• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My new kitchen toy - Sous Vide heater [MERGED]

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I have the Joule, the downside is that you have to use a smart app to use it.

The Joule has recipes built into the app, so if you are new to sous vide you can get started quickly. It is great with chicken because you can be assured that it is fully cooked before you fry it.

If you buy one look into buying a cover and weights.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok, I'm in. Costco has the Anova Sous Vid kit on sale for $149.00 . The sale ends today. It includes the container and can use wifi. Looking forward to some tasty eats.

Bill
Anova is a good brand.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you buy one look into buying a cover and weights.

I bought a bunch of stasher bags (food grade silicone bags) and weights wrapped in food grade silicone. So I put the weight in the bag, then the food (with any aromatics or basting liquids) then seal it up and put the bag in the water.

I'm a little leary about heating zip lock bags for long periods of time. Some people use a vacuum sealer (food saver) but I wanted something re-usable for cost reasons.

I also bought a cheap camping cooler and cut a hole in the lid the size of my sous vide stick (covered the opening with marine tape). That reduces heat loss (saving energy). That isn't necessary, but I do hundreds of hours of sous vide per year and like saving money.

Reactions: DrQ

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
... Some people use a vacuum sealer (food saver) but I wanted something re-usable for cost reasons.
I have a foodsaver and if you make the bag large, you can snip off the top inch or so and clean the bag and use it again. I use the rolls where you seal the top and bottom to make a bag.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Could you use a zip lock ? I was thinking this would work good at our timeshares in Mexico and don't want to haul a food saver.

Bill

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Could you use a zip lock ? I was thinking this would work good at our timeshares in Mexico and don't want to haul a food saver.

Bill
You can, but they can leak at the zipper. Use the heavy duty freezer grade. You'll also find that binder clips can come in handy.

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score

Bill

Absolutely. That's what I used to do. Its fine for most usage if you use heavy duty ones. I bought the silicone bags because sometimes I do a 36 hour cook, which is asking a lot for a ziplock bag.

Most food 2-3 hours is fine (steaks, chicken, pork chops).

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Absolutely. That's what I used to do. Its fine for most usage if you use heavy duty ones. I bought the silicone bags because sometimes I do a 36 hour cook, which is asking a lot for a ziplock bag.

Most food 2-3 hours is fine (steaks, chicken, pork chops).

What are you cooking for 36 hours ?

Bill

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I saw a Sous Vide machine at Costco the other day for only $150. I have done Sous Vide before, but just used my own pot. I wonder if these bags would work from Amazon. We bought a bunch to travel with. We aren't using them for food, but they are great for packing small things in. Wife uses them for makeup and I have a whole mess of loose cords in another. They seem pretty durable, are washable and I doubt they would leak;

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
This might be the ticket for my Tampa home. In Carlsbad, I can grill and smoke outside year round. But, standing over charcoal in 90 degree heat or a thunderstorm isn’t so fun and I miss my steaks!

although with the price of meat these days, I might have to see if it can grill dog food.
I used mine today! It's great to start your steak. Today I took it straight out of the freezer. It's so handy for me! I can start the sous vide feature and my steak is ready for me when I am ready to sear it. This works great during the weeks I work from home.

My diet consists of almost exclusively carnivore. You'd be surprised how much you can save when you cut everything else out. My financial advisor cannot believe how little I spend on food, and I am buying the best quality eggs and meats. Believe me, Phoenix is no place to be grilling outdoors in the summertime.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are you cooking for 36 hours ?

Bill

Anything you'd braise - low and slow breaks down the collagen in connective tissues to gelatin.

Mostly for me that has been large chuck roasts (make beef on a bun for a crowd) or pork shoulder. I know purists will scoff at pulled pork from an immersion cooker, but just like cooking outdoors in Phoenix isn't ideal in August, cooking outdoors isn't great in Calgary in January. So I'll smoke it for an hour and then finish it in the sous vide for 36 more with a bit of liquid smoke. Not as good as a pure smoke but still decent.

I've never done a turkey but am tempted. I'd do it in pieces, then sous vide, then deep fry for the crust.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband swears by his Sous Vide. He says it makes the best boiled eggs ever.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've never done a turkey but am tempted. I'd do it in pieces, then sous vide, then deep fry for the crust.
Definitely ... too much air in the cavity. You can also start the dark meat before the white meat.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pan Sear or grill works for me, If I was going to do that, I would look at:

More POWER! You could use it for household chores. I wouldn't use MAPP, I would go with propane. MAPP is very hot, used for brazing.

ETA: Lesson to me RTFM. Yeah it looks like a good attachment. I would still use propane - cheaper and a cooler.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So far, I have cooked a few items in the Sous Vide. I started with New York select grade and 5 hours of Sous Vide and about 90 seconds of searing on each side. Not too bad, very tender, I like it. Next was Sirloin select grade for 24 hours of Sous Vide and 90 seconds of searing on each side. Not too bad, very tender but not as good as the New York. Last night I tried out a real tough chunk of bottom round roast. It was Sous Vide for about 48 hours because I forgot it was cooking in the other room. This seems right for sandwich or wraps. It is very tasty and tender. There were a few pieces of muscle that I didn't try but Rex really like them.

The torch searing tool arrived so maybe I will be trying that soon. Having beef three nights in a week is a bit much for me. I will be trying chicken next week. Chicken seems like it is tender enough so maybe not.

My thought is Sous Vide does enhance a less expensive cut of beef but buying Prime cuts of steaks at Costco just seems to be what I like because it taste better, cooks faster and I'm just not that into beef as I am salmon.

Bill

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't think Sous Vide is really ideal for small meals. Large prep kitchens use this (think feeding masses of people) because you can cook something for as long as you want and it won't really go bad because it is being kept at a safe temperature. So they can have hundreds of pounds of food cooking and prepped. I think that for things like chuck roast or even pork shoulder, the slow cooker or pressure cooker does a better and faster job.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
So it appears to take 5 to 48 hours to cook meat in a Sous Vida. What is the draw? Grilling a nice T-Bone: 30 minutes to get the charcoal ready. 10 minutes or less to cook the steak. Drink a Beer while Steak is on the Grill.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
So it appears to take 5 to 48 hours to cook meat in a Sous Vida. What is the draw? Grilling a nice T-Bone: 30 minutes to get the charcoal ready. 10 minutes or less to cook the steak. Drink a Beer while Steak is on the Grill.

You can take a cheap extremely tough piece of meat and it will come out very tender with the 48-hour Sous Vide. That's just one of the benefits. I've found I only use my Sous Vide for steaks or other meat. There are people that use it for veggies and their whole meal but for me that is taking it to the extreme.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can take a cheap extremely tough piece of meat and it will come out very tender with the 48-hour Sous Vide. That's just one of the benefits. I've found I only use my Sous Vide for steaks or other meat. There are people that use it for veggies and their whole meal but for me that is taking it to the extreme.

Yup, that bottom round roast that was in for 2 days was really tender. It will eventually make some tasty enchiladas , tacos or sandwiches. I was thinking about taking the Sous Vide to Mexico this winter and just use a bucket to cook in and then use the searing tool. I think the searing tool will be great for searing tuna.

I am going to try chicken hindquarters but not tonight. The wife says she will surprise me tonight. I bet its Chinese take out.

Bill

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love kitchen gadgets, but we're a bit space challenged. (I'd rather a full size pantry than an 'appliance garage') I'm still trying to justify an air-fryer. And while tenderizing tough meat cuts sounds good, for just two of us, I think sous-vide will remain on the 'not now' list.