• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Closed - new thread started] Will Hawaii Open by [OCTOBER???] [Please use this thread for all Hawaii Coronavirus discussions]

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
According to the this article at least, it seems people are not rushing to book trips to Hawaii. The premise is that lack of clarity about the testing process is causing confusion...

I am sure this is a complicated thing to workout, without much precedent to draw on. But have been surprised how slow the state seems to moving on this, and how mixed their messages have been.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
According to the this article at least, it seems people are not rushing to book trips to Hawaii. The premise is that lack of clarity about the testing process is causing confusion...

I am sure this is a complicated thing to workout, without much precedent to draw on. But have been surprised how slow the state seems to moving on this, and how mixed their messages have been.
It's being very aggressive, or risk-taking, to plan to be on the first flight over on Aug 1. In the best world, there will be kinks to work out.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Looks as if they may take my 5-day recommendation (for Covid testing prior to arrival) over a 3-day period. Looks like Gov. Ige may be reading my emails after all!

Factually - I have 10 days to decide if I will acquire yet another 176, 700 unrestricted StarOptions (for a total of 368,100 SOs) as we have Sept19-Oct3 booked at WKORV (our 1Bd OFD and 1Bd from WKV SOs). Or, take my chance on them being restricted? Or going?

What does a 14-day quarantine entail?
Can we go to store to by food?
Can we go to beach outside of WKORV/N as long as we stay to ourselves?
Or is it no leaving villa for 14 days for any reason other than to/from OGG - and only allowed room service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Looks as if they may take my 5-day recommendation (for Covid testing prior to arrival) over a 3-day period. Looks like Gov. Ige may be reading my emails after all!

Factually - I have 10 days to decide if I will acquire yet another 176, 700 unrestricted StarOptions (for a total of 368,100 SOs) as we have Sept19-Oct3 booked at WKORV (our 1Bd OFD and 1Bd from WKV SOs). Or, take my chance on them being restricted? Or going?

Or is it no leaving villa for 14 days for any reason other than to/from OGG - and only allowed room service?

Quarantine means quarantine. No going out for any reason other than a medical emergency. @luv_maui described this in their 14 day quarantine.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

David - We're in the same decisional situation. We are scheduled to arrive WKORVN six days after you for a two-week stay.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
TUGGER luv_maui went through the 14-day quarantine recently. I believe the answers to your questions are:

You go directly from the airport to your accommodations - no stops. You get to your unit and that is where you stay for 14 days - literally. You need to arrange to have food, etc. delivered to your room. No going to the beach. In the unit for 14 days straight. Room keys are being issued for one time use which means you get it to enter your unit and it won't work again if you go out and try to get back in. You have to check in with authorities every day and certify you are not sick, etc. You can look at his thread if you want more info.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
TUGGER luv_maui went through the 14-day quarantine recently. I believe the answers to your questions are:

You go directly from the airport to your accommodations - no stops. You get to your unit and that is where you stay for 14 days - literally. You need to arrange to have food, etc. delivered to your room. No going to the beach. In the unit for 14 days straight. Room keys are being issued for one time use which means you get it to enter your unit and it won't work again if you go out and try to get back in. You have to check in with authorities every day and certify you are not sick, etc. You can look at his thread if you want more info.
In addition they weren't allowed to rent a car so they had to plan for transport to the hotel.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

Was there some official comment or discussion from the governor about moving to a 5 day window for testing?

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Was there some official comment or discussion from the governor about moving to a 5 day window for testing?
I saw a thread on TripAdvisor yesterday discussing a press conference by the governor, that was broadcast on Facebook. I'll try to find the link when I get home.

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes, quarantine means only your room, not even out in the hallway. Your latter comment - no leaving villa for 14 days for any reason other than for medical reasons. I suppose you’d have to leave the room if there was a fire alarm. Unless I had an acceptable negative COVID-19 test in hand before I got on the plane I won’t come back, based on 14 day quarantine in place. We are debating on cancelling our 10 day stay mid Sept., 3 nights hotel + 7 at WKORVN, even if weren’t quarantined, because so much is closed.

Quarantine means having groceries delivered or meals delivered. No housekeeping entire 14 days unless Westin is different than Marriott’s policy. Online Safeway didn’t deliver to Marriott for whatever reason and DoorDash had very little options. Better meal delivery food options is thru 808Pickups app, but with Higher priced items, delivery charge, tax and tip on top. We did not try 808 pickups, but had a personal delivery service pick us up groceries at Costco & Safeway. Most places allow her service to put groceries in your fridge so just waiting for you on entry yo your room/villa, but Marriott Maui (Exception) didn’t allow it. Uber might have worked from airport to resort but we packed a lot with 4 suitcases to assist with quarantine, so also used a personal driver with a town car. Good luck with your decision. Restricted options vs non-restricted, but it’s certainly unclear how much may or may not be open. I’d guess more will be open IF avoiding 14-day quarantine with negative COVID-19 really does take place but no news / details for about 2 weeks since the announcement to allow avoidance of 14 day quarantine with negative COVID-19 test. Can you really get a covid 19 test for vacation reason with limited testing available? Will you get results in time? What about that possible false positive? Lots of unanswered questions and risks. I certainly wouldn’t risk it with your valuable 14 night stay unless you are confident of getting your negative COVID-19 results in time, willing to have limited activities available and limited restaurants. A lot can change in next 2 months but online availability of interval International inventory indicates otherwise. Best of luck on your hard decision.

