• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

10 things you shouldn’t do when visiting Hawaii

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Anyone that's visited Hawaii multiple times should know these things, but the one I didn't know about was that building a bonfire on the beach is illegal on most beaches. Fortunately, I never tried it.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I knew all of those. Most especially the last one. I have found even the most intractable Hawaiians respond to respectful treatment, and a legitimate desire to learn about their cultural heritage. They have been dealt a raw hand historically, and deserve to be treated with respect.

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We knew all 10 and we have honored all 10. We usually do a little research before we visit a new area. When we were in Fiji we went on a tour and the final event was visiting the Hindu Temple Sri Siva Subramaniya. The largest Hindu Temple in the Pacific. We knew modest dress was required. I wore slacks and a long sleeve shirt for the day. Patti wore and over ankle skirt and a long sleeve blouse. We were the only tourist not required to put on additional clothing they loaned you to enter the Temple. We also tend to dress conservatively in Mexico when not pool side.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
#6 Take a lava rock, your plane home will crash. Classic!

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I knew all of those. Most especially the last one. I have found even the most intractable Hawaiians respond to respectful treatment, and a legitimate desire to learn about their cultural heritage. They have been dealt a raw hand historically, and deserve to be treated with respect.

Dave

I agree with you 100%. I have two more things to add.

Many tourists call the locals living in Hawaii, Hawaiians. Many of the locals don't really like being called Hawaiians because they aren't but they know what we mean and usually smile.

Ordering a pizza with ham and pineapple is a Hawaiian pizza on the mainland only. In Hawaii it's called a ham and pineapple pizza. Again, the locals know what we mean and usually smile.

https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/so-whats-the-deal-with-hawaiian-pizza/

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ordering a pizza with ham and pineapple is a Hawaiian pizza on the mainland only. In Hawaii it's called a ham and pineapple pizza. Again, the locals know what we mean and usually smile.
Any list of the best pizza places in the country usually includes 3 from New Haven: Modern Apizza, Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana, and Sally's Apizza. None of them even show pineapple on the menu. My brother, a resident of New Haven, is appalled that anyone would even think of putting canned pineapple on a pizza. I have tried pizzas with pineapple before, and the pineapple usually makes the pizza too soggy.

BTW, I have tried pizzas in New Haven, and they are awesome. Modern's spinach and garlic pizza was the best pizza we've ever tried. We ordered a spinach and garlic pizza shortly after we came back to MN, and they put canned spinach and garlic chips on it, making it the worst pizza we had ever tried. It was a long time after that before we tried any MN pizza.

HGVC Lover

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo and HGVC Paradise

I did not get the sense the plane would crash but maybe other bad luck could make your flight/s or trip home unusual or frustrating.

It is illegal to remove rocks and sand from Hawaii but tourists do it continually. The HI Post Offices also receive a steady stream of visitors returning rock and sand with letters stating how bad luck followed their family after taking part of HI home. The Pele Curse could be real!!!

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story...sand-being-mailed-back-to-hawaii-by-tourists/

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Many tourists call the locals living in Hawaii, Hawaiians. Many of the locals don't really like being called Hawaiians because they aren't but they know what we mean and usually smile.

I used the term "Hawaiians" in my post to differentiate between those of Polynesian heritage, and those who aren't. When I was a teenager living on Oahu, I had many friends with differing amounts of Polynesian and Western Pacific heritage, as many were mixed race. Among Locals, they were referred to as Hawaiian, or Samoan, or Tahitian, or Fijian, or Filipino, or whatever their dominant race was. As the only white kid in many groups, I was always the Haole Boy, who early-on was jokingly referred to as "shark bait." It was in reference to my overall pale white skin, I guess because sharks like to go for bright, light colored bait. After I developed sun-bleached hair and a dark tan, the shark bait jokes subsided.

My racist father always referred to Locals by whatever rude vernacular term he preferred. The nicest I can repeat here was "Kanakas." (He pronounced it Ka-nack-ees.) This was a man who regularly spouted the N word without blinking, so it didn't surprise me he would disrespect the heritage of any Pacific people. I never understand the racial denigration - if it weren't for the people living in Hawaii, he wouldn't have had a job. :shrug:

Dave

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I used the term "Hawaiians" in my post to differentiate between those of Polynesian heritage, and those who aren't. When I was a teenager living on Oahu, I had many friends with differing amounts of Polynesian and Western Pacific heritage, as many were mixed race. Among Locals, they were referred to as Hawaiian, or Samoan, or Tahitian, or Fijian, or Filipino, or whatever their dominant race was. As the only white kid in many groups, I was always the Haole Boy, who early-on was jokingly referred to as "shark bait." It was in reference to my overall pale white skin, I guess because sharks like to go for bright, light colored bait. After I developed sun-bleached hair and a dark tan, the shark bait jokes subsided.

