• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Closed - new thread started] Will Hawaii Open by [OCTOBER???] [Please use this thread for all Hawaii Coronavirus discussions]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
HGVC Waikoloa resorts (except Ocean Tower) have availability starting July 16 to book now. Obviously prior to quarantine exception so will have to stay at resort. Likely just a soft opening to get staff back up and running given they are already paid for by maintenance fees.

Not just stay at the resort, but go directly from the airport to your room and not step outside for 14 days. OF might work, as someone did on Maui this past three weeks. They've been free for a week. ;-)

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
Not just stay at the resort, but go directly from the airport to your room and not step outside for 14 days. OF might work, as someone did on Maui this past three weeks. They've been free for a week. ;-)
Locals can stay as well :)

luv_maui

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Absolutely correct. Under 14 day quarantine cannot rent car, can’t stop for groceries, just go directly to your room and check in online for 14 days straight starting day after arrival. Even renting a car was difficult since no email with documented proof quarantine was completed. I had to call hawaii covid-19 hotline and have police officer verify there was no prof from them, but provided copy of app showing my arrival date. The App does say you have completed quarantine but only as a message if you try to check-in online again after completing quarantine. What if I hadn’t tried to check in again out of curiosity, I would have no proof quarantine completed. Hypothetically speaking only, What’s stopping me from going home and flying back in a month and use my old boarding pass and app message stating I’ve completed my quarantine? I personally wouldn’t chance it, but could see others that come try to cheat the system
5EB17B02-8CC1-48DF-96F2-876D0EFE5F14.png

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Acknowledging that the the more random testing helps identify and contain the spread, it does lower the percentage positives.
It doesn't "lower" the percentage positives, it helps accurately determine the percentage of positives in the community. Testing based on symptoms produces an inflated positive percentage. If you want to know if it is spreading in the community you need to test randomly.

The best tool for looking at the crystal ball remains https://rt.live/ in my opinion. It will show where the big increases will be occurring in 1-2 weeks. Unfortunately, right now it's a really large list of states. Nv, Fl, and Ok being the worst. But really, everything from Ohio on is bad. These are R values well above 1.0, meaning each infected person is infecting more than 1 other person.

1593492276900.png

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those who have been tested, how did you get the results? By email? Hawaii is concerned about people showing up with fake emails, this is why they want to have a separate database where CVS can upload the results. Is this going to work smoothly? It is going to require additional administration and possible system and human errors on both sides. How fast will the airport officials going to be able to access it without creating long lines? I hope they will make it work.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
For those who have been tested, how did you get the results? By email? Hawaii is concerned about people showing up with fake emails, this is why they want to have a separate database where CVS can upload the results. Is this going to work smoothly? It is going to require additional administration and possible system and human errors on both sides. How fast will the airport officials going to be able to access it without creating long lines? I hope they will make it work.
CVS Minute Clinic says results are by email.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CVS Minute Clinic says results are by email.
You get results from MyChart (mychart.minuteclinic.com). You are sent registration link when you sign up for test, and must register within 24 hours. If you register for MyChart, you'll get an email notification from MyChart.

Last edited:

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Waikoloa resorts (except Ocean Tower) have availability starting July 16 to book now. Obviously prior to quarantine exception so will have to stay at resort. Likely just a soft opening to get staff back up and running given they are already paid for by maintenance fees.
HGVC Hokulani Waikiki on Oahu also is opening July 16.

MommaBear

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It doesn't "lower" the percentage positives, it helps accurately determine the percentage of positives in the community. Testing based on symptoms produces an inflated positive percentage. If you want to know if it is spreading in the community you need to test randomly.

The best tool for looking at the crystal ball remains https://rt.live/ in my opinion. It will show where the big increases will be occurring in 1-2 weeks. Unfortunately, right now it's a really large list of states. Nv, Fl, and Ok being the worst. But really, everything from Ohio on is bad. These are R values well above 1.0, meaning each infected person is infecting more than 1 other person.

