• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2006 ] Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I think this may have been discussed on an earlier thread but I couldn't locate it in a search -

So, I am looking for suggestions to clean glass shower doors -

I've tried Widex, Greased Lightening, and a vinegar/water solution and old fashioned elbow grease - the doors look better than when I started the cleaning project but there is still some streaking and what appears to be faint soap sud staining.

I'm open for suggestions as to what else to try

Thanks

Richard

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I have a friend who owns a housecleaning business....

She uses Softscrub with bleach on showerdoors the first time she cleans a house to really clean them, with a coarse scrub pad, then she uses a mixture she makes from a book by that lady who is the "Queen of Clean," though I cannot remember the name of the book.

She actually mixes several different solutions that the lady recommends that are cheap and effective. The countertop cleaner has borax in it, along with some lemon juice. My friend said that book saved her so much money in cleaners, plus the cleaners are better.

I gave up on my twenty-year-old shower doors and had Rick install a pretty new set that I just clean with the above solution on a weekly basis. They sparkle all the time now. The other thing we had to do was buy a water softener at Sears because our water was hard and was causing all kinds of cleaning problems and was killing of hot water heaters every five years. We have had the new water heater for seven years now and it is doing great. Hard water is the worst cleaning problem, if you ask me.

Gadabout

Reaction score
MULTIZ321 said:
I think this may have been discussed on an earlier thread but I couldn't locate it in a search -

So, I am looking for suggestions to clean glass shower doors -

I've tried Widex, Greased Lightening, and a vinegar/water solution and old fashioned elbow grease - the doors look better than when I started the cleaning project but there is still some streaking and what appears to be faint soap sud staining.

I'm open for suggestions as to what else to try

Thanks

Richard

The staining you mention is most likely from hard water spotting, and it does need a bit more work. CLR might be a better option, in this case.

What is a good idea also, if you have straight glass doors (as opposed to corner or curved doors) is to put a spring-tension rod just inside the door, and hang a clear plastic shower curtain just inside the door. Every so often throw it in with the towels and clean pretty much just the bottom of the glass door at that time.

Minnie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I use a squeegee after each shower and wash the doors at least once a week with Clorox2 liquid with a non-scratch sponge pad. I think the trick is to keep it clean rather than let a lot of deposits build up over time.

andrea t

TUG Member
Reaction score
I second having everyone squeegee after their shower ( we keep a small one on a shower shelf). To clean it I use scrubbing bubbles and an abrasive sponge. The doors always look great.

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you can stand the smell for a few days, DW just cleaned some really hard-water stained glass shower doors with WD-40. Yes, really. She read it somewhere and gave it a try. Worked great.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
Minnie said:
I think the trick is to keep it clean rather than let a lot of deposits build up over time.

I use Tilex Fresh Shower spray to accomplish that on my shower. For some reason Jenny doesn't like to use it on hers.

We have very hard water, lots of minerals, plus the salt added from our water softener.

Gadabout

Reaction score
drmarna said:
I cant' imagine this will work without a hitch, but its an interesting concept.

http://www.automaticshowercleaner.com/home.asp

I've never been impressed with their regular product, so I can't see how this would work any better.

One more idea that works--get rid of any and all bar soaps, in the shower or tub. Use a liquid detergent or cheap clear shampoo instead. Much easier to clean. Even hand dish washing liquid works just great. The bar soap (even "detergent" bars) mixes with the skin oils and dirt, and creates the scum.

Clark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean
Barony Beach Club
Limeaway

Limeaway will do the trick. Great stuff, that's the job it was meant for.

karinepowel9

Reaction score
Use white vinegar for clean glass shower doors. Its a best way to clean glass shower doors. Mirrors are a great way to decorate.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Notice that this thread got resurrected from 8 years ago.

But still always an ongoing issue for some of us.

Richard

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
[2006] Cleaning Glass Shower Doors

Weird that such an old thread would be revived.

Anyway, we took out our glass shower doors and replaced with a curtain. It's cleaner and more attractive.

When I was a kid we had one break. Blood everywhere. Now I'm completely freaked out by glass shower doors. I don't feel they're safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since this thread has come back to life, here's my question:

We're about to remodel the bathroom, and we may go with a carrera marble countertop adjacent to a glassed-in shower.

