• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Who's Winning America's Electric Vehicle Race?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Excellent article with dollars and cents comparison of operational costs of essentially the same vehicle with either fully gas drive train vs. electric.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
An overview in 2 slides
32e17d1c63d500548b1372639ae1ef7a.jpg

52d10134a69e0dc703e6b0a8261370fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Here's someone who was very unhappy with his Tesla, so unhappy he gave it to a group to blow it up on video. The owner, from Finland paid $95,000 for the Tesla model S, and it ran fine for 930 miles. Then the error codes started showing up and a dealer told him it would cost $23,000 to replace the battery. Instead, he gave it to the group to blow it up.

https://nypost.com/2021/12/24/tesla-explodes-after-mechanics-charge-man-23k-for-new-battery/

I don’t own a Tesla and probably never will as our vehicle use is down significantly since retirement - I personally know dozens of people who own one.
Every single one of them loves their Tesla.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Here's someone who was very unhappy with his Tesla, so unhappy he gave it to a group to blow it up on video.
Publicity stunt. Seems like they are getting their money's worth from all the "electric vehicles are evil" crowd...

Kurt

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those giant lithium batteries spontaneously combusting have become a problem with buses in Paris. Two of them have gone up in flames within a month. Here is a video on the most recent one: (It was lucky no one was on the bus when it went up)

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lithium Battery manufacturing is still relatively new. A small mistake either in the design, the manufacturing process, or quality control is a problem waiting to happen.

I can think of several instances where poor design become a problem for ICE vehicles. Corvairs, Vegas, Pintos, some Ford Explorers with Firestone tires.

People died as a result in these vehicles.

Battery tech will get better.

The biggest problem is still lack of Lithium and the run up in prices for Lithium

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lithium Battery manufacturing is still relatively new. A small mistake either in the design, the manufacturing process, or quality control is a problem waiting to happen.

I can think of several instances where poor design become a problem for ICE vehicles. Corvairs, Vegas, Pintos, some Ford Explorers with Firestone tires.

People died as a result in these vehicles.

Battery tech will get better.

The biggest problem is still lack of Lithium and the run up in prices for Lithium

If there had been people on that bus, would they have had time to get off? I don't think so.

It is not just lithium batteries in buses. GM recalled every Chevy Bolt it ever made because the lithium batteries were prone to spontaneous combustion, and advised anyone keeping the cars not to park them within 50 feet of a building or another car. When one checks in for a flight, they are asked if they have any lithium batteries, and that is because a jetliner went down some years ago in Florida killing all aboard when smaller lithium batteries being carried as cargo spontaneously combusted in flight. There have also been major fires in the giant lithium batteries used for wind / solar storage in Belgium, Australia, and South Korea when the huge batteries spontaneously combusted.

Most buses run on diesel fuel, which does not catch fire very readily and when it does, it does not burn so rapidly. There are much safer electric buses, namely the trolleybuses of eastern Europe, which have a mast that contacts an overhead power line for electricity, much like a streetcar does. I have rode trolleybuses many times and would again, but NOT one of the lithium battery buses.

It is probably wise that Paris has removed all of those lithium battery buses from service, but one wonders what other cities may be using the same bus. Lithium burns very hot and its fumes are toxic. That combined with the speed that the fire took over the bus could easily make it a death trap if people were aboard. A car is not as bad. Some months ago, a guy was driving a Tesla down the street in Pennsylvania and its battery spontaneously combusted, but he was able to jump out and get away before it was consumed in flames. A bus full of people would not be so lucky.

Last edited:

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
A couple of years ago the entire Moto E (racing E motorcycles) garage burned to the ground and all the bikes were destroyed.

Batteries aren’t green and electric cars don’t run on unicorn tears.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Carolinian, I get your bias against lithium batteries, and acknowledge that there have been instances of them igniting. But I maintain that they pose much less risk than the mi!lions of vehicles and refueling stations and fuel storage containers, pipelines and drilling and distributing systems worldwide that we simply have no choice but to accept as a 'reasonable risk'.

The design, manufacture and eventual recycling of lithium can, and will be addressed as the industry matures. That it didn't precede the invention and implementation of the new technology is not sufficient to curtail advancement and research into making it safer and more productive.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
It is not just lithium batteries in buses. GM recalled every Chevy Bolt it ever made because the lithium batteries were prone to spontaneous combustion, and advised anyone keeping the cars not to park them within 50 feet of a building or another car.
And how many Bolt EV's caught on fire?

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a realist. EV's are here to stay for now. There are problems to be sure.

Bill Ford (yes that Bill Ford) made some statement last week about Lithium supply and how it may impact the deliveries of the new Ford Lighting.