View attachment 22696
Yesterday the most recent R0 I could find was 4.7, which means herd immunity needs to be at 87% immune to disease. The R0, and CFR (case fatality rate) will continue to change over time with increased data.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I'd imagine supplying a false test result would be a felony. I'd like to think that people would not be inclined to commit an easily provable felony just to vacation in Hawaii. I suspect the resulting "quarantine" will be for much more than 14 days if you get caught.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd imagine supplying a false test result would be a felony. I'd like to think that people would not be inclined to commit an easily provable felony just to vacation in Hawaii. I suspect the resulting "quarantine" will be for much more than 14 days if you get caught.
I agree with you, I was just repeating what the governor said, they are clearly concerned. If they do not accept the results provided by visitors by email, I do not see how people who come from other countries (like Canada) will be able to travel since they will not be part of that database.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I agree with you, I was just repeating what the governor said, they are clearly concerned. If they do not accept the results provided by visitors by email, I do not see how people who come from other countries (like Canada) will be able to travel since they will not be part of that database.
I view it a bit like high school or college transcripts. As long as the email comes from or is forwarded from the testing entity or lab, and not from the traveler him/herself, the reliability should be a lot higher.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

View attachment 22696
I get that it random testing gives an accurate view of the percentage positives. However, for the TUG timeshare travelers to Hawaii we want to be safe going there, being there, and not having to endure a 14 day quarartine. My focus here is responding to a earlier comment made by someone that there was not sufficent tests kits to pre-test all people before the flights to Hawaii. While I understand and totally agree with testing those with symptoms to enable appropriate medical treatment, I can't agree with random testing rather than pre-testing those that will be flying to Hawaii. That is my priority and I believe others here that will be going to Hawaii.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
There's been much talk here about testing 3d before, and is there time to get the results before departing. But I noticed today in the new story they used this language, "The tests must be completed no more than 72 hours before coming to the islands." The key word there is, "completed." What does it mean to have the test "completed?" Does that mean you must have the RESULTS in hand within 72 hours? If so, that would mean you can be tested 5 or so days before departure.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
There's been much talk here about testing 3d before, and is there time to get the results before departing. But I noticed today in the new story they used this language, "The tests must be completed no more than 72 hours before coming to the islands." The key word there is, "completed." What does it mean to have the test "completed?" Does that mean you must have the RESULTS in hand within 72 hours? If so, that would mean you can be tested 5 or so days before departure.
It sounds like there are all kinds of questions still out there. I'd sure want a very definite answer, and policy, before I headed to Hawaii. But again, this is a moot point for me and my family.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
It sounds like there are all kinds of questions still out there. I'd sure want a very definite answer, and policy, before I headed to Hawaii. But again, this is a moot point for me and my family.
I expect we'll all have those answers before Aug 1, but for those wanting to push the envelope and depart ON Aug 1, well, they're just going to have to make their best guesses. By Sept 1 the kinks will be worked out and the rules ought to be pretty clear.

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got this email from a backup reservation at Marriott Wailea, I changed my name and reservation number. Most notably, they indicate an estimate on a COVID-19 test for approximately $160.

hopefully governor of hawaii will have more details soon, assuming they can actually execute this plan where it works. But with COVID-19 spreading, I’m not as confident coming back in September. The devil is in the details and actual execution, assuming they can really make it work effectively. Too many issues of getting a test and getting results back in time, at least as many of us have speculated. Time will tell on the details, and I’d have to believe those details have to be announced soon (1-2 weeks?) and certainly not 7/31/20.

From: "Vento, Angela" <Angela.Vento@waileabeachresort.com>
Date: June 29, 2020 at 7:24:33 PM HST
To: "Luv_maui”
Subject: Confirming your upcoming reservation at Wailea Beach Resort, Maui
Aloha luv_maui,

I am personally writing to confirm reservation number Xxxxxxxx arriving Wailea Beach Resort on 9/xx//2020. Our ‘Ohana of associates is busypreparing to serve you. We are prioritizing ourcomprehensive cleanliness environment, providingflexible touchless services, leaning into digital guestcommunication and most importantly creatingunforgettable memories for you! We will have our robust programming and much for you to enjoy.

