• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Update - Living the Dream in Yellowstone!

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Girl, you know how much I supported your efforts to do this. I’m really, really glad you had a chance to make this happen. Something about “Never doubt a woman who can throw a bowling ball…” :D

I’ll read the entire blog again, with pleasure. Now, go put those retired feet up for a bit, and relax.

Dave

I appreciate your friendship & support Dave. These days, I travel a lot better than I bowl . . . but I still enjoy both :)

David & I are looking forward to our timeshare vacation to Florida next month . . . plus my sister (Rex's widow) has bought her new "retirement home" in Tennessee. I cannot wait to visit her in just a couple of weeks.

Yes, retirement is fabulous!

Limace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Grand Californian
DVC-Animal Kingdom Kidani
I grew up in Montana and have been keeping an eye on this thread and just went and checked out some of your blog-what an amazing experience-and an interesting idea to contemplate as I near retirement myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I appreciate your friendship & support Dave. These days, I travel a lot better than I bowl . . . but I still enjoy both :)

David & I are looking forward to our timeshare vacation to Florida next month . . . plus my sister (Rex's widow) has bought her new "retirement home" in Tennessee. I cannot wait to visit her in just a couple of weeks.

Yes, retirement is fabulous!

And that is how it begins... I've been retired two and half years already, and I can't believe it. The time has flown. A friend and I joked yesterday about "I'm so busy now, how did I ever have time to work all day?" :D

Looking forward to hearing about your Tennessee visit. I know you've been looking forward to checking out that area. You're going at a good time - later in Fall, when the leaves will have turned, or already fallen, and Winter will be on its way. You'll really be able to see the terrain. Temperatures will be cooler, so it'll be a great visit, and chances are pretty good it'll be nicer than any Winter in Wisconsin. Florida will just be the icing on the cake.

Have a great time!

Dave

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And that is how it begins... I've been retired two and half years already, and I can't believe it. The time has flown. A friend and I joked yesterday about "I'm so busy now, how did I ever have time to work all day?" :D

Looking forward to hearing about your Tennessee visit. I know you've been looking forward to checking out that area. You're going at a good time - later in Fall, when the leaves will have turned, or already fallen, and Winter will be on its way. You'll really be able to see the terrain. Temperatures will be cooler, so it'll be a great visit, and chances are pretty good it'll be nicer than any Winter in Wisconsin. Florida will just be the icing on the cake.

Have a great time!

Dave

I've been to Tennessee several times over the past couple of times, often w/my sister so I have a general idea of the lay of the land. Those trips with her, helped for her to zero in on where she bought this past month.

For David & me together, however, he's not been there other than a couple of timeshare trips to Nashville (which is not on our list for retirement). This will probably be a slow process for us as a couple, and I'm alright with it as our timeline is still spring of 2024, unless something very special turns up before then. (Like the house across the street from my sister . . . at the right price!)

We're also open to and considering SC, GA and FL . . . and do plan on exploring those along the mountains too. I'm not very optimistic about FL however (or TX which is on David's short list as well). So we'll just have to see how things go the coming few months/year.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And that is how it begins... I've been retired two and half years already, and I can't believe it. The time has flown. A friend and I joked yesterday about "I'm so busy now, how did I ever have time to work all day?" :D <<SNIPPED>>

I hope that's the case for me too. I've been so "busy" for so long, I don't want to become bored in retirement.

I'll be continuing my downsizing efforts around here, as there is a lot in this house that we will need to get rid of before moving. Next up on my agenda . . . my personal reading library/book collection. I hate the thought of throwing away books, but some (most business type books) are simply obsolete in this day & age of the internet and 100% real-time information.

I will be looking forward to continuing our work here in Milwaukee with shelter/rescue groups for dogs . . . and fostering when we're home and available. I'm also pretty excited about finally being home and being able to do the rescue transport of dogs from the south to rescue groups up this way, as those animals make their way to their forever homes.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I hope that's the case for me too. I've been so "busy" for so long, I don't want to become bored in retirement.

I'll be continuing my downsizing efforts around here, as there is a lot in this house that we will need to get rid of before moving. Next up on my agenda . . . my personal reading library/book collection. I hate the thought of throwing away books, but some (most business type books) are simply obsolete in this day & age of the internet and 100% real-time information.

I will be looking forward to continuing our work here in Milwaukee with shelter/rescue groups for dogs . . . and fostering when we're home and available. I'm also pretty excited about finally being home and being able to do the rescue transport of dogs from the south to rescue groups up this way, as those animals make their way to their forever homes.

Somehow I doubt you'll ever be bored. You have too much that interests you.

Downsizing is a process - keep reminding yourself that the accumulation happened over time, so it's not reasonable to expect to get rid of things in a short time. One room at a time, or one corner of one room at a time. Keep chipping away at it. It'll happen.

Talk to a Used Book Store or even a Library in your area to see if there is any interest in your books. You may be surprised to find out about "vintage" non-fiction book demands. People like reading up on how things "used to be done." And if they are fiction books of any variety, a Used Book Store may be very interested. A lot of books we enjoyed in our younger days are out of print.

Animal Rescue work is very gratifying. I hope you can find a way to satisfy yourself with that, in whatever way that works out. Our cat was adopted as a kitten from an animal rescue in Seattle. He's now six years old, and I've never seen a cat with more personality. It's a good fit. I'll always be grateful to that organization.

Have fun on your trip!

