• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2 weeks in HH - one at Marriott Grande Ocean which other should we pick?

lmkucala

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I are going to be in Hilton Head the 1st 2 weeks of February. We already have Marriott Grande Ocean booked through II for the 1st week, and due to our inability to take planned trip to California in December, we are looking at an additional week in February at Hilton Head to use our other week. If you could choose another resort from these, which would you pick (and why)? We plan to spend time golfing, biking, walking/hiking, relaxing. We are in our mid-50's. Have been to Hilton Head once but it was about 15 years ago. We could also book another week at Grande Ocean but looking for some variety I guess. We're also spending the week prior at a Hilton in Myrtle Beach.

It looks like there is availability for us to exchange at:

Marriott Surfwatch
Marriott Harbor Point at Shelter Cove
Marriott Sunset Point at Shelter Cove
Marriott Monarch at Sea Pines
Marriott Harbor Club at Harbor Town
Waterside
Bluewater Resort & Marina
Marriott Barony Beach Club

Which would you pick and why?

Last edited:

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
I have been to all but blue water.
They are all great but different.
Surfwatch, Monarch, Barony have direct ocean access if you want that for your second week. Surfwatch has a salt marsh between the units and the ocean.
Harbour point and sunset point are by the shelter cove shops and on broad creek. We really enjoy watching the tide come in and out and watching the dolphins.
There are fun activities at all the Marriott resorts and we find the people who choose Sunset point and Harbour point to be particularly friendly.
Harbour club is right at Harbour town which is a fun place to go too. The resort is very small with few activities.

Pam

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
QUOTE="lmkucala, post: 2866492, member: 41029"
My husband and I are going to be in Hilton Head the 1st 2 weeks of February. We already have Marriott Grande Ocean booked through II for the 1st week, and due to our inability to take planned trip to California in December, we are looking at an additional week in February at Hilton Head to use our other week. If you could choose another resort from these, which would you pick (and why)? We plan to spend time golfing, biking, walking/hiking, relaxing. We are in our mid-50's. Have been to Hilton Head once but it was about 15 years ago. We could also book another week at Grande Ocean but looking for some variety I guess. We're also spending the week prior at a Hilton in Myrtle Beach.
Marriott Surfwatch
Waterside

/QUOTE
.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

As much as we love Grande Ocean, I agree with your desire for variety....I think you'd enjoy that.

Perhaps Barony because of the golf privileges (not as familiar with that lately, but have heard the courses in there are in mediocre shape, but at least there's free golf
at their community courses, except carts)....It is also located in Port Royal gated community, which has beautiful forested roads and sidewalks for walks and biking.
You may be assigned the Garden units as a trader-in, so you need to request an Oceanside unit and hope to get it....it's closer to the beach. Nice indoor pool.

If not for the walking/biking/golf, I would say Surfwatch is an excellent choice because it's definitely different (in a good way),
and the natural setting is quite nice, and preferred by many. The marsh area is unique. Walking is good in there but not so much for biking...there's a biking area,
but compared to the trails in Sea Pines, to which you'd not have access unless you rent them in there (what's the point? it's a pain), there's no comparison!
You might even get a 3BR------not exactly needed perhaps but you'd have a shot at it since it's during the lower owner occupancy time.
SW has THE best indoor pool there if that's important.

Monarch would be a NICE choice because it's an oceanfront resort, and it's an interesting garden setting which is beautiful,
and it's inside Sea Pines gated community, which is THE best place for enjoying superb biking trails. Smaller units, but not a real negative.
(Grande Ocean bike passes are given free because it's very near Sea Pines, but Barony and Surfwatch don't get those.)
Monarch of course automatically gets them because you're already inside Sea Pines. To get into Sea Pines as an outsider it's $10 per day for vehicles,
but no outside bikes can be ridden in or brought in, so you can make it doable by renting bikes in Sea Pines if staying outside.
That's why staying inside SP at Monarch is advantageous if you want to bike.
I think you'd enjoy Monarch---it was recently renovated.

If biking is your #1 activity, Monarch......then a distant second, Barony. If golf, maybe Barony is superior....?????
(call and ask about golf for each resort......Monarch might have privileges because of the course across the street).

Harbour Club, Harbour Point, and Sunset Pointe are all interesting and comfortable, with the latter two having nice inland waterway views,
BUT for an overall great resort experience, I would not advise staying at those, and frankly, in comparing them to GO and the others, they fall well short.

And forget Bluewater & Waterside.....very nice resorts in Summer, but you'll be underwhelmed and bored there in February.
Bluewater is very isolated and not amenable to enjoying the island, and Waterside is a few blocks from the beach and requires a walk or cart shuttle,
so basically you'll be slightly isolated, and the bike path access there is not good. Not the best for the activities you're wanting.
Harbour Club, Harbour Point, and Sunset Pointe are all interesting and comfortable, with the latter two having nice inland waterway views,
BUT for an overall great resort experience, I would not advise staying at those, and frankly, in comparing them to GO and the others, they fall well short.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

Marriott Surfwatch
Waterside

Second week for a difference feel of HHI..SurWatch or the Monarch..the Barony is near GO

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I would do Bluewater. Not because it is near the top of the list. But because it is February and one I want to check out sometime. It is on the opposite side of the island from what I want in summer.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
QUOTE="lmkucala, post: 2866492, member: 41029"
Marriott Surfwatch
Waterside

/QUOTE
.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

As much as we love Grande Ocean, I agree with your desire for variety....I think you'd enjoy that.

