• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2006 thread] WorldMark San Diego Announced

cotraveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
WorldMark announced a new resort in downtown San Diego today. According to the announcement they purchased an existing building from InterContinental Hotels Group that had been refurbished less than two years ago. That is allowing them to open it as a WorldMark resort with minimal remodeling. They will be taking reservations starting tomorrow with an opening date of June 23.

I see this as a good addition to the WorldMark family. You can read the announcement at http://www.worldmarktheclub.com/san_diego.shtml

PA-

TUG Member
Reaction score
Re: WorldMark San Diego Announced

ZOUNDS! 15,000 CREDITS FOR A 1 BEDROOM?

Is this the most expensive property in the Worldmark stable, or is there something higher? They just keep going up.

For us rich folks like me, Fred and Boca, no big deal. But what about Joe
6Kcredit owner?

I sincerely hope cendant makes enough profit on this one. Depoe Bay, at 10,000credits for a 2bedroom, just got more difficult to book after they finish selling all the credits generated by this resort.
Not to mention Hawaii, Tahoe, etc.

roadsister

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

BocaBum99 said:
Anyone taking bets on the size of the TOT? I'll bet that it is over $100 per week.

If there are other timeshares in San Diego that must pay a TOT I'm sure WM will have one also.

Last edited:

roadsister

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

PA- said:
ZOUNDS! 15,000 CREDITS FOR A 1 BEDROOM?

Is this the most expensive property in the Worldmark stable, or is there something higher? They just keep going up.

Phillip,
The trade off is you are in the heart of the City...I'm guessing Real Estate in San Diego is higher to be in the center of the action. Some owners have complained that WM was building resorts away from major cities/attractions. We can't have it both ways.

I was surprised to see a one bedroom that high but I'll put a good chunck of money down that you won't find an empty unit or bonus time very often there, it is where owners have wanted a resort for a long time....
All of California coast is prime area.

RichM

TUG Member
Reaction score

You can still exchange through RCI into a 1BR Gaslamp Plaza Suites for 9,000 credits (instead of 15,000), or 4,000 within 45 days (if available). No kitchen or laundry, but same downtown area and, when we were there last, free breakfast on the rooftop patio.

Amy

TUG Member
Reaction score

I'm stunned at the 12K points requirement for a studio (with max occupancy of 2) and the 15K points requirement for a 1BR.

RichM said:
You can still exchange through RCI into a 1BR Gaslamp Plaza Suites for 9,000 credits (instead of 15,000), or 4,000 within 45 days (if available). No kitchen or laundry, but same downtown area and, when we were there last, free breakfast on the rooftop patio.
The Gaslamp Plaza has a better location downtown, right in the heart of the trendy "happening" area of downtown SD and in an area where I would feel comfortable walking around late night. (I looked at a map of the new Worldmark SD location. I realize my memory of the area is a bit hazy, but I seem to recall it is a sort of seedier area of SD, right near a freeway ramp and not surrounded by nice shops and restaurants, etc.) Free daily breakfast still available at the Gaslamp and its tiny kitchenette still helps with light meals. Gaslamp also provides daily housekeeping for all stays. Frankly, those wanting to stay in downtown SD regularly could buy a 1BR or 2BR at Gaslamp for FAR less than the cost of buying the requisit number of points for a studio via Worldmark.

ZCar

Reaction score

Rich,
Since you have WM and are from here, look at the AAA So. CA book.
It's listed as Staybridge Suites Riviera-San Diego, a (3) Diamond, rates from (1p or 2p) at $169-229.

cotraveller

TUG Member
Reaction score

BocaBum99 said:
Anyone taking bets on the size of the TOT? I'll bet that it is over $100 per week.

The good news is that I'll bet that half of that TOT will get kicked back to Cendant. Maybe that will help support the price of the stock. Nothing else has, even RCI rentals.

I looked at the resort online and went through the reservation process up to the point of making payment. At that point all credit costs and cash costs for fees, taxes, etc. are shown. There was no TOT applied to the reservation. A housekeeping fee which I expected, but no TOT. The resort description and credit value tables do not show one either. Will that change? I don't know, I can't see into the future.

As for exchanges, it's like Orlando. Everyone says you can exchange into Orlando very easily or get Extra Vacations through RCI or II for cash fairly inexpensively. Even with that, the WorldMark Orlando resort is very popular and is usually booked to near capacity.

normalrog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anybody Stayed at Worldmark San Diego?

No reviews yet, any opinions on the property?

Thanks...

Roger

bigrick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the photos.

We're going there late in May this year. We've stayed at Gaslamp a few years ago. Then we stayed at Coronado which was really nice. So we'll see about the WorldMark.

We've never exchanged into WorldMark before. I expect we'll go to a presentation. I hope I don't buy another timeshare. :D