My racist father always referred to Locals by whatever rude vernacular term he preferred. The nicest I can repeat here was "Kanakas." (He pronounced it Ka-nack-ees.) This was a man who regularly spouted the N word without blinking, so it didn't surprise me he would disrespect the heritage of any Pacific people. I never understand the racial denigration - if it weren't for the people living in Hawaii, he wouldn't have had a job. :shrug:

Dave

Different times Dave. Back in the days of your dad it was just how many guys spoke. Even back in my 20's this was how guys spoke. I really didn't mean much for most but you are right, it is very disrespectful.

The guys I know in Hawaii are called kamaaina . They are all races , mixed races and mostly people that were not boi. They are what I call locals. I don't know any natives. Just locals.

Bill

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Different times Dave. Back in the days of your dad it was just how many guys spoke. Even back in my 20's this was how guys spoke. I really didn't mean much for most but you are right, it is very disrespectful.

The guys I know in Hawaii are called kamaaina . They are all races , mixed races and mostly people that were not boi. They are what I call locals. I don't know any natives. Just locals.

Bill

I know, and agree. It just still surprises me. :thumbup:

Being called kamaaina was definitely a goal, when I first arrived. I hated thinking of myself (or having others think of me) in malihini terms. :D But kamaaina was a generic term for people who had been on-island awhile. It didn't refer to ethnic heritage.

Dave

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
I did not get the sense the plane would crash but maybe other bad luck could make your flight/s or trip home unusual or frustrating.

It is illegal to remove rocks and sand from Hawaii but tourists do it continually. The HI Post Offices also receive a steady stream of visitors returning rock and sand with letters stating how bad luck followed their family after taking part of HI home. The Pele Curse could be real!!!

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story...sand-being-mailed-back-to-hawaii-by-tourists/
Safety to me on a 6 hour flight across the Pacific is something worse than unusual or frustrating.

"If you’re looking to have a safe flight home, it’s best to leave the rocks where they are."

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Any list of the best pizza places in the country usually includes 3 from New Haven: Modern Apizza, Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana, and Sally's Apizza. None of them even show pineapple on the menu. My brother, a resident of New Haven, is appalled that anyone would even think of putting canned pineapple on a pizza. I have tried pizzas with pineapple before, and the pineapple usually makes the pizza too soggy.

BTW, I have tried pizzas in New Haven, and they are awesome. Modern's spinach and garlic pizza was the best pizza we've ever tried. We ordered a spinach and garlic pizza shortly after we came back to MN, and they put canned spinach and garlic chips on it, making it the worst pizza we had ever tried. It was a long time after that before we tried any MN pizza.
Discussions about "the best" pizza are just like discussions about other food and fashion. There are so many different styles and preferences, but everyone thinks theirs is the best, and often find ways to denigrate other's tastes.

I love pizza, and enjoy trying all the different types as the mood strikes me. Great pizzas and crappy pizzas can be found anywhere. If someone likes a topping that I don't, I'd never tell them not to eat it.

People who claim such and such should never go on a pizza have too much self importance. If they won't make what I want, I have no need to go there. I am sure they will miss me.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Discussions about "the best" pizza are just like discussions about other food and fashion. There are so many different styles and preferences, but everyone thinks theirs is the best, and often find ways to denigrate other's tastes.

I love pizza, and enjoy trying all the different types as the mood strikes me. Great pizzas and crappy pizzas can be found anywhere. If someone likes a topping that I don't, I'd never tell them not to eat it.

People who claim such and such should never go on a pizza have too much self importance. If they won't make what I want, I have no need to go there. I am sure they will miss me.

I completely agree. I love "authentic" Italian pizza versions, and I also happen to like "Hawaiian" style (yes, the pineapple one - it's awesome with the right white cheese.) There is no right or wrong way to make pizza. That being said, I discovered a square frozen pizza at Costco called "Motor City" brand, that is absolutely excellent - for being a deep dish frozen pizza. Yes, you have to rearrange the toppings that shift around in the package, and yes, you need to cook it a minute or two longer than they say on the package, depending on your oven. But when it's done correctly? It's really good.

People said the Brick Oven pizza on Kauai was "to die for" good. So we tried it. Absolutely the worst pizza I can remember eating (even worse than that disastrous pizza I had in Venice, Italy. Yikes!) The Brick Oven pizza was expensive, improperly cooked, and essentially inedible. Never, ever again. But that's just me. You might love it. And that's the best thing about pizza - they're all different.

