• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2006] TSA Luggage Locks?

fnewman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI Platinum member: Diamond US Collection, Cypress Point I, Powhatan Plantation, San Luis Obispo.
wheaties said:
Has anyone used the new TSA-approved luggage locks? Are they worth using? Can they be used going out of the country (i.e. Mexico)? Our son had items stolen from his luggage and thought this may help. Any feedback's appreciated!

I'm not going to say it hasn't happened as you describe, but remember there are other people in the baggage handling process who have access to your luggage. The only time I have had items stolen from my luggage was when traveling to third-world countries; I would bet on someone other than TSA most of the time. Same problem -differnt culprits.

geoffb

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll add a vote for cable ties. The bright colors make it easier to identify our bags on the carousel and if TSA cuts them off they replace them with a plastic TSA seal.

JanB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
A bit more expensive than the generic electric style ties, but I purchase from www.Magellans.com and purchase the red numbered plastic locks. My thought is if TSA cuts it off they'll leave a note, but seeing a "number" on it might deter a thief to move on. They're about $7 for 20. I also use the yellow retriever/id tags in multiple languages that hold my itinerary in case luggage is lost. After having golf clubs lost for 4 days in Hawaii, I'm very careful about putting itineraries on both the outside and inside of all my checked luggage. I also put our name, home city and telephone number, but never our address.

mjs

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have hard suitcases with TSA locks built in to the suitcase. I have not had any problems so far.

voyager1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily TSA theft...

Although it is not impossible that a TSA inspector stole from the luggage, it gis far more likely that subsequent baggage handlers were responsible. TSA screeners undergo a very stringent background and security check and are also in very well monitored working areas. Conversely, no less than 6 other people handle each bag after it leaves the TSA area and few of them have had more than a cursory (if any) security check. Baggage theft was common before the TSA was formed and, sadly, will continue long after the TSA disappears.

The tip regarding not overfilling a suitcase is a very good idea. The turnaround time from arrival of your bag in a screening area to the departure of your bag is very brief and overflowing contents are more to fall out unnoticed.

The turnover rate for TSA screeners is quite high, due to a number of factors, but they should be properly trained in the handling of approved locks. As we all know incompetence can be found in most workplaces.

I don't work for the TSA, but I have several friends who do and have developed a better tolerance for checkin procedures after hearing their stories.

CharlesS

TUG Member
Reaction score
TSA Locks Revisited

wheaties said:
Has anyone used the new TSA-approved luggage locks? Are they worth using?

Earlier this year there did not appear to be a consensus on TSA Locks. In view of recent changes requiring more stuff to be placed in checked luggage, I am wondering if people are still of the same opinions or if anything has happended to make TSA locks more or less valuable.

Charles

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
The only input I will add it that I purchased TSA approved locks for about $10.00 a piece. The airlines (2 different ones), bent the heck out of them. The second one needed to be bent back with a pair of pliers. God only knows how sturdy that lock is now.

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
I always use tsa locks on my checked luggage. Once found a note inside that they opened my luggage, but the lock was secure. Seems most problems are with foreign travel.

davhu1

Reaction score
another vote for cable tie. had two locks cut by TSA on separate trips.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We ship electronic equipment for work now and again both as air freight and as checked baggaged and have had several TSA locks cut off. I've never been sure why, and our equipment so far has always arrived but it's pretty silly that we invest in a system that doesn't appear to be utilized.

model4tees

Reaction score
If you have costly things in your luggage and it is very important to you then make sure you have effective luggage security. Locks don’t work and can be tamper easily.
A point to note if you’re checking in luggage is that many of the travel accessories that are sold as luggage security items (locks, cable ties, security seals, etc) do not actually work to protect your luggage. You’d think for the money spent on these things it would take time to break into a bag, but it’s as simple as several seconds with a paperclip or even a pen. And people wonder why there is a problem with luggage theft.