• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Closed - new thread started] Will Hawaii Open by [OCTOBER???] [Please use this thread for all Hawaii Coronavirus discussions]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
We're in a similar situation. Made a couple of Big Island reservations when HGVC was offering for no fee a couple of months ago. Then a couple of weeks ago moved them to mid-April. Hopeful that April may be doable, but we can move them back to any date in 2021. Will monitor the situation.

Funny, when I moved them I had to acknowledge the quarantine situation in Hawaii, and that we couldn't use a timeshare on the BI for quarantine. We have no intention to use it if the quarantine is still in effect.

What do you mean "when I moved them I had to acknowledge the quarantine situation in Hawaii, and that we couldn't use a timeshare on the BI for quarantine." Did you do this on line? I have moved reservations around on line in early 2021 without having to do anything that I haven't done before when I change reservations.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you mean "when I moved them I had to acknowledge the quarantine situation in Hawaii, and that we couldn't use a timeshare on the BI for quarantine." Did you do this on line? I have moved reservations around on line in early 2021 without having to do anything that I haven't done before when I change reservations.

Yep, I changed the reservation online (with HGVC, reservations are normally only changeable for free if you had made the reservation online and do the change online). And before the website would let me confirm the change, I had to click through a couple of disclaimers about the quarantine.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
You know, I think the admins should change the title of this thread to not only include a month, but a year as well. Right now, given how the pandemic is progressing and the attitude of the Hawaiians and their government leaders, I would not bet any significant amount of money that Hawaii will be open to tourists in September, 2021. Anyone else fee this way?

Kurt

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
You know, I think the admins should change the title of this thread to not only include a month, but a year as well. Right now, given how the pandemic is progressing and the attitude of the Hawaiians and their government leaders, I would not bet any significant amount of money that Hawaii will be open to tourists in September, 2021. Anyone else fee this way?

Kurt

Yeah, I believe I posted that belief back in March or April...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I think you are correct, the Governor should make the announcement soon if the quarantine will be moved to October, which I think it will. After that who knows, depends on the numbers.
Given that cases are still rising, as apparently the infection rate is also rising (8.5% today I believe), and given the incubation of up to two weeks, its getting quite hard to imagine that over the next week numbers will drop to a sufficient degree that they feel ready to open. It seems that the Oahu residents shot themselves in the foot, or at least shot those of us that want to come visit Hawaii in the foot. That said, do remember that you have to have a negative PCR test to come, so it’s not like it’s just “open.”

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Given that cases are still rising, as apparently the infection rate is also rising (8.5% today I believe), and given the incubation of up to two weeks, its getting quite hard to imagine that over the next week numbers will drop to a sufficient degree that they feel ready to open. It seems that the Oahu residents shot themselves in the foot, or at least shot those of us that want to come visit Hawaii in the foot. That said, do remember that you have to have a negative PCR test to come, so it’s not like it’s just “open.”
I agree that the Sept 1 date will be pushed back and I wouldn’t be surprised to see it moved again. I do find it curious that with respect to inter island travel the quarantine wasn’t established for those going to Oahu.

What is the justification for this? Is it because once you have widespread community transmission (as seems to be the case on Oahu) the rationale for a quarantine period goes out the window?

Could this potentially be opening the door to a situation where transpacific travel to Oahu is permitted (still with a PCR test ), but other islands still have a 14 day quarantine requirement?

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't understand why they aren't willing to re-open with a negative test. Sure, there is a very slight chance that someone could become infected between when they take the test and when they arrive, but I would think it would do enough to mitigate risk.

Right now, there are more active cases as a percentage of population than a good chunk of states (mine included - Colorado). That will only get worse over the next couple of weeks. I really hope this gives them the wake-up call that they need.

If there is established community spread (like they've been seeing for > 30 days) in Hawaii, the limited number of tourists that all would have had negative tests likely wouldn't add to the numbers in any meaningful way (this is assuming that the number of tourists will be very limited -- even after 2-3 months of allowing tourists to bypass quarantine with negative tests, I've got to think arrivals will be down to 20-30% of "normal" levels).

