in 2002 & resold it a year later for the same price that we paid for it -- $3,500 -- via advertising it in TUG classifieds.

I view the whole experience -- 1st time buying and 1 & only time selling -- as Beginner's Luck.
I'm undecided as to whether to persue selling my timeshare or trying to use it myself.
Shux, if you already own a timeshare, having fun with it by using it beats the sox off selling it.

By "using it" I mean going there yourself some years, renting it out for big bux other years, & swapping your week at your timeshare some years for a week at somebody else's timeshare.

Is this a great country or what ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

CLIFFTOPS

TUG Member
Reaction score
resale

bought marriott platinum horizons orlando one year ago at price on ebay of $6250.
needed to sell recently and was successful on tug listing at $6950.
with closing costs etc one year ago i feel i broke even.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Is there anyone that can tell me about a successful sale of a timeshare? Did you go with a company or list it yourself? I'm undecided as to whether to persue selling my timeshare or trying to use it myself.

Thanks!

Here's the rub - even the nicest timeshares don't sell on the resale market for what you paid the developer. Note that all the posts above are from people who bought resale. If you bought from the developer and than sell your TS, 99% of the time you are going to take a loss - with some timeshares, a 90% loss. You may just want to get out from under the maintenance fees, and that's OK, but if you vacation at all, or would like to, you might be better off figuring out how to use your TS and we can help you with that.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have successfully sold several

I sold five last year; four east coast summer beach weeks and one summer Massanutten week, and made a nice profit on the sales (all resale purchases on eBay). I sold several this year. All sold through free advertising. I haven't been successful with TUG classifieds yet. I've never used REDWEEK. No luck with MyResortNetwork, which is fee based. No luck with Bidshares. I sold two on eBay for the first time. eBay is a great place for buying, but not selling. Sure, I sold them. But I got nowhere close to what I had invested. One was summer in Cape Cod and the other was summer in Big Sky. I wish I had held off and sold through the venues that I normally use. I buy my timeshares on eBay, but I won't sell on eBay again. I have found Craigslist is a great way to rent and sell. As stated, price your timeshare well and it will most likely sell. Pay no upfront fees for someone else to sell your timeshare. Most take your money and that's the last effort they make.

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you will find that most of the veteran members of TUG have bought and sold multiple weeks, many of them on the resale market.

You really have to determine the price you can get now versus what you paid for the week. If the week was purchased directly from the developer, expect the current selling price to be pennies on the dollar, unless it is a Marriott, Hilton, Disney, or similar top drawer product.

I own one week that would be worthless if I tried to sell it--probably wouldn't even fetch a dollar on Ebay. I acquired it for free about 12 years ago. I would never take it now as I have learned enough to know that free isn't free--there are maintenance fees, Special Assessments, exchange club fees, etc... Through years of good advice on TUG, and lots of trial and error, I've learned how to obtain great trades with it, even to the Manhattan Club and Hawaii. As the saying goes, "When life gives you lemons (or you are so ill-informed you ask for one), then learn how to make lemonade"

RuralEngineer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sold Two

I have purchased one unit from the developers inventory, three resales from ebay, and one from a timeshare real estate agent. I sold the Myrtle Beach 1 BR to a coworker and the Cape Cod 2 BR unit on bidshares ( purchase $950 - sale $600 ).

I have tried MyResortNetwork and Redweek but no success yet either with sales or renting.

Stephen

Last edited:

jschmidt

Reaction score
I sold one last year during Happy Hour at the resort bar. I mentioned that I was thinking of selling and threw out a price. As I was leaving, a lady ran after me and said she would like to give me a $100 deposit. :clap: I had purchased the unit at a good price and sold for a $100 profit. This was a fixed week resort. My suggestion is to be there the week before or the week after your week and put out the word that you have a unit for sale at a good price. Someone with an adjoining week may be interested.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have the opportunity to use it first, do that. Then you will be more knowledgeable on details for a potential buyer.

caribbean

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Bought Morritts Grand 2BR from developer and held it for about 3 years. Sold it right after Ivan for $20K or 70% of original "investment". Not too bad all things considered. Saw one just sell on eBAY for less than $4000. :)

Bought two SA-GC fixed holiday weeks resale and held them for 3 years. Deposited and used all 6 weeks. The Rand to USD had changed, so sold for amount that equalled our original purchase price + the 6 MFs paid + $200. So got to make 6 trades for free and pocketed $200.