EDIT: I just read back through your Blog about Yellowstone. So great! You had some amazing adventures. You mentioned some places I've enjoyed visiting, too, and given me some great ideas for future trips! (I haven't been to Thermopolis since 1996. And Livingston needs more exploration than we gave it last time around.) Google Maps says it's only about 9+ hours from here to Jackson or West Yellowstone - a nice day's drive. I'm thinking we're going to need to have some more Road Trip days. :D Thanks again for the Blog posts. It felt a lot like being there in the car with you. If you're serious about repeating this in Summer 2023, I may have to see if we can figure out how we can zoom up there and say Hi. :D

Dave

Last edited:

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Somehow I doubt you'll ever be bored. You have too much that interests you.

Downsizing is a process - keep reminding yourself that the accumulation happened over time, so it's not reasonable to expect to get rid of things in a short time. One room at a time, or one corner of one room at a time. Keep chipping away at it. It'll happen.

Talk to a Used Book Store or even a Library in your area to see if there is any interest in your books. You may be surprised to find out about "vintage" non-fiction book demands. People like reading up on how things "used to be done." And if they are fiction books of any variety, a Used Book Store may be very interested. A lot of books we enjoyed in our younger days are out of print.

<<SNIPPED>>
Dave

I know you're right about downsizing. I actually started with clothes closets back the year of COVID (Dec. 2020) . . . and continued throughout 2021. Now that I'm down 2-4 sizes, a lot got moved out this past summer (while in Montana and no longer fitting) and when I got home a week ago. I worry most about my DH, and "his space" . . . the garage, basement and his home office. I'm sure he'll start soon, as he's been active talking about "getting ready to move" in the next year to 18 months.

As for the books, I have started contacting professional groups/associations/management companies to see if they have any use/interest. We'll see. So far, most have said they either don't have the space (I have roughly 18-20 linear feet of book shelves) or that folks simply don't "read books" any more. That's sad to me, but I do understand. The local library did say they accept donations, but cannot promise they might not simply "recycle" them as paper waste. That would sadden me even more, so who knows.

I have started carrying around a box of books to put into the "Little Free Libraries" wherever I go. I had a box of 10-12 fiction/adventure books that went to Montana with me. They were all taken within a week, the next time I stopped by so that was nice. Business books are general interest enough however, so I will probably need to find a creative way to rehome them.

As for getting bored, it is true I am easily distracted by all of the shiny objects around me so there should be plenty to see/do/experience wherever I am.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
<<SNIPPED>>

EDIT: I just read back through your Blog about Yellowstone. So great! You had some amazing adventures. You mentioned some places I've enjoyed visiting, too, and given me some great ideas for future trips! (I haven't been to Thermopolis since 1996. And Livingston needs more exploration than we gave it last time around.) Google Maps says it's only about 9+ hours from here to Jackson or West Yellowstone - a nice day's drive. I'm thinking we're going to need to have some more Road Trip days. :D Thanks again for the Blog posts. It felt a lot like being there in the car with you. If you're serious about repeating this in Summer 2023, I may have to see if we can figure out how we can zoom up there and say Hi. :D
Dave

Sounds like a great plan. I'll admit, the weekend I made it to Coeur d'Alene, I initially thought about making it over to Seattle rather than spending the time in Montana first. I'm glad I did what I did, but yes it's actually a pretty reasonable trip from your area (AZ) too to Yellowstone. There is a lot to see within the 8-10 hour radius of Yellowstone! We will have to try to connect if timing works out in 2023!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We will have to try to connect if timing works out in 2023!

We'll have to see if we can work it out. Maybe invite some other Tuggers to join us. Not like we all don't have experience traveling. :D

Dave

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have FINALLY gotten around to putting together my Shutterfly book from my summer in Yellowstone. For anyone interested, here is the public link for viewing. It was hard to pick photos to help tell the story. The book ended up with 39 pages and over 160 photos (of nearly 4,000 I took over the 20 weeks I was there).

I generally do these on my/our trips as a way to save and share my experiences. I often think of Rose in the movie Titanic with all of her life's photos around her . . . or Noah reading to Allie as her memory fails her in The Notebook. My photo books will be a way to relive and tell my life's story, when I get older.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
UPDATE RE: 2023

As much as I was hopeful to be returning to work for YPSS in Yellowstone this coming summer, things just didn't line up right for me to return. While both the company & I had entered the employment relationship intending on it being for more than a single year (i.e., "one and done") . . . several unforeseen circumstances affected their ability to bring back both me and my co-worker, especially when the person we both replaced from the 2021 season, decided to come back for 2023. This afforded YPSS the ability to cut some payroll, especially in a year that was financially a loss due to the floods in June 2022.

For me, while initially disappointed, it's allowing me the ability to do some other travel and continue working for bowling later in the year (Sept-Dec). All is good!

susieq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
While I'm sure a huge disappointment, you certainly are taking this well and making the best of it. You have lots of wonderful memories, and I thank you for sharing them all with us. Wishing you only the best...............

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I forgot to say . . . I did book a storm chase class/tour for June (16-25) with the College of DuPage (Illinois). I can't wait to go back out with them again! Here is an article about my 2017 trip with them, published in a major bowling industry magazine.

Attachments

• AA251079EnhancedYB.jpg
    AA251079EnhancedYB.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Not the worst thing that could happen, Von. And now you can plan other things for this Summer. As you say, it’s all good.

Dave