From what I have read it seems like Governor Ige's moves pinned all of their hopes on limiting spread by limiting tourism. This gave people a false sense of security that since the islands were mostly COVID free they could ease up. I remember around 30 days ago, there were 2 different yoga gyms that had outbreaks. From the article today there were more than 10 employees at a state building who tested positive. There was another cluster related to a strip club.

Rather than blaming tourists they should have been sensible and limited gatherings indoors severely. If they really want to take COVID seriously, wouldn't it make sense to have activities like Yoga outside? Or you know, completely shut down strip clubs? Also, I work in government and we have done everything possible to follow social distancing guidelines. We have had a few employees test positive, but because we have been very, very strict, I am not aware of another employee catching it from another at work.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
I can't understand why they aren't willing to re-open with a negative test. Sure, there is a very slight chance that someone could become infected between when they take the test and when they arrive, but I would think it would do enough to mitigate risk.

Right now, there are more active cases as a percentage of population than a good chunk of states (mine included - Colorado). That will only get worse over the next couple of weeks. I really hope this gives them the wake-up call that they need.

If there is established community spread (like they've been seeing for > 30 days) in Hawaii, the limited number of tourists that all would have had negative tests likely wouldn't add to the numbers in any meaningful way (this is assuming that the number of tourists will be very limited -- even after 2-3 months of allowing tourists to bypass quarantine with negative tests, I've got to think arrivals will be down to 20-30% of "normal" levels).

From what I have read it seems like Governor Ige's moves pinned all of their hopes on limiting spread by limiting tourism. This gave people a false sense of security that since the islands were mostly COVID free they could ease up. I remember around 30 days ago, there were 2 different yoga gyms that had outbreaks. From the article today there were more than 10 employees at a state building who tested positive. There was another cluster related to a strip club.

Rather than blaming tourists they should have been sensible and limited gatherings indoors severely. If they really want to take COVID seriously, wouldn't it make sense to have activities like Yoga outside? Or you know, completely shut down strip clubs? Also, I work in government and we have done everything possible to follow social distancing guidelines. We have had a few employees test positive, but because we have been very, very strict, I am not aware of another employee catching it from another at work.
On Hawai'i Island our circumstances appear to be different from Oahu. The majority of our new cases are travel related as well as one of the Hawaiian Air Trainees who came back to the island from Oahu and tested positive. These are not visitors, but both returning residents and workers. The idea that mainland travel to Hawaii will continue to put the resident population at increased risk will most likely extend quarantine requirements well into the fall.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Colorado (where I live) is a big state for tourism. There are a number of mountain towns that probably have tourism numbers that are on par with many areas of Hawaii. They have been reasonably successful at limiting the spread (Summit, Pitkin, and Eagle Counties) despite tourist numbers that are probably only down about 30% from previous summers. This is particularly impressive given that some of the earliest cases in the US were in these mountain communities. Fortunately, they were able to get community spread almost completely under control through May and reopened around June 1.

Many people figured it would be an abject disaster but because of very strong efforts to limit community spread it has been very manageable. For example, EVERYONE wears masks...stores limit drastically the amount of people that can be indoors, almost all dining is done outdoors, etc. These were all efforts that were made to establish a culture that would prevent the spread of COVID-19. Signs are EVERYWHERE that remind people of local ordinances designed to prevent spread and it has worked very well.

I feel like the current situation would have been much more manageable if there were stronger efforts to establish a culture of "Living with COVID" like some other states have done (some have done so a lot better than others).

In many ways because the focus in Hawaii seemed to be entirely on tourism, it felt like there was a false sense of security.

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
The Maui Times as of the 8th has 31 people on Oahu dying from the inception of this pandemic. Based upon an estimated population of Oahu from 2012, that means 3.175X10 to the -5th of that county's population has died. This is a very small number as far a percentages go, even if anualized. And if Oahu's population has increased since 2012, that number is even smaller still.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Yep, I changed the reservation online (with HGVC, reservations are normally only changeable for free if you had made the reservation online and do the change online). And before the website would let me confirm the change, I had to click through a couple of disclaimers about the quarantine.