Sold all 3 myself. Advertised on TUG, MyResortNetwork, & Bidshares. Got hits on all three. Morritts sold from Bidshares in about 10 days. One SA sold from Bidshares and the other from MRN. Those took about 2 weeks each. Price it right, list it well with full information and you can sell them.

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where are all the Disney owners?

Where are the DVC owners who actually sold for a profit?

maggie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I owned two weeks at the same timeshare and decided to sell one week on myresortnetwork. I got so much interest that I went ahead and sold the other week too. I priced them fairly with the resort manager's help and actually made a little bit on them only because I paid so little for one of the weeks. I saw one recently on eBay and it sold for about what I got.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We sold a week at one of the Royal Resorts in Mexico on TUG for a fair price. Quick and easy, and the Royals have a great title transfer dept so we didn't need any thing with closing companies, title searches, etc.

James1975NY

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

I have a lot of experience with timeshare resales. If you would like to share what you own, I will be happy to tell you what you should get for it to sell it relatively quickly (assuming you want to sell quick).

send me a PM with your details...

zoobiedo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a Windjammer Landing resale from RedWeek and could not be happier:D . We use it every year - actually we go for 2 to 3 weeks every year. Can't Wait as this year's trip is fast approaching.

I owned a unit in Hawaii that I bought resale in 1999. It had very little resale value so I donated it this year. I was able to pick my charity which was the Hearing Dog Foundation. I was really happy with my donation as I got more than my money's worth out of the timeshare itself and I was able to help a great cause.

reddiablosv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bought, used, rented, traded, then resold.

I bought on ebay a unit in Antigua for $1100. I used it, then traded it directly for a week in Rome, then rented it for 2 times the MF, then sold it for $2500 on Redweek. I had a good experience. Wish me luck on my next 20 timeshares.:)

susiequeve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sold a fixed prime summer Cape Cod week right here on TUG. I, however, took a big loss (over 50%) but I wanted to unload it. The sale took about 3 months. Thanks Tug!!

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also sold two Cape Cod weeks in the last few months

Sold a fixed prime summer Cape Cod week right here on TUG. I, however, took a big loss (over 50%) but I wanted to unload it. The sale took about 3 months. Thanks Tug!!

I bought them two years ago (both summer weeks) because here on TUG there was a lot of discussion about Cape Cod summer weeks being great traders. The one that was a VRI resort did get me some great exchanges with the VRI preference. However, this year I tried to rent both of them and couldn't even rent them for $450 for the week. I decided to downsize the number of timeshares I own and can personally use and took losses on both (especially the one sold on eBay). I had bought both on eBay and thought I had gotten good prices; however, not good enough that I was able to recoup my money.

Goofyhobbie

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
For the Benefit of tartanwood who is considering the sale of his Whistler timeshare (as posted 7/26/08 under Thread Entitled: Winning vs losing ebay sales--confused and disappointed and for the benefit of others who are discouraged by the BUYER'S Market on E-Bay here is year ago thread that should give you encouragement.

I especially like Jennie's quote above where she says:
"When life gives you lemons (or you are so ill-informed you ask for one), then learn how to make lemonade"

The time frame of the original OP's posting was September, 2008 when the Stock Market tanked and no doubt many of the sales mentioned preceeded that event; but some of the ideas presented are still good ideas and should be considered along with the HOW TO SELL YOUR TIMESHARE THREAD on TUG.

sandcastles

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where are the DVC owners who actually sold for a profit?

I sold my BCV at Disney about a year ago. I had an offer from someone to buy it but I didn't want to go thru the hassle. I sold thru a resaler that took 10% commission. It sold the day after I listed it. Even after paying the commission I made money on it.

I also sold one TS at South Seas on Captiva. I bought it thru Stroman and sold it thru the resort. Resort charges 20 or 25%, can't remember which. I still made a $6000 profit. I couldn't have sold it for half what the resort did.

vkhome

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just closed last week on a float week (Posted on TUG about successful closing with PCS Holdings).

I had it listed for a long time, but was not aggressively selling as it rented well. Someone saw my post on TUG - offered $500 less than my asking price, but paid the closing costs and all transfer fees. I was happy, they were happy and all is well in the world (well, not really, but we can always hope).

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I successfully sold a timeshare

I successfully sold one of my timeshares myself a couple years ago. It sold in just a few weeks for my full asking price. I sold it by listing it on myResortNetwork.com and using a good timeshare closing company which I can't recall their name. The sale went very smoothly. I received several responses and multiple offers. All of the responses were from serious buyers.

There is absolutely nothing that a resale company can do any better than you other than take your money.

It is a much tougher market now so selling your timeshare will not be easy under any circumstance.