• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

1 Nite short of renewing Platinum

DebbieF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Husband is coming up short. Now, with our Visa Card we get 1 nite for every 3k charged-BUT does anyone know if it has to POST by 12-31-11, because if it does he won't make it. Worse case, he drops down to Gold for a year- or we can bite the bullet and book a nite somewhere close to home I guess-any idea's out there? Thanks.

Debbie

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Husband is coming up short. Now, with our Visa Card we get 1 nite for every 3k charged-BUT does anyone know if it has to POST by 12-31-11, because if it does he won't make it. Worse case, he drops down to Gold for a year- or we can bite the bullet and book a nite somewhere close to home I guess-any idea's out there? Thanks.

Debbie
Yes, if it has not posted it will not count for this year. When the charges are incurred is not relevant. In fact, I think the key date may be when the credit card company sends the data to Marriott indicating who has accrued nights for a given month, which I think happens somewhere around the 11th of the following month. So even something that posts to your account in December may not count until next year.

However, Marriott often will renew a status level for someone who has already achieved it and misses renewing by just a night or two. This is not guaranteed, however.

Last edited:

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Platinum should be well worth the cost of a one night stay somewhere. I would just do it and not worry about it.

Do you exchange into Marriott timeshares, too? You know that counts towards status as well.

ArBravesFan

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott e-break

Do you receive the email each week for their weekend specials? They are called Marriott e-breaks. You should be able to snag an inexpensive weekend night that will be well worth the cost to maintain platinum status.

Last edited:

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Once the bonus VISA nights are posted for Dec. (as mentioned above, around Dec. 10-11) you won't get any additional VISA nights for 2011. VISA nights post once per month and it seems like they are for the previous month spending.

For example everything I have charged in Nov. 2011 will show up on my Marriott account sometime around Dec. 10. Charges made in Dec. 2011 will not post until Jan. 2012.

So even if you charge $6,000 on Dec. 20, those extra 2 nights won't post until Jan. 2012. They would count toward your 2012 totals.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Debbie

From a financial standpoint, I would think your best (and surest) bet would to find a local Marriott affiliated room (i.e. Fairfield Inn) and book it for a night.

Maybe $69 to $89 price range????? And your missing night is definitely solved!

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
A few years ago I would come up short 2 or 3 nights and would book our visiting children in for Christmas visit (vs sleeping bags on the living room floor) to the very close Towne Suites or Fairfield Inn or book a night or two myself.

If the status is important to you, then paying those last two nights is worth it. You can even check in and go home and sleep in your own bed if it is close enough!

It is only mid-November. There is plenty of time to get that last one or two nights needed in the 2nd half of December...but very important - do not wait for the last night of the year, since it will not post until 2012!

What we do to maintain our status! :clap:

ldanna

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have a night out. Visit your local Marriott Hotel! :D

Any Marriott will credit you a night, from JW to Fairfield Inn. When occupancy is low, usually 1 to 2 weeks out of checkin date, specially during the weekends, you will find great deals. I think that most places will have a low season between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so enjoy it.

A couple night out with a great dinner or even a movie. Or a night out with the kids with some popcorn at a Residence Inn.

Have fun! And make sure your husband will renew his Platinum status.

DebbieF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, I thought we would have to stay a night. Going to inlaws on the 17th. of Dec. and we usually cram 4 of us into a bedroom so this year I will look to see what I can book (Cherry Hill, NJ) for at least 2 of us. It will be worth it. Thanks all for your advice and Happy Thanksgiving!

Debbie

Last edited:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We did this a few years ago because we were at this same point and wanted desperately to maintain plat because for us its a very nice perk. We found a local Fairfield Inn and a babysitter for the night (my wonderful sister) and made a night of it.

Had a few drinks at one romatic place, went to a really special restaurant and enjoyed the peace and tranquility of our own company which is a rarity when you have a young family.

It really was an unforgetable night and we didn't even spend a fortune because we planned it for a Wednesday, did happy hour, used a 2 for 1 dinner cert, and the room was $69. All in we spent about $140 for an amazing night.

Funny thing was it turns out we didn't need the night to keep plat because a whole week appeared in our account a few days later from a renters use but we're so glad we didn't know that because of us chasing that one night we ended up having so much fun.

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a similar situation when I was <500 miles short of the 100,000 mile level with United. I booked a quick round trip from Boston to Philadelphia to visit my sister in December. Unfortunately, I switched jobs in early Feb. and stopped traveling so my status didn't provide me with much. I agree with the others - book an inexpensive night and preserve the status.

Rodenwjr

Reaction score

Debbie

Is this the Black Marriott Premier Card? Maybe Im just stupid, but do I accumulate 1 nite for every 3k charged toward a status? I havent really paid much attention to the status (Gold) because we have small children and we dont use hotel rooms too often. but is 3k/nite generally the rate? interesting.

Bill

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this the Black Marriott Premier Card? Maybe Im just stupid, but do I accumulate 1 nite for every 3k charged toward a status? I havent really paid much attention to the status (Gold) because we have small children and we dont use hotel rooms too often. but is 3k/nite generally the rate? interesting.

Bill
It's one elite night credit for every $3,000 charged on your Marriott VISA Premier card. Not a free night, but an elite night credit toward the requirements for silver/gold/platinum (10/50/75).

For example, if you have the Marriott VISA and charge $30,000 in one year you'll earn 15 (for having the card) and 10 (one night for every $3,000 charged) nights towards your status for the year. Add 25 nights in Marriott hotels and you have gold status or 50 nights in Marriott hotels and you're platinum!