You are right that is now what the disclaimer says. I have changed reservations and clicked those disclaimers thousands of times so that, while I read them once perhaps years ago, I click them without reading them almost all the time. Well I am not going to keep those reservations I just change to today anyway so I guess it doesn't matter that I must quarantine, get a Covid-19 test, or not quarantine in a timeshare on the Island of Hawaii which I agree to with the click.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
The Maui Times as of the 8th has 31 people on Oahu dying from the inception of this pandemic. Based upon an estimated population of Oahu from 2012, that means 3.175X10 to the -5th of that county's population has died. This is a very small number as far a percentages go, even if anualized. And if Oahu's population has increased since 2012, that number is even smaller still.
I don‘t think their concern is the fatality rate. I think it’s the hospital capacity. if someone is going to die from the disease, well, there’s little that can be done. But nobody want’s people dying because there was no room at the hospital for them, or they didn’t have enough necessary equipment to keep them alive. And they don’t want others — MI, stroke, car accident, etc. — dying because COVID had the ICU filled. They know a certain percentage of those that test positive will end up in the hospital and a perecentage of those in the ICU. So I think it’s all about keeping the ”new cases” below the levels necessary to ensure their hospitals can operate adequately.

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
I think it's been over two months since there were any equipment issues throughout the country. If they have an equipment problem now, it due to mismanagement. My daughter, who works in a cath lab, told me recently that a person was in for stents. Normally they would be out within 24 hours, but because they tested positive for the virus (asymptomatic), they are hospitalized until further notice (14 days) even though they continue to be asymptomatic. Situations like this fill beds unnecessarily. And it sounds like Oahu doesn't have enough facilities for a hundred year event such as COVID. We are still in what I call 'The fog of war' time where we don't know what's really going on. The news media just about never breaks down the data in any meaningful way like, how many are affected by age groups, how many graduate from observation, to hospitalization to ICU. All I hear is the sky is falling all the time without any way to evaluate things logically. It's almost like they just want to keep everyone in a frenzy for some reason. Hmmm, I appear to be venting...

Kapolei

Reaction score
I think it's been over two months since there were any equipment issues throughout the country. If they have an equipment problem now, it due to mismanagement. My daughter, who works in a cath lab, told me recently that a person was in for stents. Normally they would be out within 24 hours, but because they tested positive for the virus (asymptomatic), they are hospitalized until further notice (14 days) even though they continue to be asymptomatic. Situations like this fill beds unnecessarily. And it sounds like Oahu doesn't have enough facilities for a hundred year event such as COVID. We are still in what I call 'The fog of war' time where we don't know what's really going on. The news media just about never breaks down the data in any meaningful way like, how many are affected by age groups, how many graduate from observation, to hospitalization to ICU. All I hear is the sky is falling all the time without any way to evaluate things logically. It's almost like they just want to keep everyone in a frenzy for some reason. Hmmm, I appear to be venting...

We have some very exceptional medical professionals here on Oahu. They are not playing politics with the situation. The problem right now is where we are on the curve. We are on an Island with no herd immunity. When this thing started, I watched a webinar from one of the top medical institutions on pandemics. The science behind the spread of a virus like this is pretty solid. I had some routine blood panels scheduled. Very recently, my physician told me not to come in right now. It can wait. My physician does not care about politics. We are at the edge of a cliff right now. It could either way. Yes, they will respond. But any spike in death rate will hit us hard. It is the nature of living in an island community.

Last edited:

Kapolei

Reaction score

Kurt

We have over a million people on Oahu from all ethnicities (many mixed), religions, and political persuasions. We got all sorts of opinions here on what is happening and what should be done next. Much of the population is not Hawaiian. You should also know, that Hawaiians are not a monolithic group. There are all ranges of opinions and political viewpoints among Hawaiians. Just like the non-Hawaiians that live here.

If you are trying to assess what the local sentiment is as to not reopening for a year, I think there is too much uncertainty to project this out. The federal unemployment benefit was just extended. So for many, that is immediate relief. I am sure there are bigger behind the scene issues like the survivability of Hawaiian Airlines and the carrying costs of empty hotels that will come into play. There is the possibility of a vaccine. And there are plans being considered to lift the quarantine through testing. Believe me, the Issues are lot bigger than what you think are the attitudes of native Hawaiians.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have over a million people on Oahu from all ethnicities (many mixed), religions, and political persuasions. We got all sorts of opinions here on what is happening and what should be done next. Much of the population is not Hawaiian. You should also know, that Hawaiians are not a monolithic group. There are all ranges of opinions and political viewpoints among Hawaiians. Just like the non-Hawaiians that live here.

