• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2008 ] any truth or rumor to Wyndam taking over RCI ???

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, heard from a fellow RCI member that on a tour of the Vacation Villages in the Berkshires that Wyndam (sp) is in the process of buying out RCI ??? This should take effect in January. Any truth to this ???

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham already owns RCI. They were originally both owned by the same company, Cendant, which bought RCI maybe 5 years ago. Cendant divided into several companies a couple years later. The Wyndham spin-off owns RCI.

A lot of long-time TUG members noticed a decline in customer service at RCI when Cendant bought them. But, whatever damage there is from Wyndham owning RCI has already been done.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
... A lot of ... TUG members noticed a decline in customer service at RCI when Cendant bought them...

Including me. I had a single unit with RCI and received decent trades in the early years, but no decent offers in the latter years after Wyndham took over. I used to call RCI and gripe feverishly over the fact that I could see plenty of weeks in their rental pool for the exact weeks and location that I was trying to exchange into.

I switched that week over to II, who has given me 2 bonus weeks for 2 deposits and 1 good trade to date with another pending. Bad news is that II changed their rating system this year and my week dropped down a notch. We shall see how that goes in the future. I already am able to see less good quality weeks now.

Terry

dukebigtom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Funny, I just did an update at a Daily Vacation Resort in Palm Beach and the Owner Representative who they called in special just to meet with us even though she only deals with owners usually swore that there isn't and never was any relationship between RCI and Fairfield/Wyndham/Cendant. But, then again she told me a lot that either she lied about or just simply had no idea about. She knew probably less than any other timeshare rep we've dealt with and that is saying something. :shrug:

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Funny, I just did an update at a Daily Vacation Resort in Palm Beach and the Owner Representative who they called in special just to meet with us even though she only deals with owners usually swore that there isn't and never was any relationship between RCI and Fairfield/Wyndham/Cendant. But, then again she told me a lot that either she lied about or just simply had no idea about. She knew probably less than any other timeshare rep we've dealt with and that is saying something. :shrug:

Here is the Wyndham Worldwide homepage. There is an RCI Group subsidiary link.
http://www.wyndhamworldwide.com/

Here is the Wiki on Wyndham.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyndham_Worldwide

Here is the Wiki on Cedent
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cendant

Former Cedent brands:
Budget Rent a Car
Avis
Budget Truck Rental

Amerihost Inn
Days Inn
Howard Johnson
Knights Inn
Ramada International
Super 8 Motels
Travelodge
Wingate Inn
Wyndham Hotels & Resorts
Baymont Inn & Suites
Global exchange development

Century 21 Real Estate
Coldwell Banker
Coldwell Banker Commercial
ERA Real Estate
Sotheby's International Realty
Corcoran
Citi-Habitats

Comp-U-Card
Shopper’s Advantage
AutoVantage
Traveler’s Advantage
Buyer’s Advantage
NetMarket

CheapTickets
TripRewards
HotelClub.com
AoYou.com
RatesToGo.com
Galileo CRS
Orbitz
ebookers
Lodging.com
Asia-hotels.com
Away.com
travelbag.co.uk
OctopusTravel.com
Travelport.com
Gta-travel.com (Gullivers Travel Associates)
Trust International

Fairfield Resorts
Trendwest Resorts

Resort Condominiums International
Cuendet
Landal GreenParks
French Life
Novasol

dukebigtom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is what the Wyndham statement for the stock market says:

Company Background
Wyndham Worldwide Corporation (Wyndham Worldwide), is a hospitality company. The Company offers individual consumers and business-to-business customers a suite of hospitality products and services across various accommodation alternatives and price ranges through its portfolio of brands. With more than 20 brands, which include Wyndham Hotels and Resorts, Ramada, Days Inn, Super 8, TripRewards, RCI, The Registry Collection, Endless Vacation Rentals, Landal GreenParks, English Country Cottages, Novasol, Wyndham Vacation Resorts and WorldMark by Wyndham. Wyndham Worldwide operates primarily in the lodging, vacation exchange and rentals, and vacation ownership segments of the hospitality industry. In July 2008, the Company completed the acquisition of U.S. Franchise Systems, Inc. and its Microtel Inns & Suites and Hawthorn Suites hotel brands from a subsidiary of Global Hyatt Corporation.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
They also own a company/division named NorthCourse which is a consulting firm that does, among other things, timeshare mystery shopping when hired by the timeshare company (developer) to shop their sales departments and marketing efforts.

pranas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grand Mayan

I didn't know that the Grand Mayan resorts were part of Wyndham until I saw an ad today in Sherman's new travel magazine. Is this old news also?

standrew17

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairway Forest Units 1210 Week 10 and Unit 1348 Week 42
Wyndham already owns RCI. They were originally both owned by the same company, Cendant, which bought RCI maybe 5 years ago. Cendant divided into several companies a couple years later. The Wyndham spin-off owns RCI.

A lot of long-time TUG members noticed a decline in customer service at RCI when Cendant bought them. But, whatever damage there is from Wyndham owning RCI has already been done.
I agree - RCI is saying their comuter model is requiring higher and higher points to trade into their resorts forcing deed owners to rethink points. Tell people to watch their new warranty Deeds and how they are written at Wyndam/Diamond owned resorts - don't let them write them so they look like floating weeks if they go to court.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Randall - you are replying to a question that was posted in 2008. When you use the search function, please check the date of the threads that you pull up, before you respond.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Randall - you are replying to a question that was posted in 2008. When you use the search function, please check the date of the threads that you pull up, before you respond.
Denise is there away to lock a thread say after 6 months from further posting?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
That question is above my pay grade, so I will defer to Brian on that.