• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

1:4 at Smuggs (2018)

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Anybody have any experience with the 1:4 rule at Smuggs? I just booked a week for summer 2020. We did an exchange there for summer 2017. The exchange for 2020 went right through.

For other resorts with that same 1:4 rule (Summit at Massanutten and Attitash Mountain Village) I can't confirm anything...the button simply isn't there for exchanges. (EV weeks still show up.)

Guess doing it is one way to find out! We are overjoyed to find a 3BR unit there for summer. Traded my April vacation week at Cold Spring....a tough call, because we love it there, too...but kids voted for summer at Smuggs, so there we are.

Thanks for the info!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Anybody have any experience with the 1:4 rule at Smuggs? I just booked a week for summer 2020. We did an exchange there for summer 2017. The exchange for 2020 went right through.

For other resorts with that same 1:4 rule (Summit at Massanutten and Attitash Mountain Village) I can't confirm anything...the button simply isn't there for exchanges. (EV weeks still show up.)

Guess doing it is one way to find out! We are overjoyed to find a 3BR unit there for summer. Traded my April vacation week at Cold Spring....a tough call, because we love it there, too...but kids voted for summer at Smuggs, so there we are.

Thanks for the info!

If the exchange is with RCI, on other resorts that showed the 1 in 4 rules but it let me book I had no problems. I even called and emailed RCI and their answer was the resort does not have a 1 in 4 rule. They could not see it on their side. I sent screen shots and explained how I got there and it is not fixed. This was for the spinnaker resorts in hilton head.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If the exchange is with RCI, on other resorts that showed the 1 in 4 rules but it let me book I had no problems. I even called and emailed RCI and their answer was the resort does not have a 1 in 4 rule. They could not see it on their side. I sent screen shots and explained how I got there and it is not fixed. This was for the spinnaker resorts in hilton head.
It is with RCI...weeks side. I truly think that if it really was 1:4, it wouldn't have let me book. For now, I'm going to bask in the good fortune of finding a prime summer week that we could nab! A little expensive, since I had to combine my week with some leftover TPUs, but not awful....and certainly not for a 3BR. Hands down our favorite place to exchange.

I explained to my rising 7th grader that if we did this, we wouldn't be able to do Williamsburg that same summer...just not enough time in the summer! (We took the twins to Massanutten after their 8th grade year as a "big trip.") She replied, "I love Smuggs so much...and Williamsburg is far away and probably wicked crowded like Massanutten. Let's go to Smuggs!" So there we are... :)

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Missy - I have and all went fine.

I stayed I think early summer of 2015 and then got a last minute stay in Aug of 2016. When I booked the August one I called RCI and asked about the 1-4 since I had been the prior year. The RCI rep said that it could be that since it was last minute RCI didn't stop it. I called the resort and they said they were fine with it.

The 1-4 rule applies to particular weeks. Did you go really early June this year and maybe was there prior to the enforced weeks thus making it n/a for you? Week 24 was June 15-17 this year.

The One in Four Year Rule applies to weeks 1-12, 24-35 and 51-52.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
That explains a lot. Thank You!

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Missy - I have and all went fine.

I stayed I think early summer of 2015 and then got a last minute stay in Aug of 2016. When I booked the August one I called RCI and asked about the 1-4 since I had been the prior year. The RCI rep said that it could be that since it was last minute RCI didn't stop it. I called the resort and they said they were fine with it.

The 1-4 rule applies to particular weeks. Did you go really early June this year and maybe was there prior to the enforced weeks thus making it n/a for you? Week 24 was June 15-17 this year.

The One in Four Year Rule applies to weeks 1-12, 24-35 and 51-52.
We were there week 24 this year, but it was an extra vacation....so I don't think it enters into the mix. Last year, we were there late August....probably week 33ish. That's the week that I would have thought would have kicked out the new exchange. Ah, well....we'll see how it goes! My kiddos are pleased, as is my husband. (He likes to play at fly fishing...!) It's a 3BR sleeps 10, so probably either Sycamores, Mountain Laurel, or Balsams, since all of those check in on Sunday. Doesn't really matter...we'll just be happy to be there!

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
We stayed at the Birches, week 20, so we probably could stay again next year without a problem?

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Out of curiosity, I just checked to see if the system would let me book another week...and it would have, for the same summer. Not going to look a gift horse in the mouth!

Silentg, I would think you'd be fine. Week 20 isn't on their list at all. There are 2 weeks for summer 2020 in RCI as of tonight. :)

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
I only have 6 TPU and my account expires January 2020.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I asked the resort about the 1/4 rule, they told me that the rule does no longer apply for the RCI points accounts

does anyone have an idea which unit would be nicer? The number of points does not matter, we have plenty and we are just going to be 2 adults and 2 kids and the booking would be for October:

2 Bedrooms Full
12/6 Max Occupancy/Privacy

2 Bedrooms Full
6/4 Max Occupancy/Privacy

2 Bedrooms Full
8/6 Max Occupancy/Privacy

3 Bedrooms Full
10/8 Max Occupancy/Privacy

I am thinking that some of you may know the outliers: 2 BR 12/6 Max Occupancy/Privacy and 6/4 Max Occupancy/Privacy

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The 2 BR sleeps 8/6 and 3BR sleeps 10/8 will likely be the newer units, but will be further out of the village. These could be Tamaracks, Sycamores, Falcons, Balsams, Aspen Highlands, Mountain Laurel. The other 2 units will likely be older, but would be in the center of things.

We are crossings fingers, toes, and everything else that our July exchange happens. (I don't have points...so theoretically the 1:4 should apply to me.) Anyhow, we're looking forward to going!

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
The 2 BR sleeps 8/6 and 3BR sleeps 10/8 will likely be the newer units, but will be further out of the village. These could be Tamaracks, Sycamores, Falcons, Balsams, Aspen Highlands, Mountain Laurel. The other 2 units will likely be older, but would be in the center of things.

We are crossings fingers, toes, and everything else that our July exchange happens. (I don't have points...so theoretically the 1:4 should apply to me.) Anyhow, we're looking forward to going!
Great, thank you. I booked the 2 BR 8/6, the unit number is 28N , I was told it should be either Balsams or Aspens

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
we had the 8/6 last summer in Balsams-same layout as Aspens. They are older units, but in a great location. The decor is a la 1985 (forest green, mauve, wallpaper, etc.), but the layout was great! plenty of space with large 2nd BR with double bed and 2 captains twins. I'd have no issues staying there again. Just don't expect granite, stainless or up-to-date furnishings.
1588960512311.png

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We love Balsams, too. We had a 3BR there one time. The 3rd bedroom is technically a hotel room lockout...it has it's own bath, and is totally separate from the rest of the unit. Loved it! It is very near the Courtside Pool and FunZone as well. Truly, there are tradeoffs to any unit you'd have at Smuggs, but we've never had one that we hated. We've stayed there tons of times, and even if all we can get is a 1BR, my kids beg to go there every summer, and April break, too, if they can negotiate it. You'll have a blast!

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I asked the resort for a list of all condos by unit number, they did not answer. Does anyone have one?

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't have one...but they usually aren't too hard to figure out. SY is Sycamore, OK is Oaks, and so on. The N is throwing me. I'd think that was Nordland, but there aren't any 2 BR's sleeps 8 in that building.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
The reservations I have for this year are in units 28Z and 28N. The resort told me that 28Z is a 2-bedroom 2- bath unit in the Sycamores Buildings, 28N is in either Balsams or Aspens. Something does not make sense, why would 28N not be in a specific building?

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Huh. That is different than the numbers/letters I've always had...but I always exchanged in through RCI weeks. Maybe it's different depending on the system you use. Who knows. It will be fun either way!

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I also recall that we had a number like that using RCI points. It was unrelated to our unit, which might have been something like #203 for in Balsam. Balsam are all Sunday check-ins.