• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2006] Marriott Kauai Beach Club help

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused.. :confused:

I got a trade into Marriot KBC for Summer 06.

My confirmation shows 1bd, 1ba sleeps 4
It says one king bed, one sleeper sofa and mini kitchen.

I went to the website

http://www.vacationclub.com/resorts/ka/default.jsp

I looked at the floor plans. I do not see anything that is 1bd, 1ba that sleeps 4.

I called the resort and the person that answered asked if I had a reservation #.. There is one show on my confirmation. So he looked it up.. he got my name and said "It looks like you are confirmed in an Oceanfront lockoff unit. It only sleeps 2 "

So I started asking him about my II confirmation and he transferred me to the Marriott desk at II.
I asked them all the same questions and she said that Marriott KBC, wouldnt have any reservation in my name until 7 days prior, so the guy didnt know what he was talking about.

Then I asked the Marriott II Desk about the floor plans and she said they do have a 1bd, 1ba unit that sleep 4 privately.

Soo???
Who is correct?

Any Ideas, I dont want to show up with my kids and cram into a small lockoff unit.

How strict is KBC on occupancy. Do you think in a 4/4, we could have 5 if one is in a crib?

What are my chances of getting an oceanview or oceanfront?

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There are three separate 1BR floor plans at your link. The first one, the 1BR Deluxe Villa, is the studio, which sleeps two.

The other two plans, 1BR Ocean Front and 1BR Ocean View, show a separate living area. Note the dotted extension for the sofa, where it pulls out to sleep two. Thus, two in the king bed and two on the sleeper sofa. Also, notice the mini-kitchen adjacent to the round table in the living area.

The description on your confirmation describes perfectly the unit that sleeps four.

ZCar

Reaction score
Hi Dave(s),

This is for Ocean Front.
A full 1 bedroom is quite probably what you have. It consists of two hotel size rooms. IF locked out, the "Guest" side with the King bed is the exchangeable lockout.
The other, "Master" side, consists of the fold-out Queen sofa bed and is not exchangeable, at least through Interval.

Looking at our floor plan layouts in the Reference Book, Dave M's explanation appears pretty accurate.

CaliDave,
About 2-3 weeks before arrival, call, fax or e-mail the Front Desk and ask for a high-level floor, preferably 7th or above.
Nice, if you in fact get an Ocean Front. Your chances? Who knows? Being an exchanger, you're possibly at the low-end of the totem pole. Maybe mention that the kids would enjoy watching the cruise ships dock or leave.
In the latest newsletter, there is mention of trying to keep cruise ship passengers from using the Marriotts facilities, which are for Owners and Hotel guests only. (Bet the bar is open for all comers!). The beach is open to all as Hawaiian law does not allow private beaches.

Enjoy.

A crib might work in the sofa-bed side. Might be tight in the King Bed side.
And it IS a Mini-kitchen! Don't expect to cook a full blown dinner.
Works for us, but others like to cook in.

andypoole

TUG Member
Reaction score
we just stayed at KBC in a 1 bed Ocean front. It was like 2 hotel rooms with a connecting door. The one had a king bed the other a sofa which would open into a queen bed. This room had the table and chairs plus the small kitchen. Each room had a bathroom which was great for us.

We were just a couple but it was spacious and met our needs very well.

Enjoy your stay.

debraxh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would be confused too if your confirmation shows 1 BA, since the floor plans show 2BA for the 1BR units. In the reviews, only studio, 2BR and 1BR/2BA units are mentioned -- doesn't mean they don't exist, just curious.

Did you confirm with the resort that they have a 1BR/1BA sleep 4 configuration? I've seen other resort sites that don't show every floor plan available on their websites. If not, I would call II again -- maybe the confirmation is just wrong?

I would also ask the resort directly about occupancy limits/crib.

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help..

Debra, this is where I am confused.. My confirmation does shows 1bd/1ba and I see no such configuration.

ok, I just got off the phone with II, they assured me it would be a 1bd that sleeps 4. He said that most likely my unit will have 2ba, but they have a few full 1bd that only have 1ba. So that's why they put 1ba on the confirmation.
Made sense to me, if its true.

Do all of the full 1bd's have an oceanview. Since Marriott's site only lists the full 1bd as oceanfront or oceanview?

My first time to the KBC was last summer.. when I came in on the cruise ship and got kicked out of the pool after a few hours.

thanks again

ZCar

Reaction score
Debra,
Yes, KBC has 1 br., 2 bath Villas, just as Andy described.
The Reference Book does not provide Garden View floor plans. Haven't heard of a 1 br., 1 bath Villa, but maybe, if it exists, it's in the GV catagory. (or possibly are the Hotel price leader rooms?)

Wonder if wrist bands are used to identify guests? (vs cruise ship interlopers. They expect up to one cruise ship a day and that could be a problem). Did you notice the lounge chairs are kept on the grass area and off of the beach sand?

Dave,
If you get Ocean Front, floors 4 and up will be in the tall Kilohana Wing. fronting the walkway. Personally, we would not want floors 1-3 in the Wai'ale'ale' wing, although the 1st floor has immediate access from the Villa to the beach.
I believe most, but not all, all Ocean Views are down the side NouNou Wing), and Garden Views are way back behind the pool (Kahili Wing). Possibly some OV's are back behind the pool also, but are higher level floors. The other side is Hotel.
Andy's description is why we never lock off the 1 br. Great for 2 people who don't have need for a full kitchen.

Bee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kauai Beach Club 1 Br., 1 Ba.

I own a 2 Br., 2 Ba. lockout unit at Kauai Beach Club. The 1 Br., 1 Ba. is part of a 2 Br., 2 Ba. lockout unit. You will have the equivilant of 2 hotel rooms. You will enter into the living area with queen sofa bed, dining area, limited kitchen and lanai. The bedroom will have a king size bed, small refrigerator, table with two chairs and lanai. The bathroom has two entrances - through the bedroom and living room. Request a roll away if your kids are too big to share the sofa sleeper. If the matress on the sofa bed is not comfortable request a replacement.

Sandy

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bee said:
I own a 2 Br., 2 Ba. lockout unit at Kauai Beach Club. The 1 Br., 1 Ba. is part of a 2 Br., 2 Ba. lockout unit. You will have the equivilant of 2 hotel rooms. You will enter into the living area with queen sofa bed, dining area, limited kitchen and lanai. The bedroom will have a king size bed, small refrigerator, table with two chairs and lanai. The bathroom has two entrances - through the bedroom and living room. Request a roll away if your kids are too big to share the sofa sleeper. If the matress on the sofa bed is not comfortable request a replacement.

Sandy

Sandy,

Thanks so much for the info. Any idea if all the 1bd, 1ba units are oceanview or oceanfront?

ZCar

Reaction score
Bee,
Went back to the Reference Book and looked at 2 br., 2 bath Villas layout.
Never realized there was a 1 br. 1 bath lockout. Thanks for bringing it up.
We should have purchased a 2 br. OF ... but didn't.
We're quite pleased with the 1 br. OF though.

Bee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kauai Beach 1br. 1ba.

CaliDave,

I think all the 2 br. 2 ba. units are either ocean front or ocean view, but I am not positive. If I'm correct then that means the 1 br. 1 ba. units would only be ocean front or ocean view.

Sandy

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Whoops! Don't know how I got on this thread from 2006!

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Pssttt - Pam - this questions was asked in 2006! ;)