We ask that you email the status of your reservation so that records are accurate. Stacy Morataya-Pilkington, Resident Manager, is available to assist you with any immediate needs as I will be out of the office from July 1 to July 6. Her email is Stacy.Pilkington@WaileaBeachResort.com. Also,please know that on July 6, 2020, our cancellation policy returns to 21 days prior to arrival.

The State of Hawaii has made some recent announcements regarding welcoming travelers backto the islands. We are here to support and assistyou with sharing information regarding the 72-hourpretesting option prior to your arrival that allows you to forego the quarantine. We have been advised it isapproximately $160 per test. Please use thefollowing Hawaii Tourism Authority Website as agreat resource with the latest news.

Now, more than ever, our team is reminded of thereason why we entered the hospitality industry wasbecause of engaging with guests like yourself,whom we have the honor of serving. Please take aminute and be swept away virtually with “Until WeMeet Again”. We will be meeting very soon and youhave our full commitment to making your trip once-in-a-lifetime.

If we can be of any additional service, please let usknow. We look forward to sharing our aloha withyou very soon!

At Your Service,
Wailea Beach Resort Team
Renew Yourself In An Ocean of Possibilities. TheWater Awaits.

RESOURCES
Review the following sites to consider timing of testing, procedures at arrival, quarantine implications,results of not abiding by quarantine.
https://www.hawaiitourismauthority.org/ https://portal.ehawaii.gov/ https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
Walked to whaler’s Village. Roundtrip I passed one person coming back.

Whalers village open, limited hours:
Upper level: Lululemon, Oakley, Malibu shirts, jewelry - Rolex,
Sephora, Tommy Bahama, sunglass hut,

Lower level: Ripcurl, pacsun, volcom, flipflop,
AC71FE27-DA54-4C75-BA90-6FC6D6EAEEC8.jpeg

when has tugger ever seen a timeshare booth empty?
26FB7DF0-68FA-4AA3-B12B-66EF993F6058.jpeg

Last edited:

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe this will help the testing problems:

Lots of possibilities for testing. The NBA can test their players to restart the season, so testing certainly appears available for Non-required uses. But what will be the details by Hawaii governor and when will it be announced? Can test results be guaranteed prior to departure of one’s flight? That would be incredible if a 5 minute reliable test were available.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Lots of possibilities for testing. The NBA can test their players to restart the season, so testing certainly appears available for Non-required uses. But what will be the details by Hawaii governor and when will it be announced? Can test results be guaranteed prior to departure of one’s flight? That would be incredible if a 5 minute reliable test were available.
Of course, the NBA is utilizing their own on-site lab! Same with the PGA Tour. Not a luxury Hawaii or an airline can offer.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I saw someone post yesterday on one of the Marriott Facebook pages that the Hawaii LtGovernor said they may decide not to open up to US mainland arrivals on August 1 after all if cases keep spiking on the mainland as they are - even with testing.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I saw someone post yesterday on one of the Marriott Facebook pages that the Hawaii LtGovernor said they may decide not to open up to US mainland arrivals on August 1 after all if cases keep spiking on the mainland as they are - even with testing.
It would be nice for those who may be planning to go to Hawaii to know for sure. All of the uncertainty would drive me nuts.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I understand that, however, with a testing requirement before coming over, it really doesn't matter how many cases there are, does it? That said, we are spiking like crazy, to be sure, but the reintroduction of restrictions like closing bars, and requiring masks, etc., will start having an impact and those numbers will start coming down in mid-July.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I understand that, however, with a testing requirement before coming over, it really doesn't matter how many cases there are, does it? That said, we are spiking like crazy, to be sure, but the reintroduction of restrictions like closing bars, and requiring masks, etc., will start having an impact and those numbers will start coming down in mid-July.
Never mind. I underestimated the degree of stupidity in this country. We're all screwed. If I was Gov of Hawaii, I wouldn't let any Americans in. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.