• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

1st TS Just purchased FF, now planning Honeymoon...

love2vaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I really want to say thanks to all who post and make this possible, this forum is awesome!!!

I just purchased my 1st TS resale from holidaygroup..It's a fairflied points account with 182k per year MF/taxes run $675 a year. I'm hoping I made a smart purchase and super excited to have enter into the world of timesharing.http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/images/smilies/cheer

Now I'm planning our 1st trip, which is also our honeymoon. Originally we wanted to stay at Eslyian beach resort, but its booked when we really woulds like to go may 2009. They do have availability at Bluebeards Castle however it does not look or rate as well.... so here is the question should we book it on a GC and just go, as it's guaranteed or wait until the transfer and closing is finished and do a trade in the RCI, possibly for more or less points to anywhere else nice in the Caribbean May 2009.

Do you think that their will be very much avail inventory May 2009 for the Caribbean nicer then Bluebeards in the RCI when are closing should be done in March 2009.

I realize its a toss up, hard to tell. I'm would like to hear others opinions who have had experience with RCI trades and how big a risk I'd might be taking...

Thanks in advance for any and all advice http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/images/smilies/hi.gif

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My $0.02 worth...

so here is the question should we book it on a GC and just go, as it's guaranteed or wait until the transfer and closing is finished and do a trade in the RCI, possibly for more or less points to anywhere else nice in the Caribbean May 2009.

Do you think that their will be very much avail inventory May 2009 for the Caribbean nicer then Bluebeards in the RCI when are closing should be done in March 2009.

I realize its a toss up, hard to tell. I'm would like to hear others opinions who have had experience with RCI trades and how big a risk I'd might be taking...

I am not personally familiar with the resorts you have cited. Acknowledging that fact right up front however, I still don't think it's any "toss up" at all.
I don't hesitate for one second to weigh in against betting on any prospect of RCI coming through for you, particularly with such a very short time frame. It just ain't goinna happen, in my personal opinion.

Without restarting a discussion of Murillo vs. RCI (the ongoing class action lawsuit against RCI regarding their practices), suffice it to say RCI has an alleged habit of renting out many of the best deposits directly to the general public, thereby making those prime deposits unavailable at all as exchanges to RCI members. As astutely observed by someone in recent days, in some press releases RCI has even described itself as a "rental and exchange company" (take note of the word rental being listed first...).

In short summary, I recommend pursuing the course of action which least relies upon RCI coming through for you. I'd go with the known, guaranteed "bird in hand", without any hesitation at all. Just my personal opinion....

Last edited:

Fitzriley

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Wyndham
I also agree that 2 months out is taking a big risk. This is your honeymoon, you need to have something solid booked. I do not know these resorts, so I can't add anything there.

geekette

Reaction score
Here's your other option - rent something to your liking.

For trading, I agree with the others that the risk is not worth 'something better.' I would not trust RCI for this, because it is simply Too Important!

Even now, the timeframe is short. That it is May you are seeking does help, because it is still considered "off season" in many instances.

Do your homework on Bluebeards - it could be fabulous and maybe the ratings you are seeing are from folks that don't think it is The Most Fabulous. I don't know where you are on the "quality is king" spectrum, so also hard to be very helpful.

Do keep in mind that Gold Crown is an RCI designation and may or may not have anything to do with how luxurious the resort is - could just be that they offer a ton of amenities while the rooms themselves are standard quality. Do not rely solely on RCI ratings, nor those of fellow travellers - take it all into account and try to figure out how your priorities for this trip stack up against what reviews say.

Check out redweek.com, timeshareforums.com, even ebay, to see if where you want to go is offered at the right time and right price.

good luck, and congrats both on your purchase, and your upcoming nuptials!

Don40

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
First congratulations on two accounts. IMHO I would take the bird in the hand as your Honeymoon is important and you don't want to miss out on a sure thing.

Second suggestion is to get on the WYN website, or be diligent on the phone and call WYN to see if anyone cancels, if so you cancel Bluebeard and go for your first choice.

Third suggestion enjoy your spouse and make the best of your Honeymoon no matter which resort. Enjoy each other, have fun and :banana: :banana: "who cares which resort really" :banana: :banana: you are now married. :banana: This is prefaced with IMHO, being married for decades now.

Don

shmoore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you considered Hawii? There is a lot of availability for May 2009. Be sure and join the Wyndham Owners website. Those guys can really help you use your points. I have booked 2b Gold Crown in Hawaii for 42k through RCI with their help. Break those points up, you will be amazed at what you can find.

Sandy

jdb0822

Reaction score
Please have holiday book you on a GC, the sooner the better. You Wyndham purchase may not be complete until May or June 2009.

Maryland_jim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Been asking Holiday to deposit two generic 70k weeks

I bought via Holiday Group at the end of August. I have been told to expect title work to take about 10 weeks from mid September which optimistically puts me at December 1st. On Oct 3rd I requested Holiday to arrange to deposit two generic weeks into the existing account and then transfer to my RCI account once set up.
To date I have been told to wait to hear from xyz at Holiday. My sales person tells me she will get back to me. Now over a month later - my concern is that my RCI account might not get opened by year end - given the holiday season etc. Am I right to be concerned or should I be patient for another month? Secondly, I am concerned that if the honeymooner is depending on Holiday to get the Guest certificate - be wary....
Jimbo

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Someday it may be OK - not in May 2009

Unfortunately Bluebeards is a resort that has been in decline for nearly a decade as various factions/owners/developers/Boards fought. It has been settled now but the resort will take years to recover - and millions of dollars - if it ever does. Right now accepting it as a honeymoon resort is far too risky IMO. The area is great but the resort is in rough shape from everything I've heard.

love2vaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks you all for your words of wisdom, sorry for the super delayed response.

I ended up booking at eylsian beach resort in july. Originally we were going to postpone are honeymoon to a couple months after we got married but now, we actually had to cancel the big wedding ( due to circumstances beyond are control) so we are just going to elope on the beach in St Thomas while we are there.

:) so all of your help in my deciding, it helped in away bigger then expected. I now getting married on a romantic getaway on a caribbean island and saving tons of money$$$....THANKS!!!!

suzyabbott

Reaction score
Elysian vs. bluebeards

You'll be MUCH happier at elysian. we go to the islands twice a year and have toured all the timeshare options there, the castle is nice...provided you have a car and don't want to be on the beach. Elysian is nice, there's a ton of units though, mentioning at check in that you're on your honeymoon can't hurt as far as getting a 'water view' unit.

I myself just bought tonight a unit at bluebeards beach club which is also really nice.

Stay far far away from magens point. Nice to have lunch at indigo's but not so much to stay!

Have a great time on your honeymoon and be sure to hit iggy's on the beach for some drinks, thats our fave place to hang :)