• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

$1M in California Won't Last Long (KTVU SF)

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
lol. If only Bogle had started the Vanguard 500 index fund by then, and I had the wisdom to invest in it! I was greedy and rode the tech bubble all the way up, and then all the way down. The lesson learned was very painful!

If the S&P was a person, it would be deep into retirement age. So that was always an option.

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
both Cap Gains and Property Taxes need to be taken into consideration of the BIG picture.
In the big pic, many people don't want to buy another house in CA. The other single person in 3200 sqft house that recently sold near me moved to TX.
(You want to sell a house on the CA coast and end up with a big chunk of change in your pocket? Don't buy another house in CA. In the big pic, the prop tax Prop is more of a gimmick to keep people from moving out of state after they have paid the huge Cap Gain tax bill. Size the Cap Gain taxes vs the NPV of the prop tax savings for us.)
There is another single person in 3000+ sqft house talkign about moving to Palm Springs, so that may be in effect for her

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
lol. If only Bogle had started the Vanguard 500 index fund by then, and I had the wisdom to invest in it! I was greedy and rode the tech bubble all the way up, and then all the way down. The lesson learned was very painful!
If only I'd invested more in the Vanguard 500 when I bought into it in the late 80's

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
There's a dandy example directly adjacent to my mother in law's HOA community. Her community is 20 years old, and basically looks the same today as when she moved in.

The next community on the same street was built by the same developer using the same floor plans. The only difference between the two is no HOA. That community looks like a bomb went off at a Toys 'R' Us and they dropped all the debris onto this neighborhood with a Sikorsky Sky Crane. The difference in price between identical houses in the two neighborhoods approaches six figures.

I'm glad she lives in an HOA. It is MUCH nicer. She shouldn't be in that house at all -- she only uses 10% of it. And she doesn't like Hawaii so our offer to simply build her a place was refused. This is typical for her cohort -- living in a place way too big with big annual bills and refusing to move because "it's mine."

Carlin was right all along.
Speaking of HOA's:

Woman takes revenge against TWO housing associations she claims are trying to take control of her property​

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
Speaking of HOA's:

Woman takes revenge against TWO housing associations she claims are trying to take control of her property​

Why I won't live in an HOA.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Why I won't live in an HOA.
After experiencing both first hand, I'll never live in a place without an HOA. No HOA is great until you get that neighbor who has a car up on blocks in the front yard, trash all over the place, unkept landscaping, peeling paint all over the place, etc. That was my situation, and there was absolutely nothing the neighbors could do to make them clean up the place. Never again.

I have very little sympathy for these people crying foal because their HOA is actually enforcing the covenants. Every buyer had full access to read and understand those convenances before they bought -- most are just lazy and think they can do anything and that's when they get in trouble w/ the HOA.

Kurt

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
After experiencing both first hand, I'll never live in a place without an HOA. No HOA is great until you get that neighbor who has a car up on blocks in the front yard, trash all over the place, unkept landscaping, peeling paint all over the place, etc. That was my situation, and there was absolutely nothing the neighbors could do to make them clean up the place. Never again.

I have very little sympathy for these people crying foal because their HOA is actually enforcing the covenants. Every buyer had full access to read and understand those convenances before they bought -- most are just lazy and think they can do anything and that's when they get in trouble w/ the HOA.

Kurt
This might be because I live out in the boonies and don't look at my neighbors property, and would like them to not look at mine. We might also have some stuff in disrepair so maybe we'd be that neighbor.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza

Kurt
Totally agree. After 8 years, we moved from a non-HOA community on 5 acres into one with an HOA on 3.5 acres. HOA's are a pain at times when you need permission from the HOA for major landscaping and property changes/improvements but it is preferred to the fighting rooster tents and rusting vehicles. I don't mind that I cannot paint my house fluorescent yellow with a purple roof.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The woman in the Daily Mail article lives on a strip of land between two separate neighborhoods with HOA's. After she parked her RV on the yard for repairs, the neighbors complained to their HOA's and the county to enforce their HOA rules. With over 2.2MILLION views on TikTok, she's enjoying the attention she's getting with her RV, 13 chickens and rooster, pink flamingos and beer can yard ornaments, etc. Lesson is if you want to live in a neighborhood with HOA restrictions, you should check to make sure where the boundaries of the neighborhood are.