I would bet the buses in France are no longer in service. Yes, there was the potential for a disaster, but it did not occcur.

I would sure like more of the backstory before I passed judgement based on a youtube video.

They will get the problems worked out.

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And how many Bolt EV's caught on fire?
[crickets] The answer is 16 confirmed, 1 suspected out of over a hundred thousand units produced.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
It appears that the buses in Paris were using a battery technology known as LMP.
The busses were manufactured by Bollore' according to news reports.

This is the link to the website that is a promotion for the battery technology the company is using

Electricity storage and systems - Bolloré (bollore.com)

"It has developed a unique technology in the form of Lithuim Metal Polymer (LMP®) batteries, produced by its Blue Solutions subsidiary. Using this technology, the Group has diversified into mobile applications (car-sharing systems and electric cars, buses and trams) and battery-driven stationary applications, as well as systems for managing these applications (IER, Polyconseil).

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Lithium based batteries can be safe. Did you know lithium based batteries are used to power pacemakers?

Some 40 years ago I worked for a company that made lithium based batteries for electronic heart pacers. They had very stringent safety precautions in the manufacturing area. In my entire time there they never had an accident or fire.

The same or similar technology is still used today to power pacemakers. I did a search and didn't find one article about a pacemaker battery combusting. I did find some about issues during cremation, go figure, but none about fire or small explosions.

There have been cases where lithium battery powered items like hover boards have burned. But in every case that I've read about the issue hasn't been the chemicals. It's been about the containment of the chemicals that's failed.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lithium based batteries can be safe. Did you know lithium based batteries are used to power pacemakers?

Some 40 years ago I worked for a company that made lithium based batteries for electronic heart pacers. They had very stringent safety precautions in the manufacturing area. In my entire time there they never had an accident or fire.

The same or similar technology is still used today to power pacemakers. I did a search and didn't find one article about a pacemaker battery combusting. I did find some about issues during cremation, go figure, but none about fire or small explosions.

There have been cases where lithium battery powered items like hover boards have burned. But in every case that I've read about the issue hasn't been the chemicals. It's been about the containment of the chemicals that's failed.

Small lithium batteries carried as cargo on a passenger jet spontaneously combusted in flight over the Everglades some years ago, crashing the plane and killing all aboard. That is why at check-in at the airport, you are asked if you have any lithium batteries.

The speed with which the fire tore through that Paris bus would have made it a death trap if people were aboard. I don't think I want to ride on one of those buses.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Small lithium batteries carried as cargo on a passenger jet spontaneously combusted in flight over the Everglades some years ago, crashing the plane and killing all aboard. That is why at check-in at the airport, you are asked if you have any lithium batteries.

The speed with which the fire tore through that Paris bus would have made it a death trap if people were aboard. I don't think I want to ride on one of those buses.
The buses in Paris have a serious problem. After reading about the fires, there is a serious problem in the design somewhere. I would not judge all lithium products based on these items. But I do agree, I would not ride in those buses.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Those giant lithium batteries spontaneously combusting have become a problem with buses in Paris. Two of them have gone up in flames within a month. Here is a video on the most recent one: (It was lucky no one was on the bus when it went up)

Ouch, i think i will ride my bike.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any product using components that have the potential for dangerous explosions require care and good design.

How do you react when you see somebody filling their car with gas and having a lit cigarette dangling from their mouth?

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Any product using components that have the potential for dangerous explosions require care and good design.

How do you react when you see somebody filling their car with gas and having a lit cigarette dangling from their mouth?
I fill up at another gas station down the road.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is not just lithium batteries in buses. GM recalled every Chevy Bolt it ever made because the lithium batteries were prone to spontaneous combustion, and advised anyone keeping the cars not to park them within 50 feet of a building or another car. .
Ford recalls 39,000 U.S. SUVs after engine fire reports

WASHINGTON, May 19 (Reuters) - Ford Motor Company said Thursday it was recalling 39,000 SUVs after reports of 16 fires, and has advised owners to park their vehicles outdoors and away from structures until a fix is completed.​
The recall, which covers some 2021 model year Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator vehicles, was prompted as an engine compartment fire could occur while the car is parked or being driven, even with the ignition off, the No. 2 U.S. automaker said.​

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ford recalls 39,000 U.S. SUVs after engine fire reports

WASHINGTON, May 19 (Reuters) - Ford Motor Company said Thursday it was recalling 39,000 SUVs after reports of 16 fires, and has advised owners to park their vehicles outdoors and away from structures until a fix is completed.​
The recall, which covers some 2021 model year Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator vehicles, was prompted as an engine compartment fire could occur while the car is parked or being driven, even with the ignition off, the No. 2 U.S. automaker said.​
How many years has Ford had to get it right when it comes to Gasoline as a combustible!!