• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

1 bedroom Westin Lagunamar vs two bedroom Royal Islander

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
To revive a thread from last year, my situation is a bit different than the original OP.

I have back to back weeks at Royal Islander for next year in a 1BR and then 2BR. There will only be 2 of us. I'm thinking of retrading the 2BR Islander for a 1BR Westin Lagunamar. Looking the TUG reviews, RI seems to be ranked higher than the Westin but on Tripadvisor, the Westin is higher. We won't have a vehicle and will likely take local buses and walking to get to everything and buy groceries. We'll cook our own food and eat at cheap local restaurants if that helps.

Opinions?
We have also been to both many times. You really can't go wrong with either one. Each has it's own advantages. Since you haven't been to either why not try both.

Gloria J

Reaction score
Pool lounge chairs are much closer at WLM. If you are away from your chair for 60 minutes at WLM, they take your chair and lock up your belongings. WLM has outdoor gas grills, but a number of them don't work. The sandwich shop is more expensive at WLM than Royal. WLM 1 bedrooms are smaller. There is a cooktop but no oven like Royal. Lanai is smaller at WLM. Much larger at Royal. Finishes are newer at WLM. You can stream Netflix from a UBS from your tablet at WLM. No steaming from Royal, so you cannot binge watch a series for the week. Royal has bigger pools, more pool lounge chairs with more space around them. Royal has more thatched huts on beach. WLM has shopping center across the street but honestly, I never have an urge to pick up a Louis Vuitton bag when in Mexico. Never have actually gone to that mall. Royal rooms are larger and have the two murphy beds on either side of the TV. We have stayed at both and will go back to either again.

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the insights. I think we'll stick with the 2BR and the 2 weeks at RI. We don't need high end resort style finishes at the Westin (although we don't mind them). If we want to get up to that area, we can always take the shuttle from RI to the Royal Sands sister resort and hang out there and the market for the day, right?

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the insights. I think we'll stick with the 2BR and the 2 weeks at RI. We don't need high end resort style finishes at the Westin (although we don't mind them). If we want to get up to that area, we can always take the shuttle from RI to the Royal Sands sister resort and hang out there and the market for the day, right?
The Royal shuttles are great. We took them to the Sands many times. Not sure what market you are referring to, but both malls are walkable from the sands.
The smoking policies are different at Royals compared to the Westin if that makes any difference.

Gloria J

Reaction score
In regard to the markets, here is our system if this helps. Our region's flight lands early so we are through customs and at the resort by 11:30 am. We leave our bags with the bellboys except a small carry on with bathing suits, shorts and some lightweight shopping bags to use at the grocery store. Bring one of the insulated bags for frozen items too. We change in the restrooms, go to the beach and have the special beach lunch they serve there. About 3;30, we change into shorts and take a cab/bus (pre-covid) to Chedrauri Selectivo in the hotel zone. The bus driver will point it out if you ask. The Chedrauri is much nicer than the Soriano in our opinion. Before leaving home, I make grocery list at Chedrauri online and print it out. Then if I cannot find something, I can point to the picture with the clerk. My husband loves the ceviche they sell on exterior area on the third floor. We also love the house made guacamole, chips and I always throw in a big bouquet of flowers just to feel special for the week. Beverages, mixers, bakery goods, fruits/veggies, fresh fish/shrimp, snacks. We take a $12 cab to the Royal. They have special bins for the groceries which are kept cold until they bring all the groceries and bags to the room after our 5ish check in. We eat dinner out 2-3 nights but are pretty much set for the remainder of the week.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
We prefer Selecto as well. We usually have our airport transfer driver stop at the grocery store on the way to the resort.