If you are trying to assess what the local sentiment is as to not reopening for a year, I think there is too much uncertainty to project this out. The federal unemployment benefit was just extended. So for many, that is immediate relief. I am sure there are bigger behind the scene issues like the survivability of Hawaiian Airlines and the carrying costs of empty hotels that will come into play. There is the possibility of a vaccine. And there are plans being considered to lift the quarantine through testing. Believe me, the Issues are lot bigger than what you think are the attitudes of native Hawaiians.
It is a complicated issue, but I just wanted to clarify that I was referring to all citizens of Hawaii when I said Hawaiians, not just native Hawaiians. Just like I consider myself a Coloradoan, even though I am not originally from Colorado but I live here now.

Kurt

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question. Why should I visit Hawaii when there is an major outbreak of COVID-19 there?

It's not just a matter of Hawaii not letting me go. Why should we let residents of Hawaii in, currrently? (Think of all the people New York are quarantining. . . )

Kapolei

Reaction score
It is a complicated issue, but I just wanted to clarify that I was referring to all citizens of Hawaii when I said Hawaiians, not just native Hawaiians. Just like I consider myself a Coloradoan, even though I am not originally from Colorado but I live here now.

Kurt

This is why you have me confused. Hawaiians are a group of people that once had their own country. Like the Irish or Italians. I don’t know why you can’t follow standard usage so we can have a meaningful conversation.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Question. Why should I visit Hawaii when there is an major outbreak of COVID-19 there?

It's not just a matter of Hawaii not letting me go. Why should we let residents of Hawaii in, currrently? (Think of all the people New York are quarantining. . . )
I'm a little confused. You said "Why should we let residents of Hawaii in, currently?" Who is "we"? Where are "we" letting them into? The continental U.S? Back into Hawaii? If it's back into Hawaii don't you think these might be residents returning home? And they are under the same 14 day quarantine as anyone else entering the state, unless they are exempt. So please explain what you meant.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is why you have me confused. Hawaiians are a group of people that once had their own country. Like the Irish or Italians. I don’t know why you can’t follow standard usage so we can have a meaningful conversation.
Ok, so what is the term when referring to those who live in Hawaii? Those who live in California are Californians. Those who live in New York are New Yorkers. Those who live in Colorado are Coloradoans. Those who live in Hawaii are ??? Since I don't live there, I'm just asking.

Kurt

Kapolei

Reaction score

Everyone should be clear, these quarantines have nothing to do with residency. To even exist in our nation, they must apply equally to all.

Kapolei

Reaction score
You know, I think the admins should change the title of this thread to not only include a month, but a year as well. Right now, given how the pandemic is progressing and the attitude of the [people of Hawaii] and their government leaders, I would not bet any significant amount of money that Hawaii will be open to tourists in September, 2021. Anyone else fee this way?

Kurt

This might work. :) I can suggest others. Please understand, I am not grammar police. I am informing you of language usage that has a deep significance for large group of people. You are not required to give respect to that.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This might work. :) I can suggest others. Please understand, I am not grammar police. I am informing you of language usage that has a deep significance for large group of people. You are not required to give respect to that.
No disrespect intended -- not sure why you ever thought that? :unsure: I simply used the term Hawaiians and then clarified in my followup post what I meant by that after your post. I can certainly use "people of Hawaii" in the future; no problem.

Kurt

Kapolei

Reaction score
No disrespect intended -- not sure why you ever thought that? :unsure: I simply used the term Hawaiians and then clarified in my followup post what I meant by that after your post. I can certainly use "people of Hawaii" in the future; no problem.

Kurt

I apologize for single-ing you out on this. It is a common error often made with no intent to disrespect. The other common error is for people to watch and participate in media and attach conclusions about how an entire group of people stand on an issue. Like the international telescope on Mauna Kea or sovereignty. There are diverse beliefs on these issues among native Hawaiians and among the rest of the people of Hawaii. As to the visitor industry, people are getting crushed. Opinions can vary from one person to the next depending on personal impact. And personal impact can change from one day to the next. For example, someone could be stressed about the roof over their head and then it is announced that they get an extra couple thousand a month in benefits. Instant change in outlook.

Status
Not open for further replies.