• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2 more newbie questions

arrosen

Reaction score
1. If I buy a resale, 81000 SO, EOY, I understand that the points have to be used in the use year, but what does "used" mean? In March of the use year, could I book a few days in that summer and then in October, use the remainder of my points to book a week the following summer? This would effectively let me use my EOY points to travel every year (even though every other year, it would just be a "mini-vacation").

2. How does II work with a resale? Do I still deposit through SVN? Who pays for my membership?

Thanks so much!!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
1. If I buy a resale, 81000 SO, EOY, I understand that the points have to be used in the use year, but what does "used" mean? In March of the use year, could I book a few days in that summer and then in October, use the remainder of my points to book a week the following summer? This would effectively let me use my EOY points to travel every year (even though every other year, it would just be a "mini-vacation").

It means the Staroptions (not points) have to be used by the end of the calendar year. So if you owned an odd year, you would have to use your 2009 Staroptions before Jan. 1, 2010. They do not carry over. (Resales never come with points - even if they are mandatory.)

2. How does II work with a resale? Do I still deposit through SVN? Who pays for my membership?

Thanks so much!!

With a resale from a mandatory resort, depositing with II works exactly as if you had bought from the developer. You have to call owner services and ask them to deposit a week for you. With SVN mandatory TS's, Starwood reserves the right to choose the week deposited. With a mandatory TS, your II membership is included in your yearly MF. For more info., see the article in Owner Resources under "Exchanging."

Also - see the Starwood FAQ at the top of the page of a good overview of how Starwood works.

Last edited:

arrosen

Reaction score
Yes, but does "use the Star Options" mean that travel must be completed by the end of the year, or I have to make a reservation by the end of the year?

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
You have to travel during that year -- use it or lose it. So if you have 81,000 options, you have to use all 81,000 during that calendar year or they are forfeited. You can't carry forward EOY options to the next calendar year.

Most people (on TUG, at least) reserve their vacations 8-12 months in advance so we are in the middle of reserving our 2009 vacations right now using our 2009 options.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
With an EOY ownership, you can't use your Staroptions during the off-year at all. For instance, if you own an EOY odd week, you cannot borrow your Staroptions from 2009 and use them during 2008. All Staroptions have to be used during the calendar use year.

If you can't use your week one year, you can deposit it with an exchange company, rent it, or let friends or family use it.

arrosen

Reaction score
Thanks...I understand.

If you exchange into II, how long do you have to use an exchanged week?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You have 2 years to use your exchange. Here is a link to the article about Starwood & II - take a look at it and then let us know what questions you still have.

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
arrosen, in reading your op, you indicated that you might want to book a partial week in March for the summer. Are you aware that when booking partial weeks that it can only be done within 90 days? In your scenario, you would have to wait until the end of March to be able to book up to the end of June. I strongly suggest that you read the faqs posted in this forum to determine if Starwood is a good fit for you.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Exactly. I wish that we could book partial weeks all year but with the system the way it is set up, you really can't. The 90 day restriction means you won't be able to find good weekend add ons during heavy use times of the year (Summer for most resorts, Spring for desert or ski resorts).

Also, you will only get StarOptions (your example of 81,000) if it is a MANDATORY resort if you buy it resale. Voluntary resorts gat NO SOs ever so all you could do with the voluntary resorts is 1) use your full week EOY during the float period that you buy 2) deposit the full week in II for a 2 year chance to trade someplace else. If it is a 2BR LO, you can deposit each side of the unit in II separately. Then since you have 2 years to complete your travel, you can get vacations EY out of an EOY purchase. But that is through II only, not Starwood. :)

Hope that's not all too confusing. Katherine

arrosen

Reaction score
I've done lots of reading...please let me know if I understand things correctly.

If I buy a 2br LO EOY at WKV, Gold season resale, I get 81000 SO. I can use my SO points to book a small 1br villa at WKV or SDO or WMH in the summer and then deposit the 1br side in II to trade the following year. Since it is Gold, I won't have great trading power, but I should get decent trades.

If I waited until I found a platinum week at WKV, it would be better because the week I deposit in II would trade better. But in any case, I would be able to travel every year with an EOY TS using this strategy,

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I can't speak for the II exchange - but you will get more bang for your buck (MF-wise) if you buy Plat instead of Gold - since the MFs are based on unit size and not season. Of course - the downside is that they are more expensive, but you get more SOs to use.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I buy a 2br LO EOY at WKV, Gold season resale, I get 81000 SO. I can use my SO points to book a small 1br villa at WKV or SDO or WMH in the summer and then deposit the 1br side in II to trade the following year.

Actually with 81,000 SOs, you'd get a large 2BR villa at SDO or WMH in the Summer OR a larger 1BR villa during the peak season. There is a very handy SO chart in the resources above this board where you can see how many SOs it would take to trade in places.

Katherine