Dave

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One year when we were heading home from Hawaii with my parents, the Ag inspector made my Dad open his suitcase. He had a baseball size lava rock wrapped up in a sock and tucked into his shoe. Surprisingly, the rock wasn't confiscated. The inspector gave my Dad a heavy duty brush and said if he took it to the men's room and scrubbed it thoroughly, he could keep it. Years later, when he was 83 and doing hospice at home due to a blood disease, my brother and I went to help my mom take care of him. By the time we got there, he was bed ridden and unable to speak. My mom said there was something on my dresser. It was the lava rock with a note from Dad saying the rock was for me. I took it into his bedroom and he smiled when he saw me holding it. It was the last time I saw him smile, and he passed away peacefully several days later.

The rock now sits on the shelf in my office. I can't say it's brought either of us bad luck, and I don't plan on returning it.

HGVC Lover

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One year when we were heading home from Hawaii with my parents, the Ag inspector made my Dad open his suitcase. He had a baseball size lava rock wrapped up in a sock and tucked into his shoe. Surprisingly, the rock wasn't confiscated. The inspector gave my Dad a heavy duty brush and said if he took it to the men's room and scrubbed it thoroughly, he could keep it. Years later, when he was 83 and doing hospice at home due to a blood disease, my brother and I went to help my mom take care of him. By the time we got there, he was bed ridden and unable to speak. My mom said there was something on my dresser. It was the lava rock with a note from Dad saying the rock was for me. I took it into his bedroom and he smiled when he saw me holding it. It was the last time I saw him smile, and he passed away peacefully several days later.

The rock now sits on the shelf in my office. I can't say it's brought either of us bad luck, and I don't plan on returning it.

Packing a few lava rocks or a handful of sand for a remarkable keepsake is harmless, right? Not so..... possessing or removing any natural mineral is illegal and could cost some hefty fines. Hawaii is big on the preservation of natural resources. I really have a hard time believing an Agricultural Inspector said it was OK and then aided in the removal....it has been a well known Federal and State law......but each to his own. I can see how it does have sentimental value to you though. Aloha.....

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
J
Packing a few lava rocks or a handful of sand for a remarkable keepsake is harmless, right? Not so..... possessing or removing any natural mineral is illegal and could cost some hefty fines. Hawaii is big on the preservation of natural resources. I really have a hard time believing an Agricultural Inspector said it was OK and then aided in the removal....it has been a well known Federal and State law......but each to his own. I can see how it does have sentimental value to you though. Aloha.....
Just a guess it may have been a few years back, a different time, different understanding, different rules?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score

I went to the University of Hawaii on exchange for one semester back in 1975 and one weekend I flew inter-island island to visit a friend. While sitting on the small commuter plane waiting to fly back, I was admiring some beautiful stones I had picked up to remind me of my visit. The local lady in the seat next to me was absolutely distraught, and ranting on about Pele to the point that I actually got off the plane and left them on the tarmack (remember, this was 1975 and a very small plane). I am sure SHE was convinced that our plane would crash if I didn't!

HGVC Lover

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
J

Just a guess it may have been a few years back, a different time, different understanding, different rules?

Maybe......we started going to Hawaii in the late 1970's and lived there too for many years and we were very aware of not to remove rocks or sand from the islands. Just like It is not OK either for people to break off parts of the Statue of Liberty, Golden Gate Bridge, Roman Coliseum, Statue of David.....etc. and take it home as a souvenir.....even though they have tried. :)

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

In Kihei, I like a Hawaiian Pizza with a pineapple wheat beer. They supposedly used Maui Gold pineapples for both. This restaurant in Kihei had both. We ordered a Hawaiian and received a funny look. We explained ham and pineapple. We were told that what we were ordering was a Canadian, lol. It was funny and we did order the Canadian. I asked for a beer suggestion and they had a Maui wheat beer with pineapple on tap. Pretty good combo. imo.

Bill

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
In Kihei, I like a Hawaiian Pizza with a pineapple wheat beer. They supposedly used Maui Gold pineapples for both. This restaurant in Kihei had both. We ordered a Hawaiian and received a funny look. We explained ham and pineapple. We were told that what we were ordering was a Canadian, lol. It was funny and we did order the Canadian. I asked for a beer suggestion and they had a Maui wheat beer with pineapple on tap. Pretty good combo. imo.

Bill

Funny. At Pizza Paradiso in Lahaina a "Maui Wowie" is ham and pineapple pizza.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Funny. At Pizza Paradiso in Lahaina a "Maui Wowie" is ham and pineapple pizza.

That's funny, I remember in the late 70's that Maui Wowie was a righteous weed grown in Hana. They probably got the pizza name after smoking out and getting the munchies, lol.

Bill

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score

Bill
Hawaiian Pizza with ham and pineapple was invented in a Canadian pizza parlor.