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seriously, MM1 2-br available for 8/1/20 check-in Right now, online just sitting there In II inventory. This shows how much confidence people feel about the 8/1/20 open date with negative coved-19 test.

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like all of the county mayors oppose the August 1 reopening plan.

"The mayors of Honolulu, Hawaii and Kauai counties say their islands are no longer ready to allow incoming trans-Pacific travelers to opt out of the state’s 14-day quarantine"

"If the state does decide to move forward with the Aug. 1 reopening date, Kawakami said he will ask Ige to grant Kauai a grace period to hold off on allowing tourists back to the Garden Isle. "

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
LG says governor will likely postpone Aug. 1 date to reopen tourism

Last edited:

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
From CNN. Daily count in hawaii with red line the 14 day moving average. Definitely increasing trend line
3746E90C-D49E-49C7-A797-F6C8C7701152.png

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Yes, quarantine means only your room, not even out in the hallway. Your latter comment - no leaving villa for 14 days for any reason other than for medical reasons. I suppose you’d have to leave the room if there was a fire alarm. Unless I had an acceptable negative COVID-19 test in hand before I got on the plane I won’t come back, based on 14 day quarantine in place. We are debating on cancelling our 10 day stay mid Sept., 3 nights hotel + 7 at WKORVN, even if weren’t quarantined, because so much is closed.

Quarantine means having groceries delivered or meals delivered. No housekeeping entire 14 days unless Westin is different than Marriott’s policy. Online Safeway didn’t deliver to Marriott for whatever reason and DoorDash had very little options. Better meal delivery food options is thru 808Pickups app, but with Higher priced items, delivery charge, tax and tip on top. We did not try 808 pickups, but had a personal delivery service pick us up groceries at Costco & Safeway. Most places allow her service to put groceries in your fridge so just waiting for you on entry yo your room/villa, but Marriott Maui (Exception) didn’t allow it. Uber might have worked from airport to resort but we packed a lot with 4 suitcases to assist with quarantine, so also used a personal driver with a town car. Good luck with your decision. Restricted options vs non-restricted, but it’s certainly unclear how much may or may not be open. I’d guess more will be open IF avoiding 14-day quarantine with negative COVID-19 really does take place but no news / details for about 2 weeks since the announcement to allow avoidance of 14 day quarantine with negative COVID-19 test. Can you really get a covid 19 test for vacation reason with limited testing available? Will you get results in time? What about that possible false positive? Lots of unanswered questions and risks. I certainly wouldn’t risk it with your valuable 14 night stay unless you are confident of getting your negative COVID-19 results in time, willing to have limited activities available and limited restaurants. A lot can change in next 2 months but online availability of interval International inventory indicates otherwise. Best of luck on your hard decision.

Thanks. I couldn’t find your previous report as I only use TapaTalk.

Just found out that if we cancel our Alaska Air flight (that used a companion pass) that the pass needs to be used by end of year. That sucks.

Looks like we will be cancelling our trip. Arg!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Just found out that if we cancel our Alaska Air flight (that used a companion pass) that the pass needs to be used by end of year. That sucks.

When I cancelled our Alaska Airlines flights to Seattle in May my companion fare was restored through the end of this year. What that means is I have to book something by then, but the flight itslef doesn't need to by made by the end of the year. And since they usually don't restore the companion fare at all if you cancel, I was happy with that.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
25 out of the 28 new cases are in Oahu. It seems that the increase is not due to loosening the restrictions for the local businesses or to the inter-island travel. I wonder why just Oahu has such a large increase.

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score

The Alaska pass needs to be utilized but the flight can be up to about 11 months later, so basically any flight in 2021 up to about end of November

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
25 out of the 28 new cases are in Oahu. It seems that the increase is not due to loosening the restrictions for the local businesses or to the inter-island travel. I wonder why just Oahu has such a large increase.
my guess is the answer is mostly here https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/t...where-masks-were-optional.306770/post-2472451
I did a search and found the same info on several other newsy sites I recognized, so lets all thank Hawaiian Airlines as we each individually find appropriate
Jack

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
The Alaska pass needs to be utilized but the flight can be up to about 11 months later, so basically any flight in 2021 up to about end of November

By utilize does Aslaka mean flight actually flown or just Booked?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
my guess is the answer is mostly here https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/t...where-masks-were-optional.306770/post-2472451
I did a search and found the same info on several other newsy sites I recognized, so lets all thank Hawaiian Airlines as we each individually find appropriate
Jack
Oahu has had the most number of cases aside for that incident. We also do not know if the flight attendants were all from Oahu or if they came from other islands for that meeting. There must have been another important contributing factor why Honolulu is much worse than the others.

1594520558088.png

Status
Not open for further replies.