• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buganvilias PV through RCI

SteveH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been looking at exchange possibilities through RCI, II, SFX and Royal Holiday for two weeks in Jan/Feb 23 and the only reasonable option for a 1BR with kitchen seems to be Buganvilias through RCI. In the past I would have grabbed a few extra weeks at Vidanta in NV but I can't really justify the extra fees and won't take a tour. Plus there doesn't seem to be a lot of exchanges online, probably due to pent-up demand.
From various reviews it appears that exchangers usually get older, unrenovated rooms. I've never stayed at this resort and I was wondering if taking a timeshare tour might help snag a renovated room with better view? I'm looking for an additional two weeks somewhere in PV/NV before we move to Flamingos in NV for 3 weeks in Feb/March.
Thanks,
Steve

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
The location for the Buganvilias is awesome! Easy walk to the Malecon and lots of restaurants.

Buganvilias is in process of updating units. As they are being renovated floor by floor, they then tend to use those units for members/owners who have seen the renovated units and upgraded their contracts for those units.

The Jr. Suites are technically 1 bedroom units and even though they have not been renovated yet, they are nice. They do not have balconies however, but a great view of the ocean and town from the living room window.

The Presidential Suites are also 1 bedroom units that have a balcony and kitchens. These have 2 bathrooms. The built-in sofa depth is very short in these units. There is a Murphy Bed in the living room/kitchen of these in addition to a bedroom with a king bed. They do have balconies that are ocean view.

It is possible to get renovated 2-bedroom units with exchanges - sometimes ocean front ones. Master Suite Plus are our favorite ones for Bonus weeks.

https://buganviliasclub.com/accommodations/ is a link to the various units. You can see the floor plans of the units.

We own there and own the Imperial Sky Suite on the 25th floor. It was the first of the renovations and our first year to stay there was Thanksgiving 2012. We have Thanksgiving week each year. We bought in 2011, so unlike Vidanta, we got to use it the year after we bought! :) We also have been Vidanta owners since 1999 at various levels. Next year our Sr. Certs with Vidanta kick in so we will do 2 weeks at GL for free to extend our PV vacation.

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there in December. Had two 2-bedroom units. Had to do the tour to receive upgraded rooms. We declined. The rooms were as dated as anticipated. The beach is not the best. While it was nice to be closer to old PV, we prefer the bells and whistles at the hotels further north in NV.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hi all,
I've been looking at exchange possibilities through RCI, II, SFX and Royal Holiday for two weeks in Jan/Feb 23 and the only reasonable option for a 1BR with kitchen seems to be Buganvilias through RCI.

In the past I would have grabbed a few extra weeks at Vidanta in NV but I can't really justify the extra fees and won't take a tour.

I'm looking for an additional two weeks somewhere in PV/NV before we move to Flamingos in NV for 3 weeks in Feb/March.

FYI -
Buganvillias- RCI D747 - has 2 bedroom in Jan-April 2023 - however they all list as (cash) - extra vacations.
Buganvillias- RCI 1972 - has 1 bedrooms in Jan-April 2023 for TPU's

1 in 4 rule applies / but you can do consecutive weeks in the same year at the same resort ID according to the fine print.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The location for the Buganvilias is awesome! Easy walk to the Malecon and lots of restaurants.

Buganvilias is in process of updating units. As they are being renovated floor by floor, they then tend to use those units for members/owners who have seen the renovated units and upgraded their contracts for those units.

The Jr. Suites are technically 1 bedroom units and even though they have not been renovated yet, they are nice. They do not have balconies however, but a great view of the ocean and town from the living room window.

The Presidential Suites are also 1 bedroom units that have a balcony and kitchens. These have 2 bathrooms. The built-in sofa depth is very short in these units. There is a Murphy Bed in the living room/kitchen of these in addition to a bedroom with a king bed. They do have balconies that are ocean view.

It is possible to get renovated 2-bedroom units with exchanges - sometimes ocean front ones. Master Suite Plus are our favorite ones for Bonus weeks.

https://buganviliasclub.com/accommodations/ is a link to the various units. You can see the floor plans of the units.

