• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2 interesting things in latest Travel & Leisure

Kagehitokiri

Reaction score
Tides South Beach condohotel owners will receive 70% of rental income.
(Usually 40-50% from what I've seen)

Fairfax South Beach 1/4 fractions start at $250K.

Seems like fairly aggressive marketing to me, wonder if there might be more properties, even if just in the South Beach market, following suit.

The RC SOBE's new condohotel pricing I mentioned in the potential HCC destinations thread seems just as good.

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tides South Beach condohotel owners will receive 70% of rental income.
(Usually 40-50% from what I've seen)

Fairfax South Beach 1/4 fractions start at $250K.

Seems like fairly aggressive marketing to me, wonder if there might be more properties, even if just in the South Beach market, following suit.

The RC SOBE's new condohotel pricing I mentioned in the potential HCC destinations thread seems just as good.

Fairly aggressive pricing for now; will probably go lower as the market continues to implode.

The Tides property has some troubles and may not be a good purchase. It's the typical "Landmark" property that has a horrible reputation and reviews and is considered way overpriced by travelers in the know. It's time as a place "to be seen" is over. It's also an art-deco building that requires a phenomenal amount of maintenance. However, the location is one of the best in SoBe!

S

Steamboat Bill

I stayed at the Tides way back in 2002 and it was awesome, but minimalistic. I am sure the buy-it-now prices are still outrageous, but the 70% revenue is the highest I have ever seen for a hotel-condo. Finally someone is breaking the 50% barrier.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
While I've never seen a condo-hotel payout as low as 40%, apparently Trump Fort Lauderdale (next to Atlantic) is 70% too...and they managed to get the city fathers to permit their owners to stay all year if they chose to do so...reversing the decision they put in to limit Condo-Hotel owners to something like 21 days a year so they would bring in lots of tourists.

Trump apparently said he wouldn't build otherwise and they caved in wanting The Donald in Lauderdale. Don't know whether the change was passed on to those who purchased condo-hotels in Hilton and W. Starwood Atlantic was the first and the restrictions were put in after.

Brian

Last edited:

Kagehitokiri

Reaction score
ive never seen a condohotel limit as low as 21 days.. cant imagine it would be very smart.

interesting trump is going that high.

there are a number ive seen at 40% IIRC, also banyan tree residences for example offer 6% guaranteed/fixed for a couple years, or 30% of rental - in their case theyre all limited to 60 days.

Last edited:

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
The JW Marriott going in 2 hours north of Toronto is up to 55% depending on the amount of time you put into the rental loop. If owners take the full 9 weeks a year allowance at this one, the percent is lower. This is an interesting situation too, however as it is a rental pool for owners -- you don't just make rental income if your own suite rents, you make it on the total rental pool even if your suite isn't rented. The buy in for a studio is $308k Cdn. It opens next year.

Brian

www.redleavesmuskoka.com

Larry

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I stayed at the Tides way back in 2002 and it was awesome, but minimalistic. I am sure the buy-it-now prices are still outrageous, but the 70% revenue is the highest I have ever seen for a hotel-condo. Finally someone is breaking the 50% barrier.

OK for now but what's to stop them from changing the formula once they are sold out and going to 50-50% split like other condo hotels???? Sorry but I just don't trust developers and their marketing schemes when they are having trouble selling.

Last edited:

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
update on condo hotels?

bump to thread --

I searched forum and this was only condo-hotel thread? -so I thought I would show this link .... from Sherpa report on unhappy ( and now law suits flying ) owners

http://www.sherpareport.com/prc/condo-hotel-owners-uproar.html

They site three papers = the Palm Beach, Las Vegas & Wall Street Journal (links in Sherpa ) ... the last paragraph in the WSJ cites a multiple unit owner as saying his value is 40% of original for one property ...

Have we seen enough price decline in re-sales to smell like a good value yet?

Has anyone seen a good way to search MLS or ??? for just condo-hotels?? Or Fractionals for that matter?

Regards

Greg

vivalour

TUG Member
Reaction score
bump to thread --

I searched forum and this was only condo-hotel thread? -so I thought I would show this link .... from Sherpa report on unhappy ( and now law suits flying ) owners

http://www.sherpareport.com/prc/condo-hotel-owners-uproar.html

They site three papers = the Palm Beach, Las Vegas & Wall Street Journal (links in Sherpa ) ... the last paragraph in the WSJ cites a multiple unit owner as saying his value is 40% of original for one property ...

Have we seen enough price decline in re-sales to smell like a good value yet?

Has anyone seen a good way to search MLS or ??? for just condo-hotels?? Or Fractionals for that matter?

Regards

Greg

You could google "fractionals for sale". I did come across one site of listings, in Mexico mainly, but did not bookmark it.

What do you consider a "good value"? Is this for your own use as a vacation property -- or are you looking for an investment?

I have done some superficial research and come to the conclusion that the only "safe" buys in fractionals and condo/hotels that have some hope of holding value are five-star luxury developments by brands like Ritz and Four Seasons -- in top destinations like New York, for instance -- which have a steady, well-heeled clientele. Then you are talking very major $$ for both purchase and annual fees.

As well, there's is no guarantee of rental income and/or "profit". As the WSJ article points out, markets like Vegas and Florida have been overbuilt and are glutted with condo/hotels. So the purchasers are now crying foul because they fell for the developer's sales pitch.

Maybe there are distress sales by owners, but I couldn't find any organized listing service as such (maybe a good business idea, though).

Last edited:

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned