• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bacon may disappear in California as pig rules take effect

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pork producer issues warning over new California pig law: Initial prices could spike up to 50%

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
These activist propositions usually aren't well worded. Well, they are worded in a way so they will pass.

Ballot Subtitle: Establishes New Standards For Confinement Of Specified Farm Animals; Bans Sale Of Noncomplying Products. Initiative Statute.
Ballot text: Establishes minimum requirements for confining certain farm animals. Prohibits sales of meat and egg products from animals confined in noncomplying manner. Fiscal Impact: Potential decrease in state income tax revenues from farm businesses, likely not more than several million dollars annually. State costs up to $10 million annually to enforce the measure.

Now had they instead worded the proposition to say;
Ballot Subtitle: Establishes New Standards For Confinement Of Specified Farm Animals; Bans Sale Of Noncomplying Products and will cause you to have to pay at least 50% more for pork, veal and eggs.

Would it have passed with the above text instead? It's already going to cost the state millions of dollars to enforce. The problem here is also that if farmers to conform, it will likely cause the price of pork to go up for every other state too as they likely will just spread the costs across all port that is sold, not just pork sold in CA.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Nothing new here. Take a look at the history of 'Real ID act' in the USA. Enacted in 2005 to curb terrorism, and STILL not in effect. <shrug>
Interestingly though, in the 16 years non compliance really hasn't caused more issues or more terrorism. Seems like REAL ID is a waste of money to force federal measures on the states.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
At times like this, in the middle of a pandemic, I'm glad my government is focused on the really important things, IMO. It also means I will be able to continue to enjoy my pork chops, bacon and veal, without any apologies.
Don't worry they will introduce some yummy vegan beacon.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rules made by people that know very little about their rules seem to be popular in California and other places. I like the rule that no vehicle without a driver can travel over 60 mph. One good thing might be hobby farmers in CA might make some money selling pork at the farmers markets. They will likely buy it in bulk in Oregon and Nevada and claim they raised it gmo free.

Bill
Rules the rule makers will not be following.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Are all those stupid labels on everything around California also because of a law voted in or was it put in by the legislature. You know, those signs you see walking into a place that says certain items there may cause cancer. See them on certain products you buy too. Are they really effective?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
After reading this thread, I have lost interest in eating anything from pigs. I never ate bacon anyway as I think it is pretty disgusting. I rarely ate pig or beef products and only started eating pork every now and then in order to increase my protein intake. I think I will go back to being a semi-vegetarian who does not eat red meat. It is easy to forget you are eating animals.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I never liked pork too much. I can't remember that last time I had bacon, yuk. It's been years. The last pork I had was in Hawaii decades ago and it wasn't very good. Thinking about it, I did have spam musubi from the mini mart in Hawaii and it was delicious. I have this every visit so Spam on rice is ok once in a while. Especially with hot soy sauce. yum.

Bill

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
spam.jpg

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I love bacon, and pork. Spam................yuck.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Its great in scrambled eggs too. If you can't get bacon try it. :cool:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
What Is Spam? Spam is a canned cooked meat product made from ground pork and processed ham. The meat mixture is combined with preservatives and flavoring agents, such as sugar, salt, potato starch and sodium nitrite, and then canned, closed and vacuum-sealed.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Its great in scrambled eggs too. If you can't get bacon try it. :cool:

I never have liked eggs or bacon or pork or bread or milk but I do like Spam.

Bill

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was in the Army, occasionally we were tasked to a future weapons project. Long story short, this one time it was a future rations development. The worst, and most memorable, Hormel submitted “Spam-A-Loaf” (was actually written on the side of the can). This was a 1’x1’x2’ can of spam (one can should feed 50 soldiers). The top came off like a sardine can, and when you turned it over to get the product out it made a sucking sound like a can of wet dog food. When the gelatinous mass hit the table, it wiggled like a massive can of wet dog food as well. We counted seven (7) different colors in the meat. Not one guy in our company (apx 75 soldiers) would touch the stuff. The Hawaiian Samoan’s we had in the unit said it did not smell like Spam and refused to eat it. We attempted to return it as inedible. HQ refused, said we had to eat it. We refused and buried it out in the field. Not all Spam is good Spam.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you ever find yourself near interstate 90 near Austin MN, the Spam Museum is worth a visit!

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
My extended family is from the Austin MN area. Many worked for Hormel and some farmed and raised pigs on the side to sell to Hormel.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I get a taste for spam once a year like clockwork. Cliff goes along with it and eats what's put in front of him. We fry it and have it with scrambled eggs and biscuits for breakfast both weekend days, then that's it for another year!

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Waitress: Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam;

Vikings (starting to chant): Spam spam spam spam...

Waitress: ...spam spam spam egg and spam; spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam...

Vikings (singing): Spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam!

Waitress: ...or Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam.

Wife: Have you got anything without spam?

Waitress: Well, there's spam egg sausage and spam, that's not got much spam in it.

--- Monty Python, 1987