We own there and own the Imperial Sky Suite on the 25th floor. It was the first of the renovations and our first year to stay there was Thanksgiving 2012. We have Thanksgiving week each year. We bought in 2011, so unlike Vidanta, we got to use it the year after we bought! :) We also have been Vidanta owners since 1999 at various levels. Next year our Sr. Certs with Vidanta kick in so we will do 2 weeks at GL for free to extend our PV vacation.

Hi Phyllis. Are the Jr Suites the inventory given to exchangers ? I thought that the 1 bed units at Buganvilias had decks. Are the Jr Suites located in the hotel building ? We have two weeks reserved in a one bed sleep 4 through exchange but could still cancel.

Thanks

Bill

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
It depends on inventory at the time. Sometimes you get the Presidential ones. Look at the Accommodations link https://buganviliasclub.com/accommodations/ Click on the View link in the middle of the picture to see the units and floor plans.

While I like a deck, we have spent many vacations in the Jr. Suites because we had bought 2 weeks on eBay back in 2003. We kind of liked them because the units were comfortable with the 2 sofas (really mattresses with bolster pillows and throw pillows on the back). Jr. Suites are in the building closest to town. Building D

The 1-bedroom, 2-bath Presidential are also considered one bedroom units. They can be split in to Hotel units and Studio units. In the Studio side, you have a kitchen, breakfast bar & bar stools, Murphy bed (maybe a queen), the sofa is built along the wall beside the Murphy bed and is less than 24" deep with a 3-4" cushion and small pillow behind it against the concrete wall. These are in the Tower building looking at the ocean. You need to be higher than the 17th floor (7 floors up) to actually see the ocean. The deck is maybe 4 feet wide. It will have 2 plastic chairs on it. These are in Building A

Once when we got 3 nights free from SFX, we were in the Presidential. While we prefer having 2 bathrooms, we would choose a Jr. Suite over the Presidential any day. You can see the ocean and town from the large window in the living room of a Jr. Suite, and the window does open for fresh air and hearing the waves.

We bought an Imperial Suite in 2010 (ebay for $5.50 including closing) that had the same style sofas as the Presidential and only stayed in it once. It was not comfortable sitting to read in the evening. While there in 2011, we upgraded our 2 Jr. Suites and Imperial Suite to the Imperial Sky Suite and now have no problem. Best unit they have on the 25th floor on the town side and we have a huge balcony, comfy furniture, 3 nicely remodeled bathrooms, 2 kitchens, 2 king beds, 2 twins (sofa), and a king sofa bed. We use our Bonus week to get a 2-bedroom 2-bath Master Suite Plus that is ocean front. It is not as snazzy as the Sky Suite, but is comfy - has the same sofas with different covers and thicker cushions as the Jr. Suites, but a large deck and as close to the ocean as you can get.. It also is in Building D

There are 4 Buildings - I put a list of room numbers together a few years ago.

Buganvilas Building Numbers

11xx is the 1st floor and 20xx (10th floor) 25xx (15th floor.)

Building A - the Tower xx47-66 ocean view – faces pool and ocean - 15 stories high

Building B xx87-92 low building ocean front - about 5 stories high - seldom available for exchange

Building C xx81-86 facing toward pool and ocean view on higher levels - balconies - about 6 stories high

Building D xx67-80 windows facing toward town and ocean 67, 79, 80 have balconies - 9 stories high

Free WIFI in the units for owners. Exchangers had to pay for the code. In 2015, there were routers in each room.

Last edited:

rpennisi

Reaction score
FYI -
Buganvillias- RCI D747 - has 2 bedroom in Jan-April 2023 - however they all list as (cash) - extra vacations.
Buganvillias- RCI 1972 - has 1 bedrooms in Jan-April 2023 for TPU's

1 in 4 rule applies / but you can do consecutive weeks in the same year at the same resort ID according to the fine print.
I booked through RCI the last two weeks for next January (2023) after chatting online with an RCI rep to determine if I was eligible since I was there two years ago. I own EOY studio which I always bank. I made the trade bec I was told it was okay. Several days later, I got a call from RCI saying that Buganvilea rejected the trade, bec of 1 in 4 rule even though I am an "owner". So we had to quick switch to Park Royal, Los Tules for the two weeks. I hope that was not a mistake as the reviews are mixed. I was looking forward to staying at Buganvilea bec of the restaurants and closeness to central PV.
Then I booked a one Bedroom Grand Bliss for earlier January. Low TPUs but $600 resort fee, again as an "owner" I was told that this trade was okay. Time will tell if we will get rejected again.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It depends on inventory at the time. Sometimes you get the Presidential ones. Look at the Accommodations link https://buganviliasclub.com/accommodations/ Click on the View link in the middle of the picture to see the units and floor plans.

