• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Closed - new thread started] Will Hawaii Open by [OCTOBER???] [Please use this thread for all Hawaii Coronavirus discussions]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The cost with Quest was $100 for the test which my insurance did cover fully.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
The whole thing just sounds too risky, for me, at this point. Of course for us it's a moot point since we aren't planning on doing any travel this year. But we're taking a "wait and see" attitude about trying to plan a trip to Maui for March 2021.
Well, we're curious how it will work out. We're scheduled to fly on Oct. 26 to Oahu in the morning. That's a Monday. That means we'd need to test on Friday, and get results over the weekend. If tested on Friday, we'd need results Sunday some time or earlier. Is that possible? Don't know. Hopefully the fog will lift over the next couple of months and things will become more clear.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
The cost with Quest was $100 for the test which my insurance did cover fully.
Did you have symptoms or risk? I wonder if insurance covers a test taken because you need it for a vacation? Hardly seems "medically necessary."

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Well, we're curious how it will work out. We're scheduled to fly on Oct. 26 to Oahu in the morning. That's a Monday. That means we'd need to test on Friday, and get results over the weekend. If tested on Friday, we'd need results Sunday some time or earlier. Is that possible? Don't know. Hopefully the fog will lift over the next couple of months and things will become more clear.
You'd better hope the labs work over the weekends.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
You'd better hope the labs work over the weekends.
Well I do know that Quest does work 24x7. Reporting results though, that I'm not sure about. I had the opportunity to try a case against Quest a few years back. Deposing the head of their Western US lab operations, their regional VP, and head of their clinical medicine, and the head of their West Hills, CA lab, among others, gave me a lot of insight into how their lab operates. For those providers using their "360" software, they get results ASAP. But the MyQuest app wasn't part of the litigation.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Well I do know that Quest does work 24x7. Reporting results though, that I'm not sure about. I had the opportunity to try a case against Quest a few years back. Deposing the head of their Western US lab operations, their regional VP, and head of their clinical medicine, and the head of their West Hills, CA lab, among others, gave me a lot of insight into how their lab operates. For those providers using their "360" software, they get results ASAP. But the MyQuest app wasn't part of the litigation.

We are booked on Sunday November 8th. We are planning on using CVS. I know the pharmacy works everyday. As long as the test can get the results back quickly it shouldn't be a problem.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
We are booked on Sunday November 8th. We are planning on using CVS. I know the pharmacy works everyday. As long as the test can get the results back quickly it shouldn't be a problem.
CVS doesn't do their own lab work. They send it out to independent labs. Likely to Quest or LabCorp, but could be others. The real savior will be if the Abbott ID Now test comes into widespread use and proves itself as reliable (it has had some reports of high false negatives). It provides a positive within about 5 min and a negative in about 15.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
My friend had her test done at a CVS Minute Clinic. She was told 2 to 4 days. Took closer to 6.

Bill4728

Reaction score
I work in a medical lab and last week covid virus testing was taking a day. (sample Monday, test results Tuesday)

BUT suddenly the volume of tests exploded and the day turn around became 5 days almost overnight.

Since Hawaii id saying a negative test within 3 days, a five day test doesn't work.

Sorry

PS I wonder if you got sampled two days before your flight and got the results two day after arriving if that would work? A lot better than 14 days in quarantine.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In NC, the testing criteria is fairly broad, including anyone that attended a protest, and if you are a member of a group more likely to have a negative outcome from COVID (basically, if you are over 55, overweight, BIPOC, low-income and/or from another marginalized group.) So, even for the CVS tests, even if you are asymptomatic, you should qualify to get tested. (At least in our state.)

We're hoping to get tested in order to travel to Maine at the end of the July, most likely accompanying my mother who tested negative last week before a surgery on Friday (she's been in our "bubble" for about a month, so that's good news for all of us still being negative.) As for criteria, we can now all check one of those boxes. However, the CVS site everyone has to be 18 to be tested?!? Not sure how to get around that. Maybe we'll need to go through Quest.

