• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

1st TS purchase Seapointe in Carlsbad VS. Welk in Escondido

love2vaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Thank for creating and constantly updating tug, it's such an awesome resource.

I'm currently researching my 1st timeshare purchase. I'm getting married soon and think a timeshare would be far better value then just a one time honeymoon.

I'm currently looking at the Sea Pointe in Carlsbad, just across from the state beach or the Lawrence welk in Escondido.

We live in San Diego and it would be easy to go to either resort for a getaway when we don’t feel like flying somewhere.

We do want to trade sometimes, especially the 1st year for our honeymoon. We want to go somewhere tropical like Mexico or Caribbean.

The Welk has higher ratings 9.21 and is in the top 30 on tug as well as being traded in both II and RCI. It is in Fixed week, looking at purchasing week in early march, would rather early sep. but too expensive. Plus it is a 2 bedroom unit. The resort seem top notch but secluded, I would rather have less bells and whistles and be closer to town/beach.

Sea Pointe is closer to the beach, directly across. Not as nice, but I think we would enjoy being by the water. It is only 1bedroom and scores 7.93 in ratings. It is only traded on the RCI, the weeks are floating. I like that flexibility.

MF is pretty much equal.

So what do you think would be a better purchase?
Should I go with the Welk, I think has more trading power or seapointe which is a better location for us.

Also do you think that a trade for either would be possible for tropical getaway trade in late may 2009.

Thank you so much for Input.

Ddee555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn; San Clemente Cove, Coronado Beach Resort; Gaslamp Plaza Suites; Royal Aloha Vacation Club (RAVC)
Hello :)

Hi love2vaca,

Nice to see you on the boards. :D I sent you a PM (email), so be sure to look for it.

Yes, the Lawrence Welks Resort in Escondido is very nice, but given the choice, if I could get a 2 bedroom at the Carlsbad Seapointe, I would do it. Carlsbad is a great area and being right near the ocean is great.

(But, only if I could get a 2 bedroom--the price has to be good!).

Being that the resort is managed by Grand Pacific Resorts, you wouldn't have the 1-in-4 rule with RCI, so you could trade for other GPR resorts every year, which are all very nice, and I just think Seapointe would be a better trader, given your timeframe, which is not summer season.

Also, with GPR, you would have access to their internal exchange system, "GPX," which has some very nice resorts affiliated with it, so you wouldn't even need to use RCI.

Some more experienced tuggers might say differently, but that's just my opinion. Hope it works out for you. Take care. :)

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Welk and recently did the points upgrade, but even now, I would rather own at the beach. Welk is a great resort, but it is an easy trade because it is so large.
Liz

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Wow, that is a tough choice! We own a 1BR fixed summer week (odd years) at Grand Pacific Palisades (a "sister" property to Seapointe through Grand Pacific Resorts) and have been very happy with our ownership. Our GPP week has traded very well through RCI into larger units and better weeks.

Random Thoughts ...
  • Consider owning a fixed summer week vs floating if your primary plan is exchanging. The fixed week can be deposited 2 years in advance; summer weeks will be stronger traders than off-season weeks.
  • Both Seapointe and Welk allow day-use ... which resort do you prefer? Which is easier to drive to?
  • I think Seapointe exchanges through both RCI Points and Weeks -- but not sure.
  • Seapointe resales are generally far less expensive than Welk.
  • If it were me ... I'd look for an every-other-year (EOY) at Seapointe then also buy a Worldmark membership for variety, flexibility, bonus time, etc. (Of course, I did this in reverse order ... started with Worldmark then added the EOY at Grand Pacific Palisades. Great combo ...)
  • Owning Seapointe will give you a free "owner-level" membership in ResorTime for cash rentals across many resort properties. It is a nice benefit -- but the rates are much higher than Worldmark's Bonus Time. (Thus, better to own both ....)
  • As mentioned by earlier poster, owning Seapointe will allow you to defeat the "1 in 4" trade restriction blocking the entire Grand Pacific Resort family.
Both are great properties ... best wishes in your decision!

funtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Carlsbad Seapointe allows day use

I believe that the Seapointe allows day use. I own a one bedroom and although it is small it is a great location. It is a summer week and for the last several years I have rented it out for 1100 to 1200 so once you pay for a summer week it is no bother -- either use it or rent it. However, maintenance fees are pretty high to use it as a trader. All in all, I think you would get more enjoyment out of the Seapointe including other internal trades through Grand Pacific and day use.
I traded a orlando timeshare that I bought for 100 for a week in September at Villas on the Green so it is pretty easy to get there for a trade. Good luck! Funtime

lprstn

TUG Member
Reaction score
My vote Seapointe

I stayed at LW and I must say it wasn't my first choice. We loved Carlsbad and you can't beat being at the beach.

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since you live in San Diego you must know March at Seapointe on the beach is not the greatest weather. We own Week 39 at Seapointe's sister resort, Carlsbad Inn -- have owned there 20+ years -- and eventually moved to Carlsbad :). Summer at Lawrence Welk's is pretty toasty!!

My vote is Seapointe though for all the reasons stated in previous posts.

Last edited:

love2vaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone!!!

Thank you all for your input and being so helpful,.....the forum is awesome :)
I 'm gonna a go with my original instinct, until the ratings swayed me. the Seapointe.

However I was under the impression that if the resort was already on the points system then I would not have to convert.....wrong, it'll cost $3,000.

So now I'm wondering Seapointe or buy converted RCI points TS. I'm gonna post this Queston in buying forum.

thanks again for all the helpful info!!!!!!!

funtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your not buying retail are you?

I suggest you look on sites such as Redweek.com or bidshares.com or myresortnetwork.com for sales for timeshares rather than buying retail. Funtime