While I like a deck, we have spent many vacations in the Jr. Suites because we had bought 2 weeks on eBay back in 2003. We kind of liked them because the units were comfortable with the 2 sofas (really mattresses with bolster pillows and throw pillows on the back). Jr. Suites are in the building closest to town. Building D

The 1-bedroom, 2-bath Presidential are also considered one bedroom units. They can be split in to Hotel units and Studio units. In the Studio side, you have a kitchen, breakfast bar & bar stools, Murphy bed (maybe a queen), the sofa is built along the wall beside the Murphy bed and is less than 24" deep with a 3-4" cushion and small pillow behind it against the concrete wall. These are in the Tower building looking at the ocean. You need to be higher than the 17th floor (7 floors up) to actually see the ocean. The deck is maybe 4 feet wide. It will have 2 plastic chairs on it. These are in Building A

Once when we got 3 nights free from SFX, we were in the Presidential. While we prefer having 2 bathrooms, we would choose a Jr. Suite over the Presidential any day. You can see the ocean and town from the large window in the living room of a Jr. Suite, and the window does open for fresh air and hearing the waves.

We bought an Imperial Suite in 2010 (ebay for $5.50 including closing) that had the same style sofas as the Presidential and only stayed in it once. It was not comfortable sitting to read in the evening. While there in 2011, we upgraded our 2 Jr. Suites and Imperial Suite to the Imperial Sky Suite and now have no problem. Best unit they have on the 25th floor on the town side and we have a huge balcony, comfy furniture, 3 nicely remodeled bathrooms, 2 kitchens, 2 king beds, 2 twins (sofa), and a king sofa bed. We use our Bonus week to get a 2-bedroom 2-bath Master Suite Plus that is ocean front. It is not as snazzy as the Sky Suite, but is comfy - has the same sofas with different covers and thicker cushions as the Jr. Suites, but a large deck and as close to the ocean as you can get.. It also is in Building D

There are 4 Buildings - I put a list of room numbers together a few years ago.

Buganvilas Building Numbers

11xx is the 1st floor and 20xx (10th floor) 25xx (15th floor.)

Building A - the Tower xx47-66 ocean view – faces pool and ocean - 15 stories high

Building B xx87-92 low building ocean front - about 5 stories high - seldom available for exchange

Building C xx81-86 facing toward pool and ocean view on higher levels - balconies - about 6 stories high

Building D xx67-80 windows facing toward town and ocean 67, 79, 80 have balconies - 9 stories high

Free WIFI in the units for owners. Exchangers had to pay for the code. In 2015, there were routers in each room.

Thanks Phyllis. I think we will keep our exchanges. There aren't too many non-all inclusive options available for exchange in Mexico.

Bill

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I booked through RCI the last two weeks for next January (2023) after chatting online with an RCI rep to determine if I was eligible since I was there two years ago. I own EOY studio which I always bank. I made the trade bec I was told it was okay. Several days later, I got a call from RCI saying that Buganvilea rejected the trade, bec of 1 in 4 rule even though I am an "owner". So we had to quick switch to Park Royal, Los Tules for the two weeks. I hope that was not a mistake as the reviews are mixed. I was looking forward to staying at Buganvilea bec of the restaurants and closeness to central PV.
Then I booked a one Bedroom Grand Bliss for earlier January. Low TPUs but $600 resort fee, again as an "owner" I was told that this trade was okay. Time will tell if we will get rejected again.

Try SFX for your Buganvilias Exchange. They do not have the 1-in rule, and if you have a Diamond Membership, you can get a 1-bedroom for that Studio. We always trade our PBEB 1-bedroom through SF for a 2-bedroom unit at Buganvillias.

rpennisi

Reaction score
Try SFX for your Buganvilias Exchange. They do not have the 1-in rule, and if you have a Diamond Membership, you can get a 1-bedroom for that Studio. We always trade our PBEB 1-bedroom through SF for a 2-bedroom unit at Buganvillias.
Thanks Phyllis. I'll have to look into SFX.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
....... So we had to quick switch to Park Royal, Los Tules for the two weeks.
I hope that was not a mistake as the reviews are mixed.

