• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Closed - new thread started] Will Hawaii Open by [OCTOBER???] [Please use this thread for all Hawaii Coronavirus discussions]

Status
Not open for further replies.

luv_maui

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
By utilize does Aslaka mean flight actually flown or just Booked?
Just book any flight by end of 2020, for any flight up to about 330 days in advance thru about November 2021. If you have plans thru about late June 2021, and already have Alaska airline credit to use up, book before 7/31/2020 and you can later cancel without change fees or change dates

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems they will keep Hawaii closed until at least October 1st. I am confused though, it should probably say "should welcome visitors after October 1st"

"It appears the final word by Governor Ige will be a decision over life and death for many unknown residents. Lt. Governor Green together with all 4 mayors agree the State should not welcome visitors after October 1. "

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
It seems they will keep Hawaii closed until at least October 1st. I am confused though, it should probably say "should welcome visitors after October 1st"

"It appears the final word by Governor Ige will be a decision over life and death for many unknown residents. Lt. Governor Green together with all 4 mayors agree the State should not welcome visitors after October 1. "

This looks to be someone’s opinion.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
This looks to be someone’s opinion.

I agree, just that the Lt Governor Green said more or less the same 2 days ago.
Edited to add: also the mayors hinted they are no longer comfortable with August 1st.

August becomes October, October becomes December. In October the number of new cases will not be zero and there will always be another hot spot in the US and elsewhere, the virus is not going away. If they do not open in August, a lot of Hawaiians will be very upset. Just few days ago the governor said he was expecting an increase in cases because they opened the inter island travel and some local businesses but he thought it would be manageable and the plan to reopen was going on. The protests have probably played a role, this is IMO why Oahu is more affected than other islands. Are the 25 new cases in Oahu not manageable? Was he expecting 15? Nobody knows, they are as vague as a shadow. Probably there are investors that are licking their lips, some real estate deals are going to be very interesting if Hawaii continues on this path for much longer.

Last edited:

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
"The highest form of knowledge… is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world. It requires profound purpose larger than the self kind of understanding."

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
Too many signs (your own mayors & LT. governor pushing for 10/1, upsurge in cases on mainland, shortage of testing supplies and needed in hot spots thus I see no completion in near-term for partnership with CVS for vacationers getting a covid-19 test with it’s reason to go to Hawaii let alone issues with test results back in time before one boards the plane) leaning towards Governor switching gears and adjusting to the current situation, by extending the opening date To 10/1 or even indefinitely. I’m personally not upset at the Governor or the state of Hawaii, I think they should do what they believe is best For the state and its people Under the circumstances. I also feel bad for those wanting to come to Hawaii with no clarity but this is a pandemic. Just overall tough situation.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Too many signs (your own mayors & LT. governor pushing for 10/1, upsurge in cases on mainland, shortage of testing supplies and needed in hot spots thus I see no completion in near-term for partnership with CVS for vacationers getting a covid-19 test with it’s reason to go to Hawaii let alone issues with test results back in time before one boards the plane) leaning towards Governor switching gears and adjusting to the current situation, by extending the opening date To 10/1 or even indefinitely. I’m personally not upset at the Governor or the state of Hawaii, I think they should do what they believe is best For the state and its people Under the circumstances. I also feel bad for those wanting to come to Hawaii with no clarity but this is a pandemic. Just overall tough situation.

I don't disagree with what you have said here, however, where did you see the 10/1 that the Lt. Governor and Mayors have been pushing for? By the way I just sent e-mails to Governor Ige, Lt. Governor Green, and my Mayor Caldwell on what Hawaii needs to do to prepare for the in rush of many tourists. The e-mail was a summary of my the thoughts that I expressed on the TUG HGVC Thread "Hawaii on for Aug 1"

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree with what you have said here, however, where did you see the 10/1 that the Lt. Governor and Mayors have been pushing for? By the way I just sent e-mails to Governor Ige, Lt. Governor Green, and my Mayor Caldwell on what Hawaii needs to do to prepare for the in rush of many tourists. The e-mail was a summary of my the thoughts that I expressed on the TUG HGVC Thread "Hawaii on for Aug 1"

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nothing official, at least yet, but an additional announcement should be forthcoming soon (?) since currently the 8/1 date coming up with currently negative COVID-19 test can avoid 14 day quarantine is still in place.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Yep, Denise, I was going to post this very article. So much for our trip 8/21-9/4. I guess we are going somewhere else at the end of August.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the reservation system for hotels and flights should change. Instead of fixed dates, it should be like "a week after the islands reopen", "3 months and 5 days after the islands reopen". The dates in the calendar are meaningless ;)

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Yep, Denise, I was going to post this very article. So much for our trip 8/21-9/4. I guess we are going somewhere else at the end of August.

We were first scheduled to go the Honolulu in September, then we moved it back to November, now with this news and the amount of virus spreading in many states we are probably going to scrap the winter of 2020/21 and hope for the fall of 2021. We are over 70 with some hypertension as well as repiratory problems so we feel that staying safe in our private house with cars right outside in the woods where we don't need to be near anyone when we go outside, no elevators, no public transportation is our safe and comfortable place.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Hawaii will not be opening on Aug 1st. Ige states that reopening will be “delayed by at least 1 month.” Back to square one with no plan for reopening the state.
We were first scheduled to go the Honolulu in September, then we moved it back to November, now with this news and the amount of virus spreading in many states we are probably going to scrap the winter of 2020/21 and hope for the fall of 2021. We are over 70 with some hypertension as well as repiratory problems so we feel that staying safe in our private house with cars right outside in the woods where we don't need to be near anyone when we go outside, no elevators, no public transportation is our safe and comfortable place.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
This is the first announcement I have paid attention to since I returned from Molokai. Now that I am back to work we listen to the announcements daily. He hasn’t changed his delivery, he is still vague with answers. I think we may be lucky if it’s October now.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
The pressure on the Governor will not lessen with time, it will increase. Waiting until Sept. 1 may be reasonable, given what's happening both in Hawaii and on the mainland, and the difficult caused by necessary lead times. Aug. 1 is right around the corner. It's clear that it will not even be possible to get the required testing done quickly enough given all the people needing tests right now. So he needs to wait until things settle down, both from a safety stand point and just pragmatically. A 72-hour window means nothing if nobody gets tests results that fast. Even if he said it would be open on Saturday to anyone with a negative test within 72 hours of departure, almost nobody would be able to go!

Hawaii does need to ensure that its residents are complying well and that they have community spread stomped down. And they need to know that people will be ABLE to get a test result fast enough. At the same time, those hotels and restaurants and golf courses and tour companies can't remain shut down indefinitely. It costs just as much to keep a golf course operating for 20 players as it does for 200. But the later is profitable and the former leads to bankruptcy.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Here we go... back to the economic necessity of reopening. We all know these arguments. Give it a rest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

Looks like I am going to cancel our Sept19-Oct3 WKORV stay. Hurts losing our OFD status with converting them to unrestricted SOs. With our STJ cancellation in June - that creates a lot of very expensive SOs (that just become like all others) to use by end of 2022.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Here we go... back to the economic necessity of reopening. We all know these arguments. Give it a rest.

Why can’t post his opinion?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Why can’t post his opinion?

Of course he can. I just think it’s superfluous. It’s been mentioned countless times already. What’s the point? We all know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.