Perhaps Barony because of the golf privileges (not as familiar with that lately, but have heard the courses in there are in mediocre shape, but at least there's free golf
at their community courses, except carts)....It is also located in Port Royal gated community, which has beautiful forested roads and sidewalks for walks and biking.
You may be assigned the Garden units as a trader-in, so you need to request an Oceanside unit and hope to get it....it's closer to the beach. Nice indoor pool.

If not for the walking/biking/golf, I would say Surfwatch is an excellent choice because it's definitely different (in a good way),
and the natural setting is quite nice, and preferred by many. The marsh area is unique. Walking is good in there but not so much for biking...there's a biking area,
but compared to the trails in Sea Pines, to which you'd not have access unless you rent them in there (what's the point? it's a pain), there's no comparison!
You might even get a 3BR------not exactly needed perhaps but you'd have a shot at it since it's during the lower owner occupancy time.
SW has THE best indoor pool there if that's important.

Monarch would be a NICE choice because it's an oceanfront resort, and it's an interesting garden setting which is beautiful,
and it's inside Sea Pines gated community, which is THE best place for enjoying superb biking trails. Smaller units, but not a real negative.
(Grande Ocean bike passes are given free because it's very near Sea Pines, but Barony and Surfwatch don't get those.)
Monarch of course automatically gets them because you're already inside Sea Pines. To get into Sea Pines as an outsider it's $10 per day for vehicles,
but no outside bikes can be ridden in or brought in, so you can make it doable by renting bikes in Sea Pines if staying outside.
That's why staying inside SP at Monarch is advantageous if you want to bike.
I think you'd enjoy Monarch---it was recently renovated.

If biking is your #1 activity, Monarch......then a distant second, Barony. If golf, maybe Barony is superior....?????
(call and ask about golf for each resort......Monarch might have privileges because of the course across the street).

And forget Bluewater & Waterside.....very nice resorts in Summer, but you'll be underwhelmed and bored there in February.
Bluewater is very isolated and not amenable to enjoying the island, and Waterside is a few blocks from the beach and requires a walk or cart shuttle,
so basically you'll be slightly isolated, and the bike path access there is not good. Not the best for the activities you're wanting.

Excellent overview of the timeshare resorts you are interested in on onHHI.IMO.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
@ OP…..And after staying at “______” resort (whatever one you choose) , return to HHI again and again and try all of them. They all have their own charm. Altho for the OP and the stated activities I don’t recommend Harbour Point or Sunset Pointe this time, both of those resorts are a lot of fun, and we LOVE the inland waterway views (if you are lucky enough to get one). We’ve stayed there on occasion on short-notice spontaneous long weekend “rental” trips, and we will do that again I’m sure. These two resorts have been renovated within the last 2-3 years, and they’re very attractive and comfortable, and uniquely different. Bottom line, there are a lot of choices at HH based on whatever preferences a guest has. Many times a particular resort is not available because it’s sold out, so we decide to find something else rather than stay home. It’s all good!

lmkucala

TUG Member
Reaction score
@ OP…..And after staying at “______” resort (whatever one you choose) , return to HHI again and again and try all of them. They all have their own charm. Altho for the OP and the stated activities I don’t recommend Harbour Point or Sunset Pointe this time, both of those resorts are a lot of fun, and we LOVE the inland waterway views (if you are lucky enough to get one). We’ve stayed there on occasion on short-notice spontaneous long weekend “rental” trips, and we will do that again I’m sure. These two resorts have been renovated within the last 2-3 years, and they’re very attractive and comfortable, and uniquely different. Bottom line, there are a lot of choices at HH based on whatever preferences a guest has. Many times a particular resort is not available because it’s sold out, so we decide to find something else rather than stay home. It’s all good!

Thanks I am sure we will! This is the first year we are both semi-retired and looking for warmer climates to spend our winters, so I'm sure this won't be our last trip there, since we need a place to play golf in the winter now! We had planned 2 weeks in California in December as well but due to my father falling ill this month we are are having to cancel that, and now with the snow coming to Minnesota I'm sure by the end of January we will REALLY be looking forward to our 3 week trip to Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
OFF-SEASON or Wintering at Hilton Head???? It may surprise you..........