Park Royal Los Tules reviews seem OK . (ie) I usually skip over the whiners & the type who complain about no dishwashers at Vidanta etc.
No elevators however.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I hadn't thought of this. We are Diamond and have access to studios.

Bill

rpennisi

Reaction score
Park Royal Los Tules reviews seem OK . (ie) I usually skip over the whiners & the type who complain about no dishwashers at Vidanta etc.
No elevators however.
Three problems I see are: no elevators, building 6 and the loud music from a nearby club, no umbrellas for shade at the pools.
I'm hoping RCI gets me a room away from building 6 and that there are enough palm trees to provide some shade at the pools.
From what I have read, there are several companies trading/owning at Park Royal Los Tules.

rpennisi

Reaction score
I have a LV TS (Polo Towers) that is a Diamond resort. I deposited my 2022 week into their own exchange (deposit good for 5 years). I was thinking of doing the same with my 2023 week in order to trade those two weeks into Cabo. The LV week rates a level 5 on their exchange. I have a feeling this is similar to the keys that EricB has referred to on Third Home(?). Grand Luxxe is level 6, Grand Mayan is level 5. You can use a 5 to get a 6 for an extra fee in addition to the exchange fee. Diamond Xchange gives owners a 10 year membership for no additional fees.

SteveH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lots of good info in this thread. I've got so many points backing-up with RCI expiring in September, that I think I'll go ahead and book two weeks here and try to get an updated Imperial suite. We'll grit our teeth and take a tour if it helps getting a nicer unit. BTW how bad are the 'tours' at this resort? ie: compared with Vidanta?
Steve

rpennisi

Reaction score
Lots of good info in this thread. I've got so many points backing-up with RCI expiring in September, that I think I'll go ahead and book two weeks here and try to get an updated Imperial suite. We'll grit our teeth and take a tour if it helps getting a nicer unit. BTW how bad are the 'tours' at this resort? ie: compared with Vidanta?
Steve
I never went on a "tour" of Buganvilea, except for the one we went to in 2002 when we purchased an EOY studio. We used the studio once, deposited all the future weeks into RCI, and then used those to trade into one bedroom Buganvilea suites or Grand Mayan suites in the winter months. That was before all the 1 in 4 rules went into effect. The last deposit got us 20 TPs. Must say, I was disappointed that we got those two weeks negated for next January :confused:.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Steve
At the moment, there are only 4 updated Imperial Suites. The Imperial Suites are the ones on either end of floors 18-25, so a total of 16 at the entire resort. They have completed the ones on the 25th floor - Sky Suites and the 24th floor - Ambassador Suites. They will eventually do floors 18-23 and they will be Ambassador. So, it will be difficult to get one of those. It will depend on when you go. Many of the Imperial Sky Suites are fixed weeks. We bought week 47 because 12 of our 15 years it was Thanksgiving week and that is when our family prefers to travel. So, a large % of the December - March weeks will not be available at all. The units on the Ambassador floor(s) are floating weeks.

They do 1 floor at a time and it usually takes a year. They have done the 11th,17th, 24th, & 25th floors in Tower A, all of Building B and some of the units in Building D and have plans to start on Building C. Covid basically stopped reno for 2 years.

Most of the 2-bedroom units are nice - the ones in Building B and D have been remodeled and are ocean front.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I have a feeling this is similar to the keys that EricB has referred to on Third Home(?).

I'm not familiar with the levels you mentioned, but my impression is that they represent a grading or tiering of different weeks that you can exchange for on a week for week basis. The keys in ThirdHome work differently, more like a currency or point system. The weeks I typically deposit with them get me 9 keys, which I can then use to book 3 weeks that cost 3 keys each, or any combination that I have enough keys to cover. I've seen a few where folks set their own key values at 20 keys for a week - you are allowed to name your own price in keys up to 50% higher than it would ordinarily cost for that place in that season.

SteveH

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the moment, there are only 4 updated Imperial Suites. The Imperial Suites are the ones on either end of floors 18-25, so a total of 16 at the entire resort. They have completed the ones on the 25th floor - Sky Suites and the 24th floor - Ambassador Suites. They will eventually do floors 18-23 and they will be Ambassador. So, it will be difficult to get one of those. It will depend on when you go. Many of the Imperial Sky Suites are fixed weeks. We bought week 47 because 12 of our 15 years it was Thanksgiving week and that is when our family prefers to travel. So, a large % of the December - March weeks will not be available at all. The units on the Ambassador floor(s) are floating weeks.

