• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

(1) Club Wyndham Star Island, (2) Star Island Resort & Club -- 2 Different Timeshares In 1 Location? Or 2 Names For 1 Timeshare?

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Just today we snagged a 7,500-point 2BR reservation for 7 nights in Kissimmee FL at Club Wyndham Star Island, checking in July 31, 2021.

Star Island has been on our "someday" list for a long time. We came this close to staying at Star Island 5 years ago & actually had a 1BR reservation there that we gave up when we abandoned our January 2016 travel plans because of (successful) hip replacement surgery.

Taking advantage of Platinum status in RCI, we signed up for possible (but not guaranteed) Unit Upgrade for the July 2021 reservation. If that comes through 3-14 days before scheduled check-in, they'll put us in a 3BR unit instead of the 2BR condo we reserved, a nice benefit if it happens.

I have seen Star Island identified variously as Star Island Resort & Club and as Club Wyndham Star Island, without knowing whether those are 2 names for the same thing on the 1 hand, or on the other hand whether there are 2 different timeshare entities or phases or sections or some such that operate independently side by side with each in charge of its separate part of the Star Island resort.

I also noticed that Star Island is not designated as Gold Crown or Silver Crown within RCI's rating classification system. That makes me wonder whether Star Island is so badly overshadowed by Wyndham's Bonnet Creek fancypants timeshare operation that an older, smaller timeshare like Star Island suffers from a degree of corporate neglect.

I would expect all the Wyndham timeshares, including Star Island, to meet a good standard of quality. Yet from the recent reviews & ratings I've seen, I don't know what to anticipate when we get there. Recent TUG reviews are mostly favorable. TripAdvisor reviews vary widely -- 5-star to 1-star, with not much in between.

The Chief Of Staff says I worry too much, that the place will be fine. I just want a nice place that our granddaughters & their friends will enjoy in comfort & safety.

Meanwhile, I'm congratulating myself on reserving an 88,500-point timeshare week for 7,500 points (plus exchange fee). If Platinum Unit Upgrade comes through -- a big if, I realize -- it will be an even bigger bargain. (Wouldn't that be something?)

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
From what I understand, WYndham owns a number of units at Star Island that are available for Wyndham owners to book. I don't know if they sold those units to individual owners or if it part of Club Wyndham Access trust. There is then another set of inventory that isn't Wyndham. This is why you are seeing the resort listed twice. I am sure they all share the same amenities but there could be differences in the actual villas decor and furnishings.

kwelty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club II
Samoset Rockport, ME
Harbor Ridge MDI ME
Tree Tops Gatlinburg
In September 2015 we had a two bedroom Star Island unit we got during a RCI sale for $209 plus $27 tax. I don't remember much about it, but I have a positive impression and would go back.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, WYndham owns a number of units at Star Island that are available for Wyndham owners to book. I don't know if they sold those units to individual owners or if it part of Club Wyndham Access trust. There is then another set of inventory that isn't Wyndham. This is why you are seeing the resort listed twice. I am sure they all share the same amenities but there could be differences in the actual villas decor and furnishings.

Wyndham owners own Star Island via converted fixed week contracts. They may also have some contracts in Access.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Wyndham owners own Star Island via converted fixed week contracts. They may also have some contracts in Access.
So the entire resort is managed by Wyndham?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
No. My response was strictly to the question of whether Wyndham only holds units through Access. I didn't mean Wyndham owns the resort, I meant that interval owners have converted their deeds to Club Wyndham and that's how they have a footprint there. Someone else will have to answer whether Wyndham manages the resort ( I don't think so? But that's a sheer guess.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I am curious how Wyndham came about to either get inventory there or offer up conversion for some of the owners when they don't manage the property?

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dimly recall this was either a cooperative arrangement with the original developer, or maybe a transitional period between the original developer and the current management company. I will try to do some digging and see if I can find the web page I (dimly) remember reading this on.

Edited to add: If memory serves, this was also one of the handful of resorts that defaulted to II as the external exchange back when that was still possible with a Wyndham ownership. So it's unusual for at least two different reasons.

Edited again: I can't find the discussion of the history of this resort; maybe my brain just made it up.

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I dimly recall this was either a cooperative arrangement with the original developer, or maybe a transitional period between the original developer and the current management company. I will try to do some digging and see if I can find the web page I (dimly) remember reading........
Edited again: I can't find the discussion of the history of this resort; maybe my brain just made it up.

I don't think your brain made it up .
I too recall reading on TUG about various quirky detals specific to Star Island's
history.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents

Here's what it says about it on the Wyndham site:

Club Wyndham Star Island
5000 Avenue of the Stars Kissimmee, FL 34746
This getaway is only a 10-minute drive from a defining Orlando vacation experience, Walt Disney World. The resort redefines vacation accommodations with its tranquil garden setting, premier amenities and elegant living spaces set alongside a scenic fountain lake. However you choose to define your family’s Orlando experience, this oasis can accommodate it.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
We took a Wyndham sales tour (back when it was still FairField, I think) during which we were shown renderings & a tabletop model of Bonnet Creek Resort but taken on a physical tour of Star Island, because at the Bonnet Creek site there was nothing to see but construction activities & equipment.

That experience cemented in our minds the idea that Star Island is a link in the timeshare chain that got renamed Wyndham, even though it's not necessarily so.

Regardless, Star Island has been on our "some day" list for a long time & we're happy we snagged a reservation to stay there the end of this month.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
We've been home 1 week after an enjoyable timeshare week at Star Island. Details of our stay at Star Island are in the TUG Resort Reviews section.

Also newly added to TUG Resort Reviews section is an account of our overlapping week at Vacation Village At Parkway.

So many kids & moms stayed at our outstanding Star Island unit that there was no room for Grandma & Grandpa (The Chief Of Staff & me). Fortunately, we had the foresight to grab a Bonus Week reservation at Vacation Village At Parkway, just in case, checking in the day after we started at Star Island & leaving a day after we checked out of Star Island. That turned out to be a good move. We not only had our own timeshare bed in our own timeshare condo, we also had a peaceful refuge from the all the hubbub going on at our Star Island unit.

A good time was had by all.

Last edited: