• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

1 bedroom Westin Lagunamar vs two bedroom Royal Islander

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
Its, just me, my daughter, and one of her college room mates. Currently booked in one bedroom via II trade at Lagunamar. I have E-plus and can switch to Royal islander two bedroom for free since i deposited a two bedroom . If I really want to stay at Lagunamar in two bedroom I need to buy getaway or use star options to get the studio side. My daughter say's they don't care they will share the sofa bed.

Would you
1. Stay put
2. Move to Royal Islander for more space for free
3. Pay to get the studio side for westin.

we are beach bums so no car and will walk for groceries and and restaurants

Last edited:

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I would switch to Royal Islander. A second bedroom is a lot more convenient for a week.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
its, just me, my daughter, and one of her college room mates. Currenlty booked in one bedroom via II trade at Lagunamar. I have E-plus and can switch to Royal islander two bedroom for free since i depsoitied two bedroom . If I really want to stay at Lagunamar in two bedroom I need to buy getaway or use star options to get the studio side. My daughter say's they don't care they will share the sofa bed.

Would you
1. Stay put

we are beach bums so no car and will walk for groceries and and resteraunts
if you are walking for groceries and restaurants, then I would stay at Lagunamar, the location is much better. You could give them the King and take the sofa bed for yourself.:ponder:

When are you planning this trip?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Its, just me, my daughter, and one of her college room mates. Currently booked in one bedroom via II trade at Lagunamar. I have E-plus and can switch to Royal islander two bedroom for free since i deposited a two bedroom . If I really want to stay at Lagunamar in two bedroom I need to buy getaway or use star options to get the studio side. My daughter say's they don't care they will share the sofa bed.

Would you
1. Stay put

Get the studio side. Stay at WLR

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC

Would you
1. Stay put

#3 pay or use star options to get the studio side for Westin, you'll appreciate having the extra bathroom as well as the extra space.

Fredward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin- Lagunamar, Kierland Villas, Marriott- Barony Beach, Aruba Surf Club
There may also be availability with an AC. We love WLR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

There are also plenty of getaways out there through the middle of December.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Stick with WLR and get the studio side.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would go to the Royal Islander. Their grocery store on property is pretty much in line with Soriano. You could take the RR shuttle to the Royal Sands and then walk over to Soriano. They will deliver your groceries for about $2. Having the full villa at the RI is worth a little inconvenience. The prices in the grocery store at Lagunamar are over the top and the 1 bedroom there is small.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would go to the Royal Islander. Their grocery store on property is pretty much in line with Soriano. You could take the RR shuttle to the Royal Sands and then walk over to Soriano. They will deliver your groceries for about $2. Having the full villa at the RI is worth a little inconvenience. The prices in the grocery store at Lagunamar are over the top and the 1 bedroom there is small.
The 1 BR at Lagunamar is about 740 sqf so rather standard for Vistana. Are you sure you are not referring to the studio? I have seen it called 1 BR at one point which created confusion.

1601838493989.png

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
Any difference in quality of beach and water. Prefer some wave action but swimmable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

most of my ACs exclude WLR and the Grande Luxxes

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Views from the Royal Islander in 2019 while staying in a 2 bedroom suite.
E3B47D11-31D2-4B31-8080-020589E45DA2.jpeg
490A08BD-FED5-4A37-A7DE-B0D2A2FEC005.jpeg
5B63F1B2-4FCE-4255-A199-9717F942590A.jpeg

guitarlars

TUG Member
Reaction score

Would you
1. Stay put

Hard choice, two of my favorites. I would probably go with the Royal Islander. The resort is older but as a result the rooms are larger. The Westin is very nice but the rooms are smaller, IMO. As for beach, they are both close but my favorite is probably the Royal Islander.

If you do decide to stay with the Westin splurge for the extra room, the one bedroom unit at the Westin would likely be too cramped.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lagunamar- has in room laundry, nicer bathroom/shower, bbq grills, nicer pool loungers, no smoking, better strip location

Islander- has much nicer balcony, better developed beach palapas, better/cheaper grocery store

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
I vote Royal Islander. You already paid the 59.00 eplus so use it. Why pay for another exchange or even use an AC for the space you would have if you just retraded. I stayed at the Westin many many years ago and it would not be my choice. I think the Royal Islander has a much better location and the rooms are larger, also the beach is sooo much better. Islander is in the Royal family which deals with there guests very well. This is only my personal opinion.
So nice to have options. Whichever you choose you’ll have a fantastic time I’m sure. That is why I love my timeshares.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I stayed at the Westin many many years ago and it would not be my choice.

"many many years ago" ???

The Westin Lagunamar has only been open 12 years.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many years is 5 so I guess many many years is 10 or more. A matter of age and perspective as to how each of us see the passage of time. Which I guess really has nothing to do with this thread lol

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
To revive a thread from last year, my situation is a bit different than the original OP.

I have back to back weeks at Royal Islander for next year in a 1BR and then 2BR. There will only be 2 of us. I'm thinking of retrading the 2BR Islander for a 1BR Westin Lagunamar. Looking the TUG reviews, RI seems to be ranked higher than the Westin but on Tripadvisor, the Westin is higher. We won't have a vehicle and will likely take local buses and walking to get to everything and buy groceries. We'll cook our own food and eat at cheap local restaurants if that helps.

Opinions?

Troyrissa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar
Can’t speak to Royal Islander as I’ve never been and I don’t know where it’s located. Lagunamar is in one of the best locations. With the mall across the street there are many shops and dining venues. Other restaurants are a very short cab ride away. We didn’t have a car either and it was a 20 minute walk to a good grocery store or a 5 minute bus ride. The bus stops right in front of the resort. The resort itself is beautiful.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
It's a close decision, but with the extra person. I might opt for Royal Islander just to get the extra bedroom. Westin Lagunamar is a nicer resort, and it's just across the road from La Isla Mall, with more restaurants nearby...as well as La Europea for wine, etc., and the Kukulcan Plaza and Soriana for groceries. But if you are comfortable with using the fold-out sofa, stick with Lagunamar. The Royal resorts are decent, but a bit overrated in comparison.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been to both properties. The beach is much nicer at the Royal Islander. I would keep the 2 bedroom villa, because even though you are only 2 people IMHO having the second bathroom is a huge plus!