They do 1 floor at a time and it usually takes a year. They have done the 11th,17th, 24th, & 25th floors in Tower A, all of Building B and some of the units in Building D and have plans to start on Building C. Covid basically stopped reno for 2 years.

Most of the 2-bedroom units are nice - the ones in Building B and D have been remodeled and are ocean front.
What I meant to say was I'd like to try and get an updated Presidential Suite. We'd definitely prefer the extra bathroom, bathtub and deck space, regardless of view. Are there very many of these suites that have been upgraded?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
What I meant to say was I'd like to try and get an updated Presidential Suite. We'd definitely prefer the extra bathroom, bathtub and deck space, regardless of view. Are there very many of these suites that have been upgraded?

The Presidential suites are being updated to be Ambassador suites. On the 25th floor, there are Presidential Sky Suites. You'd be pretty unlikely to get one for doing a tour. That being said, it doesn't hurt to ask. You might be able to persuade them to upgrade you down Ambassador suite. I think they've done 4 or 5 floors of those upgrades so far.

The tours at Buganvilias aren't bad. Definitely not the same high pressure you get at Vidanta.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We like the extra bathroom even when it is just the 2 of us - we do at home too! :) The updated Presidential Suites are nice. There will be more of those available than Imperial Suites that have 2 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms.

pharmacistking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Bella
SDO
The Grandview Las Vegas
MVC Grand Chateau
The Presidential suites are being updated to be Ambassador suites. On the 25th floor, there are Presidential Sky Suites. You'd be pretty unlikely to get one for doing a tour. That being said, it doesn't hurt to ask. You might be able to persuade them to upgrade you down Ambassador suite. I think they've done 4 or 5 floors of those upgrades so far.

The tours at Buganvilias aren't bad. Definitely not the same high pressure you get at Vidanta.

Are there a specific tower or room type to ask for to have better chances of getting a renovated unit?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are there a specific tower or room type to ask for to have better chances of getting a renovated unit?

It all really depends on what you’re looking for, but the reservation folks have always been quite accommodating with letting me choose a unit or even reschedule an exchange week there. It helps that we own there and I go in person to talk to them about it. They won’t move you up in room size and are unlikely to be able to give you a sky suite, but you can ask for one by the ocean or with a better view.

Typically, if you have an exchange into a 1 BR it will be a Junior suite or a presidential. I like the Junior suites better. A 2 BR would likely be a master suite, which you can ask about location and try to get an ocean view rather than a pool view. I don’t think they put exchanges into the Ambassador suites yet.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Yes, the Buganvilias staff have been quite accommodating in letting me reschedule my RCI exchange twice!
I exchanged in January 2020 for November that year; the 1st year of Covid. I could have cancelled and gotten my HGVC points back, but Buganvilias reservations really seemed to want me to keep the exchange and offered to reschedule to the following year, 2021.
Then in 2021, I wasn't quite feeling ready for Mexico travel, and they let me reschedule again to October-November this year. Unknowingly we chose the week that coincides with Day of the Dead. So it may be quite crowded, but very festive. We are going, no matter what.

Ours is a 2 bdrm exchange, so probably will get a master suite with no view. I certainly don't expect any great placement, considering Day of the Dead and 2 deferrals :)

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, the Buganvilias staff have been quite accommodating in letting me reschedule my RCI exchange twice!
I exchanged in January 2020 for November that year; the 1st year of Covid. I could have cancelled and gotten my HGVC points back, but Buganvilias reservations really seemed to want me to keep the exchange and offered to reschedule to the following year, 2021.
Then in 2021, I wasn't quite feeling ready for Mexico travel, and they let me reschedule again to October-November this year. Unknowingly we chose the week that coincides with Day of the Dead. So it may be quite crowded, but very festive. We are going, no matter what.

Ours is a 2 bdrm exchange, so probably will get a master suite with no view. I certainly don't expect any great placement, considering Day of the Dead and 2 deferrals :)

They will already know what unit you’re assigned. You can call and ask about options to adjust it.