So all acidic or gritty cleaners are going to be banned from the bathroom.

What then should we plan to use for the glass? I'm told coating it with Rainex (the windshield product) helps, but it still needs to be squeegeed. With what cleaning agent?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We simply squeegee our glass shower and tile walls and floor while we're in there. It only takes maybe 30-45 seconds. No chemicals at all. Just fresh water. The glass still looks new after 13 years. I think we got the silicone squeegee at Home Depot. Or here, on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Original-Sili...bs_auto_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=101QCT6VBA8E5PN97JA1 If you have really cruddy, mineral-laden water, occasionally sponge it down with CLR to hold down the lime buildup.

Jim

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Conan;1642643...we may go with a carrera marble countertop adjacent to a glassed-in shower.....[/QUOTE said:
Okay ... suggest you re-think the marble ...

To me, too many chemicals for marble are in the bathroom and usually, it is behind a close door. Perfume, mouth washes, breakfast juices, sodas, enegry drinks, hair gels, body lotions, etc...

I have a marble tables in the LR - NOTHING gets put on it. Antique and Victorian marble. White. And I know it will stay that way.

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have tried everything to resurrect our shower doors, but nothing seems to work. I even brought Kaboom home from Florida with me. I think the glass has been permanently etched or something. Because we need a three-panel door, due to the placement of the sink in our tiny basement bathroom, it would cost almost $600 to replace the door.

I think we'll just rip out the door, regrout to cover the holes and put up a nice shower curtain.

Dori

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I were building again, I'd design the walk-in shower with a somewhat private entry (I've seen curved ones) and no doors or curtains at all.

One thing that has always worked for me on hard water deposits on glass is a product like CLR, but it does take some work if build-up is there. Squeegies I guess would work, but getting everyone to take the time may be another story.

Since getting a good steam vapor cleaner, I've completely moved away from any kind of harsh cleaners. (Once set off the carbon monoxide detector by using a bleach product. :eek:) If we had had a steam cleaner when we first moved in, I wouldn't have had an issue with the glass shower door.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I use a squeegee after each shower......I think the trick is to keep it clean rather than let a lot of deposits build up over time.

I stay at a friend's house when I visit St Louis. He has a squeegee in his shower and asks that I use it before exiting shower. Works great.

George

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just spray on softscrub several times a week. I don't even have to wipe and the glass looks great.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see this is an 8 year old thread, resurrected by a (now deleted) spammer. I'll update. We have one floor-to-ceiling glass wall on our shower- tile everywhere else. No door. We still use a silicone squeegee(this http://www.amazon.com/Original-Wate...1-2-catcorr&keywords=silicone+shower+squeegee ) to wipe it down after use. It only takes maybe 30-40 seconds to cover all the surfaces. It's been 13 years, no chemicals, and it still looks like new.

Jim

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We squeegee every day but I still get hard water spots. Once a week or so, I use a wet dryer sheet to clean the glass and it works like a charm.

Don't forget to rinse afterwards (I think this should be obvious - but a co-worker failed to rinse the doors and then told me that my suggestion made her glass turn into a streaky mess:doh:).

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our tile guys told us to just use lemon juice (cut a lemon in half and rub it over the surface). Haven't tried this myself yet. Or, there are citrus-based cleaners out there. Apparently, the citrus juice dissolves hard water deposits.

I refuse to squeegee--takes too long in our shower.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Bed, Bath, and Beyond sells a number of different silicone shower squeegies.

GO TO THE STORE if you want to buy one of these (I wouldn't recommend purchasing online) because the silicone blades on some are not perfectly straight. Pick one that has a perfectly straight blade. To save time, you want the longest blade you can find (probably 12 inches). I think that we have this one:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...h-squeegee/1012979010?Keyword=shower+squeegie

Don't press too hard. The plastic handle will break.

Yes, it does take a few minutes to squeegie, and it gets cold in there on winter mornings if you're still wet. So I also have a little plug-in heater that I purchased on Amazon to keep the room a little warmer. I place the heater a short (but safe) distance from the shower. I think it's this one (but you will see plenty of others if you do a search on "heater"):

http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-755320-...ie=UTF8&qid=1417883260&sr=1-4&keywords=heater

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I wipe it down after every shower and clean every other week with vinegar and water and paper towels. Not perfect but good enough.