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The testing criteria in Ca is pretty broad. I was tested because I went to my doctor for a regular appointment and had a fever when the nurse checked my temperature in my hot car before entering the office. Certain states like Arizona and Florida do have narrow testing criteria along with long waits for appointments.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
The testing criteria in Louisiana is also pretty broad. Some testing sites require COVID-19 symptoms, some do not. Some testing sites require an appointment, some do not. Some testing sites require a physician's referral, some do not.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
My friend had her test done at a CVS Minute Clinic. She was told 2 to 4 days. Took closer to 6.

Well since there is supposed to be a special deal with Hawaii and CVS perhaps they will guarantee an immediate turn around. If it is going to be a delayed results situation we will skip this year and wait for a better situation in the future. I believe unless they get testing and results timely Hawaii is going to still have a lack of tourist dollars and be in a economic crisis.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Well since there is supposed to be a special deal with Hawaii and CVS perhaps they will guarantee an immediate turn around. If it is going to be a delayed results situation we will skip this year and wait for a better situation in the future. I believe unless they get testing and results timely Hawaii is going to still have a lack of tourist dollars and be in a economic crisis.
We'll see how things are operating come mid-October, which will hopefully be a lot further along than today. But we're also prepared to self-quarantine at home for a week or so before the testing, almost assuring a negative result, and even if we don't have the results when we depart, we can self-quarantine in Hawaii for a day while waiting for the results. But I do expect CVS will work with Hawaii and ensure 2-day results.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We'll see how things are operating come mid-October, which will hopefully be a lot further along than today. But we're also prepared to self-quarantine at home for a week or so before the testing, almost assuring a negative result, and even if we don't have the results when we depart, we can self-quarantine in Hawaii for a day while waiting for the results. But I do expect CVS will work with Hawaii and ensure 2-day results.
I believe it is only at CVS Minute Clinics. And for people who don't have one near by, I guess they may be out of luck.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I believe it is only at CVS Minute Clinics. And for people who don't have one near by, I guess they may be out of luck.
A key may be doing a bit of homework by contacting the clinic (or different clinics) and finding out what time their lab picks up their specimens so you can get your sample prior to the earliest/first pickup of the day.

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
The whole thing just sounds too risky, for me, at this point. Of course for us it's a moot point since we aren't planning on doing any travel this year. But we're taking a "wait and see" attitude about trying to plan a trip to Maui for March 2021.
Agreed. The only way it works imho is if the test Results is guaranteed 1-2 days, but still not confident the deal with CVS will get done considering the pandemic is starting to surge and testing is needed for really medical reasons

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A key may be doing a bit of homework by contacting the clinic (or different clinics) and finding out what time their lab picks up their specimens so you can get your sample prior to the earliest/first pickup of the day.
I am NOT familiar with CVS minute clinics. We have a regular CVS right down the block where we get our Flu, Pneumonia, Shingles vaccines. I don't know why they wouldn't be doing the virus test if CVS has the agreement deal.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Agreed. The only way it works imho is if the test Results is guaranteed 1-2 days, but still not confident the deal with CVS will get done considering the pandemic is starting to surge and testing is needed for really medical reasons

Your post brings up a good point and has implications on the statistics. Who is to be tested and what are the implications for interpretation of the results for the progress of the pandemic. At first there were very few test kits so they only tested people with symptoms. That gave a high chance of getting a positive test result. After that they started to test people who were in close contact with people without PPE's and distancing who came down with the virus. Since as we know the virus is very contaigious that also gave a high chance of getting a positive test.

When test kits became more plentiful they started to test people routinely who wanted to be tested or were in certain capacities without a high chance of being infected. The news kept saying we need to test MORE tests. However, the more you test people who do not have symptoms or have not been in close contact with people with the virus the lower your chance of getting a positive test result and the lower the percentage of positives in the tests of the population statistics. That is putting a different finger on the scale.

