• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

‘White-Collar Quarantine’ Over Virus Spotlights Class Divide

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Excerpt from the article:

In New York, well-off city dwellers have abandoned cramped apartments for spacious second homes. In Texas, the rich are shelling out hundreds of thousands of dollars to build safe rooms and bunkers.

And across the country, there is a creeping consciousness that despite talk of national unity, not everyone is equal in times of emergency.

“This is a white-collar quarantine,” said Howard Barbanel, a Miami-based entrepreneur who owns a wine company. “Average working people are bagging and delivering goods, driving trucks, working for local government.”

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
It will be very sad if more working class people die vs white collar people. I think the majority of Americans are safely at home.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The middle class workers are the one still working everyday; examples: trucks drivers, teachers, grocery stores workers, UPS & Amazon workers, postal workers, trash collectors workers, police & fire personnel,
retail workers at Wal Mart, BJ Warehouse, and Sam Clubs and finally hospital personnel. IMO.

Last edited:

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
The four of us are fortunate to live in a relatively large house (1825 sq ft with 1500 sq ft walk out basement). We have set up a spare room with an adjacent bathroom so if someone in the house gets sick, they are contained and hopefully wouldn't infect others. Everyone can effectively social distance within the house if required.

I feel for those who live in small apartments as there would be no way to distance from others you live with, plus being in cramped quarters would drive people crazy! I have an office, workshop and garage to hide if I start feeling squirly.

queenofthehive

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I do agree. Sad but true. These workers have to go out and face it everyday because if they quit, they will not qualify for unemployment. Also, most will no longer have healthcare. They have no choice. Factory workers have to go in as well. At least in my state, it seems like most factories can stretch the qualifications to be an essential business. So, the office workers get to work from home but the factory workers on the line have to be there. Sometimes the workers can’t be 6 ft apart and they don’t have masks or other PPE. Not all factories/manufacturing have unions. The workers can be older with health conditions or family members with health conditions that they might take the virus home to. I am sure workers rights are going to get real interesting after all this is done.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Excerpt from the article:
“This is a white-collar quarantine,” said Howard Barbanel, a Miami-based entrepreneur who owns a wine company. “Average working people are bagging and delivering goods, driving trucks, working for local government.”

One thing that has come to the forefront during this: Those that matter are the store clerks, the medical workers, the delivery drivers, the field workers, the mail carriers. The celebrities, the Sports Stars, the Politicians are a drag on the economy!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This makes me feel privileged that I am able to work from home and my DH is also working from home. Even though I am having losses as a small business owner, I am still able to work from home and stay safe. Many people do not have that option.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This makes me feel privileged that I am able to work from home and my DH is also working from home. Even though I am having losses as a small business owner, I am still able to work from home and stay safe. Many people do not have that option.
You ARE priveleged. Though retired, we are too. Spread it around. Order take out. Tip well. say 'Thanks' to those you interact with. AND MEAN IT!

Jim

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
As farmers, we're working everyday. But we're also very fortunate because, by the nature of things, we work outside, we've been practicing social distancing in our work without knowing the meaning of that term until 30 days ago, and we take pride in our role to provide healthy, plant-based foods that nourish people. We employ anywhere from 70-120 people, depending on the time of year--and I am incredibly grateful to report that no one has yet fallen ill to the virus. I pray for them and their families each day, as well as for everyone in our immediate and extended family, asking God to protect us all from sickness.

We have another advantage: by virtue of the fact that we make our living in agriculture, by definition we're located in a more rural, less densely-populated area. It's easier to "spread out" here than it would be in San Francisco or Los Angeles or even a medium-sized city. Don't get me wrong--we're not immune to the virus, not at all. We have held several information and training meetings with our employees to ensure everyone knows how the virus is spread, what the symptoms are, and most importantly how crucial it is that we keep our hands clean, stay at least six feet apart, and sanitize frequently-touched surfaces like door handles, cell phones, tractor steering wheels, and keys and padlocks.

A couple of weeks ago, I invited any employees who were interested to attend a prayer meeting and time of reflection. I expected maybe a half dozen people to come. We had more than 50 show up. As a result, we have announced that we'll continue to hold these meetings each Friday for anyone who wishes to come. Many of our employees have thanked me and told me how much it means to them to know that we pray for them and care enough to take the time (which they are being paid for) to do this. It's part of pulling together to make it through.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I am fortunate I can work remotely as well however Dh is LE. Since we have always had remote access, it’s business as usual because we are considered essential, Tech. I’m thankfully for having a job however on top of homeschooling, it’s stressful. Thankfully we do have childcare, at a reduce rate. Our CA County does have a low rate because most ppl are indoors are mostly indoors.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I disagree. That doesn’t make you privileged. That’s the course you chose. You could have chosen to work for someone else who needs you to come into work. There is a difference between privileged and blessed. You work hard and made your own choices to own a small business and ALL that comes along with that. Many small businesses are closing due to this virus even if they work from home. Does that mean they are privileged because they get to struggle from home? It’s ok to be blessed, work hard and be grateful.