We stay at MGO for 2 weeks in January and 2 weeks in February, and we have come to love those weeks. Over the years we have become very close to approximately
23 couples who are there as snowbirds, wintering in Hilton Head from literally all northern states and a few midwest ones.
Most, but not all, play tennis, utilizing the free tennis clinics taught by the GO tennis pros on week days. (That activity is open to only those who stay at GO.)
The rest of the time many couples get together for various activities or simply do whatever they choose. We can also dine out as we choose, sometimes in small groups,
or even as two couples,
and we also have at least one or two larger get-togethers at a chosen restaurant.....but whatever we do, it's always fun.
We've thrown a big group party a few times in the Crows' Nest, with everyone bringing certain hors d'oeuvres or dessert items.
We also have some individual groups that enjoy going to a Happy Hour somewhere.
Occasionally it's a large group, but it can be a small get-together too. We also meet for card games at GO, or to watch sporting events......whatever.
Some couples stay at MGO from December to March, while others come and go at various times.
But after all is said and done, we're once again sad to depart for home until the NEXT year.
Anyone, of course, can join in, and I assure you that we are a congenial bunch whose common denominator is loving Hilton Head and MGO in particular.
Weather can be iffy, but many times the temps creep up into the 60s & even around 70,
which generates a lot of beach walking, biking, or other outdoor activities. Tennis and golf is always on the agenda. Last year we had a miniature golf tournament on site.
So come on down...you'll find that the "off-season" at Hilton Head isn't so OFF anymore at all. In fact, it's rather crowded and busy all over the island.

Last edited:

lmkucala

TUG Member
Reaction score

We stay at MGO for 2 weeks in January and 2 weeks in February, and we have come to love those weeks. Over the years we have become very close to approximately
23 couples who are there as snowbirds, wintering in Hilton Head from literally all northern states and a few midwest ones.
Most, but not all, play tennis, utilizing the free tennis clinics taught by the GO tennis pros on week days. (That activity is open to only those who stay at GO.)
The rest of the time many couples get together for various activities or simply do whatever they choose. We can also dine out as we choose, sometimes in small groups,
or even as two couples,
and we also have at least one or two larger get-togethers at a chosen restaurant.....but whatever we do, it's always fun.
We've thrown a big group party a few times in the Crows' Nest, with everyone bringing certain hors d'oeuvres or dessert items.
Occasionally it's a large group, but it can be a small get-together too. We also meet for card games at GO, or to watch sporting events......whatever.
Some couples stay at MGO from December to March, while others come and go at various times.
But after all is said and done, we're once again sad to depart for home until the NEXT year.
Anyone, of course, can join in, and I assure you that we are a congenial bunch whose common denominator is loving Hilton Head and MGO in particular.
Weather can be iffy, but many times the temps creep up into the 60s & even around 70,
which generates a lot of beach walking, biking, or other outdoor activities. Tennis and golf is always on the agenda. Last year we had a miniature golf tournament on site.
So come on down...you'll find that the "off-season" at Hilton Head isn't so OFF anymore at all. In fact, it's rather crowded and busy all over the island.

Sounds like blast! Maybe we will run into you and would love to join in on some of the fun!

Reactions: jme

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score

or even as two couples,
That was really a very nice post. IMO.
I did not know GO offer free tennis lessons?

This January, we are planning on staying two weeks In Myrtle Beach at MOW.

lmkucala

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shoot - it's too early in the morning and my brain is not operating right. I screwed up my E-Plus trades with Interval. Monarch was no longer available, and I was trying to be creative to switch my Grande Ocean week, thinking if I released a week with one trade it would show up for me to use on a different e-plus that expired earlier. I didn't think about the fact that someone could have had an ongoing search that it would have snatched it up first :(. So now we are not at Monarch or Grande Ocean. We will be at Barony the first week and then Surfwatch the 2nd week. Still very excited for our trip and perfectly happy with these choices since we have never been to either one, and we won't be in Minnesota for these cold and snowy winter weeks!

lmkucala

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also one more question for you South Carolina experts. We have one night to kill (need to book a hotel) between Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head since our weeks didn't quite match up. Suggestions on where to spend an extra day on the way? I'm thinking maybe stay a night in Beaufort?

Inhislove

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Catalina Beach Club
Charleston?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Shoot - it's too early in the morning and my brain is not operating right. I screwed up my E-Plus trades with Interval. Monarch was no longer available, and I was trying to be creative to switch my Grande Ocean week, thinking if I released a week with one trade it would show up for me to use on a different e-plus that expired earlier. I didn't think about the fact that someone could have had an ongoing search that it would have snatched it up first :(. So now we are not at Monarch or Grande Ocean. We will be at Barony the first week and then Surfwatch the 2nd week. Still very excited for our trip and perfectly happy with these choices since we have never been to either one, and we won't be in Minnesota for these cold and snowy winter weeks!

You can still keep checking and grab a GO or Monarch week if it happens to show up......it's not impossible.
Also check with Interval to see if anything can be done, or else just check daily and be persistent.
If not, it's not a total loss....Barony and SW are lovely then.

Bernie8245

TUG Member
Reaction score

or even as two couples,
We have been going to Grande Ocean for the month of January for the last 14 years. We have probably run into you at some of the activities. We have 4 weeks in January next year. Hope to see you there

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
We have been going to Grande Ocean for the month of January for the last 14 years. We have probably run into you at some of the activities. We have 4 weeks in January next year. Hope to see you there

sent you a private message