Now this comment is intentionally Hawaii centric since that is the title of this thread. Unless the virus gets totally out of control in the entire US, I don't think there will be so many medically suspected cases that they will not have sufficient test kits at CVS to test those that are FLYING TO HAWAII. I Intentionally emhasized HAWAII since there will not be enough testing capacity to test all people flying. While I acknowledge that this is HAWAII centric Hawaii is the only state that can be isolated since you need to fly there. It is folly to try to contain the virus spread by testing people flying within the continental United States since you can get there by train, bus or car so easily.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Your post brings up a good point and has implications on the statistics. Who is to be tested and what are the implications for interpretation of the results for the progress of the pandemic. At first there were very few test kits so they only tested people with symptoms. That gave a high chance of getting a positive test result. After that they started to test people who were in close contact with people without PPE's and distancing who came down with the virus. Since as we know the virus is very contaigious that also gave a high chance of getting a positive test.

When test kits became more plentiful they started to test people routinely who wanted to be tested or were in certain capacities without a high chance of being infected. The news kept saying we need to test MORE tests. However, the more you test people who do not have symptoms or have not been in close contact with people with the virus the lower your chance of getting a positive test result and the lower the percentage of positives in the tests of the population statistics. That is putting a different finger on the scale.

Now this comment is intentionally Hawaii centric since that is the title of this thread. Unless the virus gets totally out of control in the entire US, I don't think there will be so many medically suspected cases that they will not have sufficient test kits at CVS to test those that are FLYING TO HAWAII. I Intentionally emhasized HAWAII since there will not be enough testing capacity to test all people flying. While I acknowledge that this is HAWAII centric Hawaii is the only state that can be isolated since you need to fly there. It is folly to try to contain the virus spread by testing people flying within the continental United States since you can get there by train, bus or car so easily.
Broadly speaking, you test for two distinct non-overlapping reasons. One is clinically... person has symptoms and you want to know what is wrong with them to guide treatment. The other is epidemiologically... you are testing randomly in the community to identify and contain spread. (Surveillance testing.) The calls for “more testing” are directed at the later.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I am NOT familiar with CVS minute clinics. We have a regular CVS right down the block where we get our Flu, Pneumonia, Shingles vaccines. I don't know why they wouldn't be doing the virus test if CVS has the agreement deal.
There was a link provided several days ago. That specifically said CVS Minute Clinics. The CVS I use, which is a regular one, has a big sign saying they do NO testing. There is at least on Minute Clinic in town. I haven't used it but I know my bil got his shingles shots there, another friend was tested for COVID 19 and I "think" they can diagnose some simple ailments. But don't take my word, look it up.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

One of the press releases, of statements by the HI Government indicated they were working on adding additional partners. We have quite a few CVS near use, but i am not sure if any of them have the minute clinics. Hopefully they will strike a deal with one or more of the big lab companies as well, like Quest or LabCorp. would be good to increase the options..

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Broadly speaking, you test for two distinct non-overlapping reasons. One is clinically... person has symptoms and you want to know what is wrong with them to guide treatment. The other is epidemiologically... you are testing randomly in the community to identify and contain spread. (Surveillance testing.) The calls for “more testing” are directed at the later.

Acknowledging that the the more random testing helps identify and contain the spread, it does lower the percentage positives. Furthermore, unlike the testing for real medical reasons that effort shouldn't prevent the redirection of available test kits to test all the people before they travel to Hawaii.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
I got a test through CVS and took a full 4 days, so you will have to take the test 3 days prior to departure, and still may not find out results until you arrive.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
HGVC Waikoloa resorts (except Ocean Tower) have availability starting July 16 to book now. Obviously prior to quarantine exception so will have to stay at resort. Likely just a soft opening to get staff back up and running given they are already paid for by maintenance fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.