• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2006] Info needed: Olympic Village Inn

teachingmyown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A good friend is seriously considering purchasing a summer week (resale!) at Olympic Village Inn. His plan is to trade it through RCI for a winter Olympic Village week. He has found one for sale at what seems to be a reasonable price. The current owner says his lawyer will draw up the papers for no additional charge to my friend. I told him he needs to consider the mfees, the exchange fees and the RCI membership fees and that he should ask about any special assessments that might be looming in the near future. Plus, I suggested that the two of them put everything in writing and agree to all terms before exchanging money/deeds.

Does anyone have more information that should be considered? He absolutely has his heart set on skiing at Squaw Valley on a yearly basis and this looks like possibly his best bet to be able to do so.

The most recent review is nearly 5 years old. Hasn't anyone been there more recently? Doesn't anyone OWN there? Is there anything special about CA timeshares that he needs to consider? (Like for instance, in FL, the property taxes are billed separately from the mfees...does CA do that?) Does anyone know anything about the POA that is relevant? Would anyone be willing to make a ballpark estimate of what such a week should sell for?

Thanks!!!
tmo

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Re: Info needed: Olympic Village Inn

Tell your friend to check out ebay. These weeks come up a few times a month. I bought one a half year ago for only $400. ($800 total including closing costs.) They seem to sell as high as around $1500 for summer weeks on ebay. There is actually a summer unit on ebay right now.

There is a special assessment of $200 coming up, so more people may be considering selling (not a huge special assessment, but still, money out of the pocket.)

Taxes are billed separately at 1.25% of the resale price for all CA timeshares.

RCI often has a good amount of availability, so I would think trading back in would not be too difficult, especially if your friend set up an ongoing search far in advance.

Edye

madherb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Re: Info needed: Olympic Village Inn

Unless it is a points resort/unit I'm not sure that owning a summer week will give any better chance of trading into a winter unit at the home resort than if he owns anywhere. If this is right, he would be better in looking for a strong trader, depositting 2 years out and continually searching for the winter week.

judyturn

TUG Member
Reaction score
OVI weeks

I just noticed two winter weeks available for purchase. I would advise buying a winter week, instead of buying a summer one. Then you would be able to book your desired week directly with OVI and not have to pay the annual RCI membership or exchange fee.
Judy
[deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:

ibtfyt

Reaction score
I own seven winter Olympic Village Inn timeshares, with the very first acquired in 1993. We were there most of January and are returning in March. Tell your friend to wait for a winter week rather than trying to exchange through RCI. That would only add to the cost of his vacation.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Please note that this questions was asked in 2006. When you use the search function, please check the date of the posts you pull up.

Last edited: