• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

09 vacation plans---planning changes?

frenchieinme

TUG Member
Reaction score
This 2008 summer marked a big difference in how and when tourists travelled in various parts of the US. Do you forsee yourself making slight, medium or drastic plans in your 2009 travel plans and expenses for such? With this uncertain economy we saw more people traveling closer to home this past summer. Will it carry thru to 2009 for you and your family? Where do you fit in this equation? :confused:

frenchieinme :hi:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Our plans for summer 2009 haven't changed. We'll spend two weeks on the big island of Hawaii, both in timeshares. Flights were procured using ff miles.

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have changed my plans...

- I gave away 2 of my weeks (Grand Caymans / Acapulco) :bawl:
- I am still going on my flying trips but its ify ... they are Los Vegas/Cancun and Wisconsin Dells

For 2010...only 1 flying trip planned... (Europe)

klisow

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have altered our plans. We were supposed to go to Cancun in March, or possibly, Puerto Penasco, MX but have decided to drive down to Wilderness Club at Big Cedar in MO, instead. We just couldn't see spending that kind of money on airfare for a family of 5. In addition, we will be going for 4 days to the WI Dells and staying at Wydham's Glacier Canyon. Both of these are supposed to be great resorts, and while they don't have the warmth of the sun, they provide plenty for a family to do.

In addition, we have planned a lot of little trips within 4-5 hours from here. We use Last Call all of the time. Next weekend we are heading up to a resort in northern WI for a fall getaway for 4 days. My family cherishes this time we spend together, and I really think they look forward to these trips more than the huge, pricey ones. As long as we are making memories together, that's all that counts.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
No changes for us...DH and I live frugally and well within our means, so as long as our jobs are secure (which they are), we haven't and don't plan to make any changes in our lifestyle or vacation plans. I do realize that I am fortunate to be in that position, but then again, there are lots of things in life I would love to have (like a new car every 3 years!), but don't because I want to be in this type of position.

2 weeks in Aruba in '09 are already in place and we're not sure where we'll spend the other 2 weeks.

Ingrid

rsnash

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have our next three trips already planned and tix paid, so I'm good until after May 2009. Hopefully we won't have to make too many adjustments. An interesting side note however... one of our sidelines is writing about the food industry and we've been inquiring of some NYC restaurateurs if they have had to or plan to make adjustments. Many of their big spenders were Wall St. types. In the more locally oriented restaurants they are looking into spending less on luxury items. But one said that since most of their business is tourist, rather than locals, they haven't seen much difference in their revenue yet. But, as the tourists take fewer trips to expensive places like NYC, I have a feeling that might change. Right now those tourists are on or will be on vacations planned months ago. I'm curious what their take on it will be in 6 months when the revenue stream slows.

senorak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have decided to limit ourselves to one "family trip" to Florida in late June and I will be traveling to San Francisco w/ my 2 younger children in late July. Normally, we take 3 or 4 TS trips during the summer.....but with my youngest planning on playing travel baseball, (and his team will go to Cooperstown in August), and my daughter starting high school, (and thus having the August hockey practices), we are limiting our trips. Hoping that I will be able to use some FF tickets for the SF trip.....and keeping my fingers crossed that I can find decent fares to Florida. Unfortunately, it doesn't look as if we will be making our annual trek to Hilton Head during the summer of '09. :( And I'll probably be renting out our week in the Poconos.

DEB

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No changes here:

1 week in Orlando, flying five of us flying from the west coast spring break

1 week at San Clemente Inn, week of July 5th.

3 nights at HGVC Flamingo for my mom's B-Day

Also have 4 nights booked in Vegas at HGVC LV Hilton stay for a tradeshow.

We're now figuring out our 2010 plans, thinking about a week in Kaui and a week in Maui, plus likely usage of our week at SCI.

Last edited:

caribbeansun

TUG Member
Reaction score
1 week Cayman in Jan
2 week Caribbean cruise in Feb
1 week Hilton Head in May
1 week Outer Banks in May

No changes yet but we did briefly discuss not going on the cruise.

vivalour

TUG Member
Reaction score
So far it's a typical travel year for our family, with some new plans for 2010. We also like to drive to the NE U.S. for short summer trips to visit extended family & shop. So far:
October 11-15: Nashville (business & leisure)
December 27 -Jan 2: Turks & Caicos
April 8-15: Vancouver & west coast
Just booked tickets for the winter Olympics (2010) yesterday.
:)

summervaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our plans have very much changed. Last spring and summer, we did quite a bit of travelling but this year we will be sticking close to home. Our furthest trip will be Branson but otherwise, we will be staying in WI and MN. It's beautiful in the spring and summer but boy will I miss a spring trip to a tropical locale!!!:bawl:

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Ordinarily we would be booking our FF tickets for Hawaii late next summer, but right now we're in a holding pattern. We may still proceed but I'm leaning towards buying tickets and racking up some miles for the 2010 Alaska trip we want to do (which takes fewer miles for relatively the same cash value for the seats).

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We throttled back on travel early last summer with the gas price increases. There has been some deferred landscape work to do and this seemed like a good time for that. (Contractors were finally available)

We are leaving for Europe on Friday (TS exchange), then have San Diego booked for January- instead of the usual mid-Winter break in Mexico. That's a little less than usual, but we did a LOT of international traveling in the last 10 years, so it doesn't hurt too badly. As the economy sours and we watch our 401(k)'s turn into 201(k)'s, other adjustments may be made.

Jim Ricks

Last edited:

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're retired. Travel is what we do with our time. But that might have to change. We live on our pensions and use investments for travel expenses. Everyone knows what's happened/happening to investments :bawl:

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've completely changed my approach for 2009. I'm only going to go to resorts that I can drive to within 8 hours of my house.

I'll save money on airfare, car rentals, and I can bring most of the basic food stuff with me and avoid buying once I'm there.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
We are using our HGVC points for a Spain-Canary Island cruise during the winter of 2009. We will be using our HHonors points for the hotel rooms in Barcelona immediately prior to and following the cruise. We made an RCI trade to the Red Wolf Lake Side Lodge by Lake Tahoe for the fall of 2009. We have submitted an RCI search for Barbados during the winter of 2010 but have not yet heard anything.

mecllap

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Fortunately our two weeks in Grand Cayman are paid for already (except car) for the upcoming holidays -- but am backing out of planning two weeks in SoCal next Christmas. Just going to do driving trips in the SoEast, and no flying. And am no longer thinking about trying to go to China in 2010 -- I expect 2010 will also be close to home (altho still hope for one Caribbean week).

So, I'm in the "scaling back" group -- and envious of those who won't have to (altho glad that they'll be out there keeping the vacation industry going!). I'm really glad I'm not currently employed in the vacation/leisure industry.

irish

TUG Member
Reaction score
2009 vacations will be very different from past years. no ARUBA for us. will spend 2 winter weeks in florida instead. no flying to michigan see the grand kids. will be driving UGH!!! and possibly no october trip to ARIZONA but that i'm still thinking about. going to be a real change as in past years we were on a plane to somewhere about every 3rd month. oh well, the cats will be happy.

KCI

TUG Member
Reaction score
We decided months ago to plan all our timeshares within driving distance of our home for 2009. We live in SC so we can go in many directions to timeshares without having to spend a night in a motel. Our future plans include Longboat Key, Florida, Gatlinburg, TN, Marble Hill, GA, Charleston & Hilton Head, SC so far. We didn't change plans to exclude flying because of the cost, we just figured it would be a real pain to fly until the airlines figure out how to get everyone where they need to be with less planes, etc. We may break down and take one flight in 2009 but that's a big if. We have a lot of frequent flyer miles on 3 different airlines but we're just not sure we want to fly anywhere in the near future. Linda

london

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vacation Choices

No changes for us...DH and I live frugally and well within our means, so as long as our jobs are secure (which they are), we haven't and don't plan to make any changes in our lifestyle or vacation plans. I do realize that I am fortunate to be in that position, but then again, there are lots of things in life I would love to have (like a new car every 3 years!), but don't because I want to be in this type of position.

2 weeks in Aruba in '09 are already in place and we're not sure where we'll spend the other 2 weeks.

Ingrid

Your post is well taken. We are retired and make choices all the time.

Travel is important to us, and we value our travel experiences very much.

We don't need a new car every three years, so we enjoy our travel in country and out of country.

That said, with the economy on the decline, we will most likely reduce our travels.